Turdak's Sanctum, YASD and ramblings

The tower awaits!

Re: Turdak's Sanctum, YASD and ramblings

Postby Ferret » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Yeah, Orb of Power gets a bonus level of Mind resistance in exchange for always being weak to Slash, Impact, and Pierce. They actually start Mind immune if they pick Mind as their primary element. :D The extra Mind resistance can be really great... but being weak to Physical definitely has real downsides. :(
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:24 pm

Behold, a textfile dump!
Code: Select all
Summoner Shrek...
was chosen by the Eye of the Dragon,
selected Impact and Movement as their starting elements,
is currently at Tower:4,
and is still alive!

--==== Main Character ===--

Name : Shrek
Level: 3
MaxHP: 49
MaxSP: 100

Strength: 20
Magic   : 8
Vitality: 16
Agility : 13
Cunning : 8

Resist: Body
Weak  : Electricity

Abilities Known:
1) Gluttony (Type: Body, Passive. Provides a 50% increase in healing and MaxHP bonuses from drains and abilities that heal based on damage dealt.)
2) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
3) Juggernaut (Type: Defense, Passive. When your last action was movement or a movement ability, you have 25% improved defense and your next turn comes faster when damaged.)
4) Evade Step (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 33% chance to dodge attacks when your last action was movement or a movement ability.)
5) Ghost Pierce (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Moves you to different, randomly selected, position adjacent to the target.)
6) Evasion (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 10% chance to dodge attacks.)
7) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
8) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)

Inventory:
2 Heal gem
5 Heal stone
2 Chakra stone
1 Chakra gem
1 Trouble chime
1 Venom rune
2 Pure stone

--==== Current Party ===--

Name : Faerie
MaxHP: 36

Strength: 6
Magic   : 17
Vitality: 6
Agility : 20
Cunning : 16

Resist: Mind
Weak  : Fire

Abilities Known:
1) Lucky Charm (Type: Healing, 5 SP. Reduces Luck cooldown by 1 turn. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
2) Healing Charm (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 80 Power heal. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
3) Lucky Dodge (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 25% chance to dodge attacks. This works even when Stunned, Paralyzed, etc. Triggers a Luck cooldown when activated. Cooldown: Luck (3))
4) Reshape (Type: Healing, 0 SP. Removes all negative status effects, then applies a 125 Power heal. Cooldown: Endure (5))
5) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
6) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
7) ------------

Name : Zarlingee (Malingee)
MaxHP: 38

Strength: 24
Magic   : 5
Vitality: 10
Agility : 16
Cunning : 10

Resist: Fire
Weak  : Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Fierce Stab (Type: Pierce, 5 SP. 70 Power attack.)
2) Block Slash (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 33% chance to block Slash attacks.)
3) Block Pierce (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 33% chance to block Pierce attacks.)
4) Slash Dance (Type: Slash, 15 SP. 70 Power attack, enemies only. Also considered a movement ability. Cooldown: Breath (2))
5) Feral Claw (Type: Slash, 5 SP. 70 Power attack.)
6) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
7) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
8) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))

Name : Violent Zombie
MaxHP: 54

Magic   : 4
Vitality: 23
Agility : 9
Cunning : 5

Immune: Body Mind
Resist: Ice Dark
Weak  : Fire Electricity Light

Abilities Known:
1) Infectious Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 50% chance to apply to Infection, which hinders HP and SP recovery.)
2) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
3) Gluttony (Type: Body, Passive. Provides a 50% increase in healing and MaxHP bonuses from drains and abilities that heal based on damage dealt.)
4) Cleansing Cut (Type: Slash, 20 SP. 70 Power attack. Removes Infection, Poison, and Paralysis from you or a nearby ally.)
5) Slash Dance (Type: Slash, 15 SP. 70 Power attack, enemies only. Also considered a movement ability. Cooldown: Breath (2))
6) ------------
7) ------------
8) ------------

