Winning with starting demons

The tower awaits!

Winning with starting demons

Postby Elysium » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Is it possible to win with the starting demons, or at least the demons you get on the first few floors? (i.e. Malingee, Raicho, etc), and what sort of skills/fusion would it take? Or do they fall out of usefulness as time goes on? I think it would be really cool if the early demons could somehow retain usefulness throughout the tower, but that's just my opinion.
Elysium

Re: Winning with starting demons

Postby Remora » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:52 pm

I have won with several of the starting demons, albeit only one at a time. One run I think I was actually very close to winning with three of them. Anyway, they do become less useful due to EXP penalties so oftentimes they run out of usefulness later on. I figure that a clever-enough player could figure out how to keep one highly useful throughout the whole tower, though. At best, I recall having a gandayah with unconquerable and reshape, which for a brief time was oddly the most durable member of my party in that run.
Remora

Postby oneeyedjoe » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:08 pm

The best build for starting demon probably would be buffer in that case. Few updates ago I recall seeing whirling raicho built for buffing on a high level ghost.
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:36 am

Hm... once I get to adding traits in, might be able to swing a trait given to your first demon (or, perhaps, other demons under certain conditions) that removes the XP penalty. I'd have to be careful with allowing it for outside of the starter demon though: the XP penalty is one of Demon's fallback balancing features (i.e.: If you somehow end up with an "overpowered" ally, you will eventually outgrow it and have to replace it.)
Ferret

Postby Bormoth » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:51 am

I don't understand game fully yet, but why not try to make leveling exp, same as your character, or lock maximum level of demons to level you are in.(On main floor) So if you overlevel your demon it would stay it's level and gain level once it is valid next time he would gain exp.
Maybe it is too much but I thought having demons level up is a way to get them past adventure, and if they go offchart it is either leveling curve or oddity which could be fixed by temporary level cap. I mean something like this:

Maxlvl= Blvl+Flvl - Dlvl
Where BLvl - base level, Flvl - current floor, Dlvl - floor on which demon is found (or minimal floor it could be found) floor is taken without branches in account(or maybe with bonus. That way early monsters could grow more, especially if they hit high level monsters.

Another reason is once there would be traits there would be more and more desire to stick to certain demons because of trait, and if they would fall off too far it wouldn't be critical, but this would make them less valid slot in your team past certain point.
Bormoth

Postby Ferret » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:44 pm

Not sure I follow entirely, but the short answer I think is that demons eventually fall off in penalty is to make sure you don't get to create one single super demon that wins the entire game for you: eventually, it falls behind in levels and isn't super anymore.

Uniques are a good example of this: many uniques have great resistance packages and/or stats that you can, through Fuse Demons, make into real powerhouses. I don't mind you getting to use these for 10 or even 15 floors, but at some point they have to fall by the wayside or you end up with everyone beating the game with Headless, Ccoa, and Friar Rush as their main party. :P
Ferret

Postby Troubler » Wed May 16, 2018 3:05 am

I had a clever solution to this in the car when driving to work. It was pure genius, but I forgot it moments later
I didn't know about a penalty before I read this thread though. I guess I should get less sentimental.
Troubler

Postby Ferret » Wed May 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Hey Troubler, welcome to the forum. :D

If you think of the idea again later, please post it. :D I hope you're enjoying Demon in the meantime.
Ferret

Postby Troubler » Thu May 17, 2018 2:24 am

Nice to be here. I've been enjoying the game a lot.
I'm just remembering SMT, where my biggest problem was that the monsters didn't level.
There were a lot of demons I grew attached to but hated to inevitably delete for some random dragon-thing later.
When I saw the demons leveling up in this game it got me pretty excited, I see the balance issues though.

I'll drop something in the suggestions board. Just noticed this thread is a year old.
Troubler

Postby Ferret » Fri May 18, 2018 3:59 am

:D Glad to hear you've been enjoying Demon.

I wouldn't sweat where you post toooo much, at least between here and Suggestions. We're a pretty quiet place most of the time, so it'd be hard to miss a post that's a little out of place, and if something pops up that's way out of place I can always just move it. Answers like that wouldn't work if we had 100s of posts a day, but when it's more like 100s of posts a year, it's fine. :D
Ferret

Return to General Discussion