Save file erased itself when the power went out

Found a bug? Great! Post about it here!

Re: Save file erased itself when the power went out

Postby Ferret » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:06 am

Hmm... maybe, you said System Restore, so I assumed Windows. What OS are you on? (and if Windows, what specific version)

Also, you could try searching for a folder named Save_10_27_19, Demon's should be the only one.
Ferret

Postby Paul » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am

Widnows 10.

I put Save_10_27_19 into the search thing (searching under My PC) and it didn't find anything, but the search function might just be crap. And yes I was playing under the version 10.27.19
Paul

Postby Ferret » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:51 pm

Huh, I'm on Windows 10 myself. :( That's definitely the right folder name and I gave the same location it exists on my computer (other than account name of course) already. It's possible search isn't able to find stuff in the User folders for Windows reasons.

Only other thing I can suggest is manually digging through the user folder for your account, but I'm reluctant to encourage putting much effort into it; I should stress it's much more likely than not I won't be able to fix it even if we do find it (though at this point I'm curious where it's hiding your save file to begin with.)

I apologize again for all the trouble: I know losing a save game is pretty terrible. I will look into it again after the 3/1 release and see if I can improve the protections against it any further.
Ferret

Postby Paul » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:43 pm

Ok got it. Turns out I wasn't able to get to the app data location because I did not know I needed to click view hidden files and I did not know that was a thing till a more tech savy friend let me know. Let me try sending it again. Though if you can't fix it, I still appreciate the effort you put into this
Paul

Postby Ferret » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:14 am

Ah! I didn't remember those files were hidden by default, I likely turned that off myself long ago. I'm glad he was able to help with it though. I did get the file on my e-mail account just now, I'll check out it tomorrow morning when I'm back at my computer.
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Ugh, yeah, it's what I figured. :( You lost power before Windows decided to actually write the files Demon told it write, so there's nothing in them. You can see this for yourself by opening Tower_16_Data.xml and Tower_16_Data.xml.bak. If you open them in Notepad++, you'll just see the NUL character over and over, whereas opening Tower_15_Data.xml will show a variety of characters (jumbled in appearance due to how I format things, but obviously some kind of data as opposed to just the null character over and over.)

Your current party and its data are stored as part of the floor you're on, so if that file gets toasted, there's not anything left for me to work with restoring things. :(

All I can do is offer my deepest apologies, and reiterate that I will take another swing at this after the 3/1 release. But, as I said before, practically any program that stores data on your computer can lose that data if your computer loses power at certain times, so I'm not sure I will be able to assure a 100% success rate here. I will try to improve the odds again though.
Ferret

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:26 pm

No worries, it sucks but you did your best and i appreciate your effort, though I hope you do code future versisons so this is less likely to happen me or other player again
Paul

Postby Ferret » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:42 am

The thing that makes it frustrating is the problem would go away if I could just tell Windows "HEY, WRITE THIS FILE RIGHT NOW". But since I can't, it's possible for it to be sitting on both the backup *and* the real version, even though I never write to them at the same time in my code. So then you lose power, and both wipe, even though I'd told it to write the backup long before; it just decided not to actually do it when I said do it. Rrrr.

But, I will try fighting with it again, save game loss is pretty much a top-priority issue. :( Thanks for being understanding about it.
Ferret

Postby Paul » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:01 am

No worries. Though I have one more idea how you could fix my file if you're willing to try.

Since you said the data for floor 15 got corrupted, could you restore it from floor 14?
Paul

Postby Ferret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:45 am

Ah, no. 15 was fine, 16 is what got corrupted.

Problem is, Demon stores player data on the floor you're currently on. :( There's nothing in any other floor I can use to get your main character and his stable back, it would have all been in 16 where you were when you lost power.
Ferret

PreviousNext

Return to Bug Reports