Name : Violent Will o' wisp
Level: 2
MaxHP: 40

Strength: 17
Vitality: 9
Agility : 15
Cunning : 11

Immune: Body
Resist: Slash Impact Pierce
Weak  : Electricity Light Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Ghost Pierce (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Moves you to different, randomly selected, position adjacent to the target.)
2) Evade Step (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 33% chance to dodge attacks when your last action was movement or a movement ability.)
3) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
4) Crusader Slash (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 50% chance to inflict Guilt, healing those who damage the target (excluding reactions).)
5) Bloodthirst (Type: Body, Passive. Heals you for 25% of the damage you deal with Slash, Impact, or Pierce abilities (affected by Body resistance).)
6) Malleable (Type: Healing, Passive. Improves natural HP regeneration and healing received (including from the Regen status effect) by 25%. Does not affect healing received based on dealing damage.)
7) Mob Cover (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 20% chance to dodge attacks when adjacent to an enemy other than the attacker.)
8) Slash Dance (Type: Slash, 15 SP. 70 Power attack, enemies only. Also considered a movement ability. Cooldown: Breath (2))

Name : Violent Freybug

Strength: 17
Magic   : 6
Vitality: 9
Cunning : 15

Resist: Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Hinder (Type: Debuff, 15 SP. 70% chance to reduce evasion by 20%.)
2) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
3) Low Profile (Type: Defense, Passive. Always dodge projectiles fired by allies unless directly targeted.)
4) Tormentor (Type: None, Passive. Restores 5 SP when you deal damage to one or more characters that have negative status effects.)
5) Crusader Slash (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 50% chance to inflict Guilt, healing those who damage the target (excluding reactions).)
6) Bloodthirst (Type: Body, Passive. Heals you for 25% of the damage you deal with Slash, Impact, or Pierce abilities (affected by Body resistance).)
7) ------------
8) ------------

Name : Vikhor
Level: 4

Strength: 11
Magic   : 11
Vitality: 11
Agility : 23
Cunning : 14

Resist: Ice Electricity Mind
Weak  : Pierce

Abilities Known:
1) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
2) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
3) Spin Slash (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Also considered a movement ability.)
4) Evade Step (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 33% chance to dodge attacks when your last action was movement or a movement ability.)
5) Parry (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 33% chance to parry Melee and Direct range Slash, Impact, and Pierce abilities if your last used ability was also such.)
6) Bloodthirst (Type: Body, Passive. Heals you for 25% of the damage you deal with Slash, Impact, or Pierce abilities (affected by Body resistance).)
7) Slash Dance (Type: Slash, 15 SP. 70 Power attack, enemies only. Also considered a movement ability. Cooldown: Breath (2))
8) Mob Cover (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 20% chance to dodge attacks when adjacent to an enemy other than the attacker.)

Name : Jiang shi

Strength: 15
Vitality: 14
Cunning : 9

Abilities Known:
1) Leech Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt (affected by Body resistance).)
2) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
3) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
4) Bloodthirst (Type: Body, Passive. Heals you for 25% of the damage you deal with Slash, Impact, or Pierce abilities (affected by Body resistance).)
5) ------------
6) ------------

Name : Lifegiver Slime
Level: 1
MaxHP: 52

Strength: 14
Magic   : 10
Vitality: 19
Agility : 3

Weak  : Pierce Fire Ice Electricity Body Light

Abilities Known:
1) Heavy Blow (Type: Impact, 5 SP. 70 Power attack.)
2) Block Impact (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 33% chance to block Impact attacks.)
3) Reshape (Type: Healing, 0 SP. Removes all negative status effects, then applies a 125 Power heal. Cooldown: Endure (5))
4) Malleable (Type: Healing, Passive. Improves natural HP regeneration and healing received (including from the Regen status effect) by 25%. Does not affect healing received based on dealing damage.)
5) Healing Charm (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 80 Power heal. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
6) Regenerate (Type: Healing, 25 SP. Bestows Regeneration, restoring health over time.)
7) ------------
8) ------------

