Combat Mechanics: Turn Delay

The tower awaits!

Combat Mechanics: Turn Delay

Postby Ferret » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:31 am

And here are the mechanics of turn delay effects. :)

1. A character can be hit by turn delay effects, causing them to lose a % of the energy required to be eligible to take a turn.
2. Multiple turn delay effects can affect a character on a single turn, with diminishing returns.
3. The first turn delay effect costs the character 33% of a turn. The second costs 25% of a turn, then 20%, and so on following the formula (1/n+2)% turn loss, where n equals which turn delay effec tis being discussed. (For the first turn delay, n=1, so the equation is 1/3, or 33%. For the second, n=2, so the equation is 1/4, or 25%, etc.)
4. Turn delay diminishing returns are reset when the character completes a turn.
5. First note: Many abilities that apply turn delays actually attempt to apply multiple turn delays in a single use. Mind Blank for example, attempts to apply four turn delays to the target. In practice, this means Mind Blank delays the next turn of the target by either: 0%, 33%, 58%, 78%, or 95% depending on how many of the turn delays hit.
6. Turn delay is affected by resistances, Cunning, and Vitality at the chance to hit level. Once a turn delay hits, the % of a turn lost follows the formula in #3.
7. Finally, turn delays are measured according to the creature's turns, not a normal turn. Losing 33% of a turn for a 150% Speed character represents less of a time delay than it does for a normal speed character.

Let me know if you have any questions. :D
Ferret

Re: Combat Mechanics: Turn Delay

Postby ashes » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:48 pm

This is good stuff to know.

Though it makes me feel sad about mind blank - trade 1 turn for a partial opponent turn? Though there's probably passives that make mind blank awesome.

Interesting stuff though, time to try a brain-knocker out maybe!
ashes

Postby Ferret » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Mind Blank is also awesome if there is one opponent who just needs to never get a turn. :P Or, if you outnumber the enemy. :D
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:39 pm

Well, I am not sure mind-delays are that useful without passives. I met a group with 4 demons who had Fetid Burst, they used the ability on my whole group every turn and all they accomplished by that was just losing their whole SP pool...
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:07 pm

Hmm.. I may need to increase the AI evaluation penalty for re-applying it to already staggered targets. :)
Ferret

Postby Gaswafers » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:26 pm

How does the opposite effect, turn acceleration, work?
Gaswafers

Postby Ferret » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:00 pm

Energy gain effects pretty much just work, even sometimes allowing a character multiple turns in a row... though usually you will find that most energy gain effects are not strong enough to grant even 1 full turn, with the exceptions of Inspire (which costs the user a turn) and Juggernaut (which is a special case of its own.)

You will sometimes see "Quick" float over a character's head when affected by an energy gain: this means it crossed the threshold necessary to gain a turn. It doesn't necessarily indicate how strong the effect was: if a character was 1 energy shy of acting, Quick would show for a +1 energy effect. Likewise, if a character was 999 energy shy of acting, you wouldn't see Quick for even a 998 energy effect.

A character who showed the Quick text may not necessarily be the next character to act if other characters also have enough energy to act, but it will get to act before any clock ticks pass. Disputes on who gets to act first are settled by how much over the threshold you are: more = act sooner. If there are ties even on that, it breaks in the player's favor.

Finally, most effects at the moment are either roughly 1/2 a turn or are a full turn. Juggernaut is the exception in that it varies based on how much damage you took, and can even go up to just enough for *2* turns... though it also caps your total at this amount. (Ogres were rather... unpleasant... without that cap.)
Ferret

Postby Gaswafers » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:05 am

That would explain why I had to put a four space gap in between myself and ogres while kiting them around and shooting lightning at them.
Gaswafers

Postby Ferret » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:25 am

Ferret

Postby ayayaya » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:14 am

Can Draw Wounds trigger Juggernaut? Can I attack my own demons to trigger Juggernaut?
ayayaya

Next

Return to General Discussion