Relic Wraiths (Player Ghosts)

Discussions about possible changes and new features that might happen someday.

Re: Relic Wraiths (Player Ghosts)

Postby Ferret » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:24 pm

One last note: The solution I decided on for "overleveled" demons in a ghost's party was to simply... de-level them. :P Demons in a Relic Wraith's party that exceed a certain small threshold above the ghost's actual level will be de-leveled down to that threshold. i.e. A Level 3 summoner would have any demons over Level 4 or 5 so leveled down to 4 or 5.

Note that the usual "distance from starting level" XP penalty demons receive only applies from their "in the wild" starting level. So if you recruit a Level 4 Raiju from a wraith, it still has a starting level of 16 for the purposes of that penalty, and thus will level at full speed until 16, before slowly beginning to slow down like any other Raiju would. Note also: the penalty does not work in reverse, so it doesn't level faster to try and catch up to 16.

Thanks to gaswafers for suggesting this (if for a different problem) in the overleveled allied demon thread. :D Might still do it for that too at some point, but not ready to pull the trigger on that yet. (I'm much more willing to do it on Relic Wraiths because I'd rather these err on the side of caution initially.)
Ferret

Postby mbj » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:14 am

The change log confused me a bit, so I'll ask here. According to the table you posted, corpse and lure wraiths choose which ghosts to spawn based on "floor" only, and is not dependent on character levels at all? While haunting chime will pull a ghost from any "floor" as long as that ghost is within 0-1 levels of the player (Since +30 level characters are practically non-existent right now)?

This means that if we all suicide on Tower:20, we will be able to see ALL of the Tower:20 ghosts regardless of the level difference?

Also, are all those spawns rates still valid, or did you change them around in the 12/11 build?

Also, I quickly scanned the in-game help and there's nothing about relic wraiths at all.
mbj

Postby wizzzargh » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:23 am

Speaking of suiciding on tower:20, if I do so before you fix the ghost bug, will my ghost be a miserable no-HP wretch? I want to leave a high-level ghost on tower:20 but if it will be obsoleted by the bug that would be disappointing.
wizzzargh

Postby Ferret » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:26 am

Correct: If you use a corpse or Enemy Lure to summon a ghost, only the floor you on is used. Any ghost with that floor as its "haunt" is possible for appearance, level is ignored. On the flip side, the ghost chime only considers level of the player: what floor ghosts are "haunting" is irrelevant. (The range is fairly tight, yes, at least for now. Much is definitely subject to change about Relic Wraiths in general being both a new and somewhat controversial feature.)

But yes, currently, if you are on Tower:20 and search a corpse, or use Enemy Lure, and either result comes up "summon a ghost", *any* ghost haunting Tower:20 is possible for appearance, regardless of your level or theirs.

The spawn rates are unchanged from the post I made before, with the exception that when choosing between a server ghost or a local ghost when both are available, the odds favor server ghosts 2 to 1 (I originally planned, and almost released, with 50/50, but I'm not sure if I actually said that anywhere or not.)

Finally, Relic Wraiths are covered in the manual as "enemy summoners": they are not mentioned specifically by name, but enemy summoners and Relic Wraiths effectively act the same for all combat purposes. Everything you can do that summons them in game warns you, in fairly dramatic terms, that there is significant risk to what you are doing. It's true the manual never mentions them, but given you are warned there are enemy summoners, I think it might be okay to have a subset of them that is unusual in ways that, from a perspective of interacting with them, don't really change much.

(I suppose I could include some information on how their stats and what not are selected, but I'm hesitant to go into that much detail about a fairly esoteric subject, at least in the manual. I might could add an "advanced/more details/spoilers" type section?)

Wiz: The bug that caused poor HP was client side. If you are running the 12/12 version, any Relic Wraiths spawned in your games will have the correct HP, regardless of whether the ghost in question was from 12/11 or 12/12.
Ferret

Postby mbj » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:49 am

No you don't have to add a spoiler section, I was mainly looking for info about how wraiths are spawned which you answered here. I also forgot that they're basically summoners too.
mbj

Previous

Return to Possibly Upcoming, Someday