--==== Recently Slain Allies ===--

Name : Gandayah
MaxHP: 35
MaxSP: 125

Strength: 9
Magic   : 14
Vitality: 18
Agility : 7
Cunning : 7

Resist: Electricity

Abilities Known:
1) Cleanse (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Poison, Infection, and Paralysis.)
2) Refresh (Type: Healing, 5 SP. Transfers up to 20 SP from the user to the target.)
3) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
4) ------------
5) ------------

Name : Raicho
MaxHP: 27

Strength: 4
Magic   : 7
Vitality: 4
Agility : 23
Cunning : 17

Resist: Electricity
Weak  : Slash Impact Pierce Body Mind

Abilities Known:
1) Shocking Touch (Type: Electricity, 5 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 10% chance to inflict Shock, causing the target to miss their next turn.)
2) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
3) High Voltage (Type: Electricity, Passive. Increases your chance to apply Shock by 50% of the original chance.)
4) ------------
5) ------------

Name : Zar

Strength: 10
Magic   : 13
Vitality: 10

Resist: Mind Dark
Weak  : Light

Abilities Known:
1) Feral Claw (Type: Slash, 5 SP. 70 Power attack.)
2) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
3) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
4) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
5) ------------
6) ------------
7) ------------

Name : Goblin

Strength: 12
Magic   : 9
Vitality: 12

Resist: Fire
Weak  : Mind

Abilities Known:
1) Low Profile (Type: Defense, Passive. Always dodge projectiles fired by allies unless directly targeted.)
2) Mob Cover (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 20% chance to dodge attacks when adjacent to an enemy other than the attacker.)
3) Evasion (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 10% chance to dodge attacks.)
4) Dash (Type: None, 20 SP. Move to the target position instantly. Cooldown: Charge (8))
5) ------------
6) ------------
7) ------------
8) ------------

This character started out with Stunning Blow and Mighty Roar, which was cool for a while but I ultimately got rid of all that in favor of an evade step+ghost pierce+Juggernaut+Swiftness and flesh+souleater+gluttony, which seems to be working well despite splitting stats between Strength and Agility. I didn't manage to get Headless, but I think I got something better- a Violent Zombie with Slash Dance, and Vikhor. Catching Vikhor was a near thing, my Zar managed to hit him with Panic in the first rounds of the chase, and even then I barely managed to follow him with Swiftness. Now Vikhor looks a LOT like my winning Turdak did.

I sacrificed a Zar to a Malingee via Mind Matrix, so there's a lot of Pounce, Calm, and Yellow Whisper floating through my team.
I also ended up using LURING to get a Violent Will o Wisp and a Violent Freybug from the same pack, but I promise I'm not planning on exploiting my pre-luring bugfix build any more. They both came with Crusader Slash and Bloodthirst, which is neat. but not incredibly amazing.

What IS amazing is the tile for this Lifegiver Slime I found. It looks delicious! I didn't really need another healer but I had a Goblin to get rid of anyway and I really wanted to admire that tile...
wizzzargh

Postby Ferret » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:18 am

I also ended up using LURING to get a Violent Will o Wisp and a Violent Freybug from the same pack, but I promise I'm not planning on exploiting my pre-luring bugfix build any more.

Teasing with grumpy ferret pictures aside, capturing Vihkor is always a worthy accomplishment. :D Good job on that. :) I'd give you a cookie, but you seem to have already found some grape jello. :P
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:13 am

Doof! Shrek the Lurer died to my own stupidity against Asrai and I didn't miss him much, but I rolled up a new random character with Numbing Bite, Leech Bite, and Yellow Whisper and got obliterated by Haietlik- I dived in to do my usual 1-turn combo of Pounce, Yellow Whisper, then Daring Cut, but I got stunlocked to death by electricity. That's the danger of characters who heal on damage and kills- if you're not damaging and killing, you don't have any defensive passives to save your bacon if a pack of enemies get lucky rolls and disable you.

