My Second Serious Run+Grumbles

The tower awaits!

My Second Serious Run+Grumbles

Postby StagnantSoul » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:56 pm

So I found this game off the DF forums, gave it a few tries just when I was bored and never got past T5. Then I decided I'd try to be serious at a run or two, and that resulted in tonight.

My first run was a Titan's Fist with a faerie, my initial three was slime+faerie+wisp. I had a gaeyand... However you spell it, as backup, though he never came out, all he did was give Tireless to my Faerie then be melded into her to get her mend and flash heal. I grabbed a redcap and zombie, and started climbing up, soul armoring a Ogre because I didn't know what it did. Decided to fuse everyone with their opposing elements, a holy zombie, a second faerie turned vile, psychic redcap. We were doing oddly well, then... The Chindis came. A group of five chindis utterly swarmed me, boxing me in and slapping me over and over, not one of my demons died while I did. Those things are so annoying, they even caused problems for my second. Chindis op plz nerf.

Then I went in again, this time I went in with a Hand of The Dead, Dark-mind this time, got myself to around 100 hp pretty fast. Managed to grab both Triad Ward and Block Physical off of corpses early on, not much could really kill me. I started with a Wisp, and quickly grabbed a Faerie and slime. Upon fusing my Wisp and Slime into a Solid Wisp, I saw the most op anti-melee thing there is. Resistant to all the melee abilities with block physical and stone stance I believe it's called, where you gain defense from not moving. I nabbed both Artemis and Headless in the same quick trip, as well as an ogre I turned Violent. Really though, everyone played second fiddle to my wisp, once I gave him Artemis' poison and Juggernaut, he just didn't go down ever while tossing out poison for everyone. I stole a ton of touch abilities, killing SP, chilling, shocking, poisoning, anything I could do with a poke I did it. Using my constantly oversized health pool I just facetanked everything while the Wisp slaughtered, Artemis provided ranged support and a Lifegiver Faerie and Nero swapped places every once and a while when one of their sp pools drained. I had fused Headless into Artemis, nothing spectacular really. We slaughtered our way through everything till we met our second hero... Maedvra. Two shotting me down to 10 hp, I slid to the back row and let the wisp take over. The fighting went on forever, neither able to touch each other and when they did healing made it all irrelevant. Fifteen IRL minutes later we run out of chakra stones and sp on both healers, and suddenly Maedvra starts edging out slowly, slowly. I recalled Wisp when he had 2 hp left, pulled out Artemis. Two shots later shes down, Maedvra rushes to me and one shots me and proceeded to slice me down until I finally died. I couldn't run, every time I tried she'd just catch up and slam me to the ground. How do you beat this chick?

Very fun game once you give it a proper shot, can't wait to see where it goes. Also, please put a yes/no on enemy lure... Almost got me killed twice when I was trying to press another button and suddenly the enemy gets reinforcements. Very useful skill for things like hiring nero/kasha or when you need just a little xp.
StagnantSoul

Re: My Second Serious Run+Grumbles

Postby 2tousent » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm

My head canon is that whenever Madevra scores a kill she goes: "Another one bites the dust!".

Nice to see more people enjoying the game too.
2tousent

Postby StagnantSoul » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Uuuuuuuhm... Is Vikhors Sanctum supposed to have a level 20 archangel? Thankfully I had an offering, now this baby's going to be the centerpiece of my team.. I think. Maybe.
StagnantSoul

Postby greattuna » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 pm

To beat Madevra, you need ranged attackers + someone to tank her hits, very preferably light-immune (or at least resistant). She'll recover a lot of health off guilt otherwise. Don't let your demons cluster around her in melee range!
You can also use items. You probably should, because ranged demons are not common at this point of game.

Rarely, a tower branch will have an overleveled demon roaming inside. It's not uncommon, but completely normal. Congratulations on nabbing one, they'll be pretty useful down the road.

And yes, archangels are pretty nice fellows to have around. Add some more passives and their grand cleave will... well, cleave, but don't forget about SP management, too.
greattuna

Postby Ferret » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 am

Hi StagnantSoul, and welcome to the forum :D

Gandayahs and their Tireless ability are pretty good transfers to almost any friends. 25 SP doesn't sound like much, but it makes a pretty big difference, especially if you get some other SP goodies to stack with it.

Chindi are one of the earlier examples of the fact that enemies actually know how to focus fire too, they just usually can't due to position or other demons in the way. :D Cases where neither are issues (enemies with 'warp-to-target' stuff like Pounce, or especially Haunt, which doesn't even require much of a landing zone) are always going to be nasty. The best advice I have is: 1) Two iffy healers can be better than one great one when it comes to countering focus fire, 2) Don't forget your items!

Maddie's a bit of a jerk: every hero...well...almost every hero tends to be. :P The advice from greattuna about her is good, but you can always try running away too. It's *relatively* easy to run from most encounters in Demon, especially if you don't mind sacrificing an ally or two: let enemies engage some allies, move yourself a bit out of sight, then (if your allies are still alive) unsummon and continue the retreat. It's not foolproof, and it can be expensive if you aren't managing to do it without losses, but with practice you can develop some strategies to improve the results of this play.

