Experimental Build 1 (5/11/2017)

Announcements, feedback, suggestions, and bug reports related to Experimental Build 1.

Re: Experimental Build 1 (5/11/2017)

Postby Ferret » Fri May 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Yeah. :P The only difference it would have made is that you would have made a very grumpy forum post. :D
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Wed May 24, 2017 8:11 pm

So I met Mordecai, got stunned and pummeled by him and his bandits 2 turns out of 4 and died without losing any maxHP. I'm pretty sure this was the work of Diehard, but I also had bonus maxHP from Vigor Siphon so that could have been a weird interaction too, maybe? (Also, thanks for nothing Block Physical! :x )

Yes I know experimental build 1b is out but I was still playing the old one, so if this bug has already been fixed just dismiss me as being woefully behind the times.

Also

I thought this was a bug at first, but then I realized it totally made sense for someone who died of sickness to not want to get sick again.
wizzzargh

Postby Ferret » Wed May 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Ack! That.. shouldn't happen. :( I don't know of anything that'd have fixed it in 1b either, the Eternal Glory bug was specific to that. :( I'll do some testing with Diehard and MaxHP.. though, worthy of note is that if the fatal blow can't be afforded by MaxHP, you do just die without it hitting bottom... is it possible he could have just killed you outright? i.e.: Were you Hexed or some such, perhaps? I'll look into it though. spooky to have it happen one day before I make an actual build of this though! :(

Re: Acheri

:D
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Thu May 25, 2017 1:59 am

Ferret wrote:is it possible he could have just killed you outright?

I mean, Mordecai does MAD damage, but I'm pretty sure that didn't happen- I wasn't surrounded by bandits or hexed or anything, it was just 2 bandits and then Mordecai (who only showed up the last 2 turns too)... But I DID die in 2 of my actions and was very surprised when my 'mash enter to advance through the stun-turn messages' turned into the 'you so ded' screen so I have to admit I didn't get a good look at my maxHP before I was looking at the 'Start new game' screen.

But! There was never any 'Your Relic Struggles to Keep You Alive' message for maxHP drain in the log, and that's what changed my initial opinion from 'gee golly I sure died fast' to 'now hold on just a sec'

Code: Select all
Turdak looks refreshed.
 Mordecai swaps places with Reprobus.
 The bandit hits you.
 Your acheri points at the bandit.
 Your acheri chokes the bandit.
 Your acheri dances strangely.
 The bandit is infected! (x3)
 Your ehlose gestures widely.
 Mordecai resists.
 The bandit looks vulnerable!
 Your ehlose looks refreshed.
 You are no longer stunned.
 Using Mind Scream...
 Mind Scream can only be centered on
 yourself. Press Enter to execute, Escape to
 cancel.
 You project a mental scream.
 You psi-blast the bandit. (x4)
 You psi-blast Mordecai.
 Reprobus ignores the attack!
 You feel refreshed.
 Turdak slashes the bandit.
 Turdak kills the bandit!!
 The druj nasu seems pleased.
 Turdak looks refreshed.
 The bandit is paralyzed!
 Turdak looks refreshed.
 Mordecai leaps at you. Mordecai rends you.
 You are stunned!
 The bandit hits you. (x2)
 You stagger , barely staying upright!
 Your acheri gestures at Mordecai.
 Mordecai resists.
 Your ehlose gestures widely.
 The bandit will be vulnerable longer!
 Mordecai resists.
 The bandit will be vulnerable longer! (x2)
 Turdak kills the bandit!!
 The druj nasu seems pleased.
 The druj nasu joins your party!!
 Druj nasu was added to your personal Codex
 Daemonium.
 Turdak looks refreshed.
 Mordecai lets loose a mighty roar.
 Mordecai hits Turdak.
 It's super effective!
 Mordecai hits you.
 You die...
wizzzargh

Postby Ferret » Thu May 25, 2017 2:45 am

::nod:: Definitely no relic struggling there. :(

I'll investigate some more... though, with heart in my throat, I will probably release 5/25 tomorrow (non-experimental version of 5/18, with a few more bug fixes and tweaks) even if I don't find it. It definitely isn't a 100% thing with Diehard and bonus MaxHP, at least in my testing so far, and nothing obvious jumps out at me in code, so hopefully this hubris won't come back to bite* me even if I didn't happen to fix it while I was fixing Eternal Glory.

* - It's totally going to show up on someone's Twitch stream, most likely someone with 10,000+ followers who yells a lot. mutter. But I don't like delaying builds I've given dates for...
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 pm

By the by, on a summoner in Relic Preservation mode, a solid hit from Mordecai can remove around 70-80 MaxHP, no DEFDown or Hexing required. He really does hit like a damn truck. :P But, I still haven't been able to reproduce a case where he kills me without doing enough damage to do so, regardless of MaxHP bonuses and/or Diehard. :(

The "good" news is that the nature of this bug makes it highly likely to be reported if it is still around and happens again. :P Though if it keeps happening and I still can't figure out why, the list of solutions starts to look like "remove Diehard" :|
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Thu May 25, 2017 9:23 pm

WAIT: I might be close. I found a situation where he can kill you and bypass Eternal Glory... this might be related...

EDIT: Nevermind, different bug I created by making sure MaxHP is set to 0 before a summoner dies. (Eternal Glory used to not restore MaxHP, so it was coded not to trigger at 0 MaxHP.)
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 pm

Ferret wrote:By the by, on a summoner in Relic Preservation mode, a solid hit from Mordecai can remove around 70-80 MaxHP

Hmm... I did have 91 max HP ignoring anything I may have had from vigor siphon, so that's pretty close to an instant 'noHP' to 'noMaxHP' in one hit... but I would have thought the bandits would have triggered some 'struggles to keep you alive' messages somewhere in there.

Hopefully I'm missing something on my side, like I actually walked into the fight at 40 maxHP or WAS secretly hexed something stupid and there's no bug... but I was pretty sure I had bonus maxHP from vigor siphon (which was why I, y'know, walked in front of my demons in the first place) and wasn't hexed.

But, this WAS a near-full mana Mighty Roar with Battle Cry giving the offensive boost, too, so that would have been even huger than his typical attack- maybe it did just manage to creep up to enough damage to 1 hit my maxHP bar?
wizzzargh

Postby Ferret » Thu May 25, 2017 10:42 pm

It's possible a full on 91 MaxHP could happen in that circumstances...

No bandits triggered relic preservation messages seems to have been because none hit you at all after Diehard's failure message ("You stagger , barely staying upright!") showed up. Mordecai's hit was the next one you took after Diehard failed, and it according to this one shot through your entire MaxHP.

Regardless, even if this wasn't an actual bug, the report got to me look into this stuff more, which helped find the amusing but also horrifying "Mordecai hits you! You quit." bug I just showed on the blog. :P This is why I always appreciate bug reports, even if the original bug is a ghost: it pretty much always turns out to be a good idea to look at newly touched but rarely used parts of the code. :D
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Fri May 26, 2017 12:13 am

Haha what the heck

how did that even become a thing
wizzzargh

PreviousNext

Return to Experimental Build 1