I also discovered one of the annoyances of picking Fairy as your starter- if you're trying to kill a Malingee or Echeneis, the fairy will happily heal themselves of 2HP of damage rather than deliver the finishing blow. I had a very low-demon early game because of this and losing multiple demons to 1 1/2 Kasha packs. But I made a good comeback after that and I rather liked the party that was coming together (though that Holy Chindi was torn between 4 different light/dark cooldown abilities and was probably not going to be super useful...).

The early game really was rough, though- I had to use a Blizzard Rune and a Venom Rune to handle a pack of 3 Huo Shuo, recruiting one and killing the other, and use a Gold Offering on the Deadly Jiang Shi. Definitely could have run into trouble without those early items...

Code: Select all
Demon Party Dump File
Version 12/15/2015, Scoring Model: 8/22/2015
Dump file created at: 12/16/2015 22:57:57

Summoner Ghouly Ghoul...
was chosen by the Hand of the Dead,
selected Pierce and Mind as their starting elements,
is currently at Tower:6,
and is quite dead!

--==== Main Character ===--

Name : Ghouly Ghoul
Level: 5
MaxHP: 57

Strength: 18
Magic   : 9
Vitality: 15
Cunning : 18

Weak  : Light

Abilities Known:
1) Ghost Bite (Type: Pierce, 15 SP. 70 Power attack.)
2) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
3) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
4) Tormentor (Type: None, Passive. Restores 5 SP when you deal damage to one or more characters that have negative status effects.)
5) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
6) Daring Cut (Type: Slash, 20 SP. 70 Power attack. Briefly increases your or a nearby ally's offense by 25%.)
7) Bloodthirst (Type: Body, Passive. Heals you for 25% of the damage you deal with Slash, Impact, or Pierce abilities (affected by Body resistance).)
8) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))

Inventory:
1 Bolt rune
1 Heart rune
1 Meteor rune
1 Curse rune
1 Flame rune
2 Chakra stone
1 White essence
1 Heal stone
2 Pain rune
1 Night rune
1 Pure gem
1 Student's tome
1 Pure stone
1 Silver matrix

--==== Current Party ===--

Name : Kasha
MaxHP: 44

Strength: 10
Magic   : 14
Vitality: 13
Agility : 20

Resist: Fire Light Dark
Weak  : Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Fiery Claw (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 85 Power attack split between Slash and Fire. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration.)
2) Fiery Veil (Type: Fire, Reactive. Responds to damage dealt to you by adjacent characters with a 20 Power attack that has a 13% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration. Cannot miss.)
3) Weigh Sin (Type: Light, 15 SP. 70% chance to inflict Guilt, healing those who damage the target (excluding reactions).)
4) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
5) Firestarter (Type: Fire, Passive. Increases your chance to apply Ignite by 50% of the original chance.)
6) Diehard (Type: Defense, Passive. Prevents death, except by Ignite or Poison damage. May trigger an Endure cooldown when activated (more damage dealt = higher chance). Cooldown: Endure (5))
7) Tormentor (Type: None, Passive. Restores 5 SP when you deal damage to one or more characters that have negative status effects.)
8) Fade (Type: Buff, 10 SP. Briefly improves evasion by 25%. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (5))

Name : Headless
MaxHP: 61

Strength: 18
Vitality: 31
Agility : 10
Cunning : 10

Weak  : Electricity Light

Abilities Known:
1) Infectious Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 50% chance to apply to Infection, which hinders HP and SP recovery.)
2) Inspiring Cut (Type: Slash, 20 SP. 70 Power attack. Briefly increases your or a nearby ally's accuracy by 25%.)
3) Daring Cut (Type: Slash, 20 SP. 70 Power attack. Briefly increases your or a nearby ally's offense by 25%.)
4) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
5) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
6) Diehard (Type: Defense, Passive. Prevents death, except by Ignite or Poison damage. May trigger an Endure cooldown when activated (more damage dealt = higher chance). Cooldown: Endure (5))
7) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
8) Block Slash (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 33% chance to block Slash attacks.)