That's a fair suggestion on Enemy Lure, I've added it to my bug list. :D Can't promise it will show up in the Matter build (pretty close to release to go expanding the list), but I won't forget it. :D Thank you!

I'm glad you're having fun with Demon, and thank you for the feedback. :D Good luck in the Tower!

PS: As greattuna said, yep, you do sometimes find really weirdly out of depth stuff in the side branches. :D But hey, whether you run in horror, kill them for a giant chunk of XP, or somehow manage to recruit them, it's sure to be memorable. :D
Ferret

Postby Saler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Welcome, StagnantSoul :D
You sure had some good luck with your runs so far - one of the best fusion skill gains I could immagine on that Lifegiver Faerie (I guess Flash Heal + Lifeweaver would be better), and then you get both Block Physical and Triad Ward on your next run.
You seem to be mostly fusing for resistances. It is a good choice, but, personally, I prefer to fuse for stats. In case of Blessed, Cursed and Lifegiver, you can easily fuse for skills also. I'm guessing it could also work with Vile and Psychic, but I never got a chance to try.
Maderva if definetly one of the most damgerous enemies in the game so far. another early game nasties to watch out for are Paracelsus, Anzu and Aerases. The last one is pluralised because it's not unique in any way.
There are 2 pieces of advice I can think of at the moment:
1) Shift+v show your party's weakness/resistance summary. Very usefull to make sure you aren't to weak to a certain ellement.
2) Quick Dismiss is a very good Upgrade. It makes managing your summoned demons mid fight much easier. I always get it as my first upgrade.
Ferret wrote:It's funny because I mostly intended them to be a support unit: the one attack and the high Strength were more a nod to them being bears than anything else. :D
Saler

Postby StagnantSoul » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:45 am

Saler wrote:Welcome, StagnantSoul :D
You sure had some good luck with your runs so far - one of the best fusion skill gains I could immagine on that Lifegiver Faerie (I guess Flash Heal + Lifeweaver would be better), and then you get both Block Physical and Triad Ward on your next run.
You seem to be mostly fusing for resistances. It is a good choice, but, personally, I prefer to fuse for stats. In case of Blessed, Cursed and Lifegiver, you can easily fuse for skills also. I'm guessing it could also work with Vile and Psychic, but I never got a chance to try.
Maderva if definetly one of the most damgerous enemies in the game so far. another early game nasties to watch out for are Paracelsus, Anzu and Aerases. The last one is pluralised because it's not unique in any way.
There are 2 pieces of advice I can think of at the moment:
1) Shift+v show your party's weakness/resistance summary. Very usefull to make sure you aren't to weak to a certain ellement.
2) Quick Dismiss is a very good Upgrade. It makes managing your summoned demons mid fight much easier. I always get it as my first upgrade.

I enjoyed the micro portion of the Crown relic, though it's skills feel lacking, I honestly think I'm going to go for it, then tool like a healer and just grab healing skills. Since the stats start generalized I'll have an easy time doing as such too. I usually grab enemy lure, it has given me some interesting demons early and also let me catch a nero easily.
StagnantSoul

Postby StagnantSoul » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Damn, even with a Violent Zombie with poison and lifesteal on his hits+a Headless with a similar setup who reduced her physical resistences to weaknesses, Madevra still hurts. Both were applying infection while me and an Aithir applying poison 2 and ignite and spamming unmissable light spells. We still lost. She never dipped below 60 hp, even after I calmed everyone back then wind carded twice she just caught up and restarted the fight...

Madevra stop touching my butt!

Also, I'm kind of curious at the viability of teaching every one of your melees low profile and spamming life and vitality siphon at everyone... Keep the bolt spells around too obviously.
StagnantSoul

Postby Saler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Maderva is one of the nastiest heroes there is. There are 2-3 heroes that are worse, but they appear later, so you will be more prepeared for them. Probably.
As it has been said earlier, the key to fighting Maderva is having only 1 of your demons engage her in melee. Preferably a non-Light weak one, so it can last a few rounds without getting Guilted. Even with 1 Guilted target she has a good chance of outhealing your damage. Friar Rush is Light resistant an has decent melee capacity, so he might be a good choice. An Angel might work to, if you find one - Light immunity, Protect, Mending and decent survivability. Strong melee oriented demon in general are good for fighting her. Other demons should inflict status effects, use buffs/debuffs, attack from range or heal. If you see one approach her into melee, dismiss it before it gets Guilted. Also, she has Cleansing Cut, so any Body status effect probably will last a very short while. And Light doesn't work very well on her.
I'm not sure if Siphons work with Low Profile. They are Ranged, not Projectile.
Ferret wrote:It's funny because I mostly intended them to be a support unit: the one attack and the high Strength were more a nod to them being bears than anything else. :D
Saler

Postby StagnantSoul » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:28 am

How hard would it be to replicate Madevra? Or something pretty close to her.
StagnantSoul

Next

Return to General Discussion