Enemy Sense Revamp

Discussions about possible changes and new features that might happen someday.

Enemy Sense Revamp

Postby Ferret » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:28 pm

WHAT'S GOING ON?

Enemy Sense in its current form has three problems:
1) It effectively is doing two unrelated and powerful things at once: letting you detect monsters, and giving you extra encounters (extra XP)
2) Players feel the need to take it just so they don't miss or have to manually search for encounters on each floor.
3) The automated nature of the extra encounter sometimes results in unfortunate occurrences, including a notable case where a player got blocked into a dead-end when a *summoner* spawned in the only hallway out of that part of the level. This probably will only get worse once Relic Wraiths are in, since this will be able to spawn them too.

PROPOSED CHANGES

1) Fully exploring a level will automatically give you Enemy Sense's current effect on that level. No upgrade required.
2) Enemy Sense the upgrade will reveal all enemies on the level.
3) A new upgrade, Enemy Lure, will be added. Enemy Lure can be activated once per floor (from the Transmutations menu) to spawn an additional encounter. Note that Enemy Lure does *not* require the Enemy Sense upgrade has a pre-req.
4) Vodun Mask will retain Enemy Sense (in its new form) as its starting upgrade, since it still pairs well with Far Summon I. Also, because I don't want new players to stumble unwittlingly into an upgrade that will now be dangerous to use (as Enemy Lure will be, due to the possibility of calling Relic Wraiths with it.) Cryptid positions will be slightly adjusted so that purchasing Enemy Lure as your XL5 upgrade gives you the ability to find them all (which is almost true anyway, but worth underlining here.)
5) Old-school Enemy Sense was interpreted by AI summoners as an XP bonus and a greatly boosted chance to have cryptids in their stable. With these changes, Enemy Sense will be just an XP bonus (since if they were a player, it would prevent them from missing encounters on a level), and Enemy Lure will be an XP bonus + cryptid chance (since it of course allows extra encounters.)

NOTES

In previous posts, even recently, I had discussed splitting the Enemy Sense detect monster effect even further, into two separate upgrades. I want to hold back on that for now and see how much mileage I can get out of fixing the obvious problems (the upgrade basically doing two things at once) before I make changes that address what are currently only theoretical problems. :P

Since the Relic Wraith change more or less requires Enemy Lure not be automated, this change is slated for the next build.

Finally, this is *not* part of the second pass on relic upgrades. That will be a bigger deal and I'll be noisy about it when I happens. This is a fix to a specific upgrade, in part to adapt it properly to a new system. It is not anticipated that any other upgrade changes will happen in the Relic Wraiths build.
Ferret

Re: Enemy Sense Revamp

Postby mbj » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:53 am

Ok. Also I didn't realize that far summon and enemy sense were supposed to synergize. I think it's because it's hard to tell where the edge of your line of sight is on the minimap. I propose the additional change of displaying red blobs out of LOS on the main screen for enemy sensed demons. Or does this already happen and I haven't noticed :?:
mbj

Postby Ferret » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:06 am

Hmm... that's not a bad idea. :D It doesn't happen at the moment, no. I'll see what it would take to do that, but it might have to wait the build after this, we'll see how time looks. :)
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:54 pm

The original proposal is implemented pretty much as designed. Haven't gotten to your suggestion yet mbj. :P Go easy on me, my decision to try doing two major systems at once in one build is already proving to be messy. :D It's still on the UI to do list though, and I tend to dislike myself enough where I regularly do things on that list. :)
Ferret

Postby mbj » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:28 am

Haha, no problem my dude. I just want to sink my teeth into some high intensity pvp action
mbj

Postby Ferret » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:35 pm

It's coming. :D With any luck, I hope to see the first non-debug mode created and loaded relic wraith sometime later today. :D
Ferret

Return to Possibly Upcoming, Someday