Name : Deadly Jiang shi
MaxHP: 49

Magic   : 5
Vitality: 14
Agility : 18

Abilities Known:
1) Leech Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt (affected by Body resistance).)
4) Bloodthirst (Type: Body, Passive. Heals you for 25% of the damage you deal with Slash, Impact, or Pierce abilities (affected by Body resistance).)
5) Numbing Bite (Type: Pierce, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 35% chance to inflict Paralysis, causing the target to frequently miss their turns.)
6) Exhausting Bite (Type: Pierce, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Reduces the target's SP by 10.)
7) Diehard (Type: Defense, Passive. Prevents death, except by Ignite or Poison damage. May trigger an Endure cooldown when activated (more damage dealt = higher chance). Cooldown: Endure (5))
8) ------------

Name : Vikhor
MaxHP: 43

Strength: 12
Magic   : 12
Vitality: 12
Agility : 24
Cunning : 15

Resist: Ice Electricity Mind
Weak  : Pierce

Abilities Known:
1) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
3) Spin Slash (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Also considered a movement ability.)
5) Parry (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 33% chance to parry Melee and Direct range Slash, Impact, and Pierce abilities if your last used ability was also such.)
6) Fade (Type: Buff, 10 SP. Briefly improves evasion by 25%. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (5))
7) Diehard (Type: Defense, Passive. Prevents death, except by Ignite or Poison damage. May trigger an Endure cooldown when activated (more damage dealt = higher chance). Cooldown: Endure (5))
8) Bloodthirst (Type: Body, Passive. Heals you for 25% of the damage you deal with Slash, Impact, or Pierce abilities (affected by Body resistance).)

Name : Holy Chindi
MaxHP: 42

Magic   : 22
Vitality: 11
Agility : 11
Cunning : 22

Resist: Slash Pierce Ice Light Dark
Weak  : Impact Electricity

Abilities Known:
1) Vile Touch (Type: Body, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 50% chance to apply Infection, which hinders HP and SP recovery.)
2) Haunt (Type: Dark, 30 SP. Must target an enemy. Warps you adjacent to the enemy, and has two 70% chances to delay the enemy's next turn. Cooldown: Dark (6))
3) Blood Rot (Type: Body, Passive. When you apply Infection, Poison, or Paralysis, you have a 50% chance to reduce the target's offense by 20%.)
4) Snuff Out (Type: Dark, 25 SP. Attempts to instantly kill the target (lower HP = higher chance, 0% chance until 30% of maximum HP, 100% chance at 20%). Cooldown: Dark (3))
5) Humble (Type: Light, 20 SP. Must target a character whose HP is more than 50% of their maximum. 70 Power attack. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Light (3))
6) Punish (Type: Light, 15 SP. Must target a character whose last action was a damaging ability. 55 Power attack. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Light (3))
7) Weigh Sin (Type: Light, 15 SP. 70% chance to inflict Guilt, healing those who damage the target (excluding reactions).)
8) ------------

Name : Holy Faerie
MaxHP: 34

Magic   : 17
Vitality: 4
Cunning : 17

Resist: Mind Light

Abilities Known:
1) Lucky Charm (Type: Healing, 5 SP. Reduces Luck cooldown by 1 turn. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
2) Healing Charm (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 80 Power heal. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
3) Lucky Dodge (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 25% chance to dodge attacks. This works even when Stunned, Paralyzed, etc. Triggers a Luck cooldown when activated. Cooldown: Luck (3))
4) Exorcism (Type: Light, 25 SP. Must be used on a target weak to Light. 10-100 Power attack, based on the target's current HP (more HP = more Power). Cannot miss. Cooldown: Light (3))
5) Humble (Type: Light, 20 SP. Must target a character whose HP is more than 50% of their maximum. 70 Power attack. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Light (3))
6) Hinder (Type: Debuff, 15 SP. 70% chance to reduce evasion by 20%.)
7) ------------

Name : Holy Asrai
MaxHP: 43

Magic   : 28
Vitality: 5

Immune: Ice
Resist: Light

Abilities Known:
1) Freezing Touch (Type: Ice, 10 SP. 85 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
2) Frost Dart (Type: Ice, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
3) Arctic Veil (Type: Ice, Reactive. Responds to damage dealt to you by adjacent characters with a 20 Power attack that inflicts Chill, reducing the target's accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%. Cannot miss.)
4) Frostbite (Type: Ice, Passive. Your Ice attacks also reduce the target's SP by 5.)
5) Exorcism (Type: Light, 25 SP. Must be used on a target weak to Light. 10-100 Power attack, based on the target's current HP (more HP = more Power). Cannot miss. Cooldown: Light (3))
6) Humble (Type: Light, 20 SP. Must target a character whose HP is more than 50% of their maximum. 70 Power attack. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Light (3))
7) ------------
8) ------------

Name : Blessed Ogre
MaxHP: 55

Strength: 22
Vitality: 22
Agility : 10
Cunning : 8

Weak  : Fire Electricity Mind

Abilities Known:
1) Heavy Slash (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 85 Power attack.)
2) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
3) Juggernaut (Type: Defense, Passive. When your last action was movement or a movement ability, you have 25% improved defense and your next turn comes faster when damaged.)
4) Oppressor (Type: Dark, Passive. Increases defense by 25% against enemies with lower HP. (Bonus is affected by Dark resistance.))
5) Might (Type: Buff, 25 SP. Improves offense by 25%.)
6) Alert (Type: Buff, 25 SP. Improves evasion by 25%.)
7) ------------
8) ------------

I left out the recently slain allies, the only slightly interesting dead thing was a Lifegiver Raicho with Soothe and Uncurse.

This meleecharacter felt a lot better than the previous one, who was stronger in terms of passive defenses and dodging but lacked options. Having Ghost Bite alone made being a melee character much safer. Daring Cut was another good skill- I could leap into combat, spend a bunch of SP on Whisper and Daring cut to buff the party, then I could retreat and Ghost Bite wounded and afflicted enemies to regain HP and SP via Souleater, Tormentor, and Bloodthirst. I also spread my points around a lot more than usual, including an ill-advised +5 magic on level 2 when I had vague thoughts of building into an Ignite-based character.

When picking up Vikhor, I was able to Yellow Whisper him every time despite his alleged mind resistance and my low cunning, which made him very easy to catch- he got confused and then walled into a corner by my demons after a few Yellow Whispers.

I also saw a recruitment mechanic I rarely see but really like- the Holy Faerie wanted me to to teach it Hinder from my freybug. Another reason to maybe save training points, I suppose...
wizzzargh

Postby Ferret » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:52 am

Ouch. :( Yeah, Electricity is the nastier element at times because Shock can make it very spiky, especially with the high degree of exposure you get from a Haietlik pack. :(

Faerie starter issue: You can order your demons to attack a target, this *somewhat* overrides the pacifist tendencies of demons with no damage skills and encourages them to auto attack. Granted, a Faerie's auto attacks aren't much, but sometimes it makes the difference.

I've found most people tend to go heavy, heavy Dodge/Parry/Block type things when trying early melees. It can definitely work really well when they're applicable, but there are a fair variety of situations when they're not: crowd control, cannot miss attacks, damage-dealing status effects: there's plenty of bad things that can hurt you, and an ability bar with 6 somewhat narrow passives doesn't leave you with a lot of options when they aren't available.

I will say one thing I'm fond of on builds similar to your main character is I try to add Haunt + Pounce or Dash, particularly Dash. In this way, you have a way in and a way out on separate cooldowns. It probably wouldn't have changed the Haietlik situation given they're ranged, but I still wanted to throw it out there as a thought. :D

Re: Vihkor. He IS Mind resistant... but he has slightly iffy Vitality, and your Cunning was actually slightly above Average. At a rough guess, you probably had a 40%-45% chance to land Whisper on him. Still not awesome, but even if it landed 4 times out of 4, it could still happen 3-4% of the time or so. I did check and didn't immediately notice any bugs, but I put on the list for a re-check when it's not nearly 1am local time just in case I spaced out. :D

Yeah, training point demands are rare, but can be VERY useful if they come up. :) (Out of curiousity, did you use the "yes, but only if you join now" option? :D ) The demons tend to ask for abilities they like (Faerie for instance, will never ask for say, Infectious Bite :P) and that suit their natures, so their requests are more often than you'd expect in line with decent ideas for the character anyway. :) The request never happens if nobody with TP has an ability they want, which is why you may not see it often.
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:19 am

Yeah, I definitely tried to command the faerie to attack, but she was having none of it. I think that's a good thing that faeries are so reluctant to fight though, the temptation to just go Faerie for my starter every time is really strong. Could just be a matter of playstyle, but I have a much easier time when I start with a Faerie (plus, less downtime resting) and having a disadvantage in certain early recruitment links is well worth early Healing Charm.

Yeah, that sort of dodgetank is generally how I did melee for a long time. I mean, those are the abilities that are nigh-guaranteed in the early game, so it makes sense that they'd be popular. This game I didn't ever hold on to a goblin though, so I diverged from Mob Cover and am glad to have done so.

Good call on Haunt being used to get out, I've used Pounce on my own allies to escape but Haunt is a much better option (and on a different cooldown, so...)

I did not use the 'only if you join me now' option- at that point I had no healers and I was afraid I might scare off the faerie by getting too greedy. That faerie came with the Holy Asrai and I just wanted to disable both of them as soon as possible. Asrai links are still scary but so long as you have Soul Eater, you mostly only have to worry about the Asrai running out of mana and eagerly closing to melee with a horde of peasants. No, Asrai, no! But having a Jiang Shi is great for those links- they can singlehandedly hold off an entire corridor of peasants, letting you and your less-vampiric allies cluster around the Asrai and deal with the rest of the rabble.
wizzzargh

Postby Sandman25 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:48 pm

How did you get so many Holy demons? Luck like with Faerie or did you sacrifice Kasha or something? Holy Chindi must be awesome, having resistance instead of weakness...
Sandman25

Postby Sandman25 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:52 pm

Regarding too many Evasion-related abilities. I don't see better options, stuff like Flesheater or Whisper is even more limited since you need to kill something (and be wounded) or have enough SP, it's not like we have a multi-target 80 power attack for 5 SP which can be used under panic :)

I wonder what is the ideal set of abilities for melee Str-based character though.
Sandman25

Postby Sandman25 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Also as far as I understand there is a synergy between different +evasion abilities. For example, having just evasion+10% decreases your chance to be hit by 10% (90% instead of 100%) while in case when you also have +20% from Mob Cover, +25% from Fade and +33% from Evade Step you are 45% less likely to be hit (12% instead of 22%).
I had much fun with Antaeon who had everything of that and also Riposte, it was very hard to hit and I watched him Riposting often, even several times per turn sometimes.
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Other way around on Haunt. :D Haunt is enemy only, but Pounce and Dash don't care. :)

It's true the evasion abilities show up very early.. that may be a big part of why they get chosen so often. The +25% from Fade isn't a Dodge bonus though, it's just less chance to be hit, so the math is a little different on that one. :D
Ferret

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion