Suggested New Player Builds for a sticky?

The tower awaits!

Suggested New Player Builds for a sticky?

Postby Ferret » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:11 am

It's come up often enough where I probably should make a sticky of good builds for new players. :)

I've posted my favorites a few times now, but does anyone else have any favorites of their own? Or, for that matter, does anyone think any of my usual ones are secretly terrible? :D

For review, here's the ones I usually recommend:

Eye of the Dragon/Fire/Mind: Strong close range AE potential, as well as a multi-target Panic effect. Remember to try and use Fire Breath before using other abilities, since the damage dealt is based on your SP. Also, the Gandayah's Tireless ability, which raises MaxSP, raises the damage potential of Fire Breath, and makes for a good pick up. :) Good starting pets would be Malingee, Echeneis, or Zombie. Recommended leveling pattern: +2 Ma, +1 Vit, +1 Agl, +1 Cun.

Hand of the Dead/Slash/Mind: Maul hits twice, and thus gets two chances per use to trigger Terrifying's +Panic effect. Yellow Whisper may seem redundant at first, but remember that it is a free action. It also has a much higher chance to stick. Thus, it can be useful when you want to try and Panic two targets in one turn (Whisper one, Maul the other), or when you absolutely need to Panic one target (Whisper + Maul.) Good starting pets would be Will o' Wisp, Echeneis, or Zombie. Recommended leveling pattern: +1 Str, +2 Vit, +1 Agl, +1 Cun.

Orb of Power/Mind/Electricity: A heavy nuker build that manages to avoid using Agility, leaving more points for other stats. The Mind attacks have low damage, but don't need clear lines of fire, and the AE version hits every enemy in range while ignoring allies. Storm Strike is a bit unreliable, but will be a good answer to the early Mind-resistant/immune enemies. When choosing new spells, try to stick to ones that "Cannot miss" so you can continue to avoid needing Agility. Good starting pets would be Red Cap, Will o' Wisp, Malingee, or Echeneis. Recommended leveling pattern: +3 Ma, +1 Vit, +1 Cun

Hand of the Dead/Dark/Heal: Use Wraith Touch constantly to steal maxHP from enemies, which will help Oppressor's defensive benefit to stay active. It may actually be useful to distribute damage among multiple targets to help that as well, since any enemy with less HP hurts you less due to Oppressor. Back off for a bit when Healing Factor triggers so it can fill you back up to safe HP levels. The key is keeping your MaxHP as high as possible: keeping a healer pet out to refill HP between fights for faster resting will help considerably. Good starting pets include: Faerie, Will o' Wisp, Zombie, Echeneis. Recommended leveling pattern: +2 Ma, +2 Vit, +1 Agl. (Can sub 1 Ma or 1 Vit for 1 Cun if you want to get into using status effects.)

Faithful Heart/Heal/Dark: Excellent healing, and you also have Hex, which both reduces physical damage dealt and increases physical damage taken. Try to save Mending for when Soothe no longer works, and with luck, it will restore the target's HP enough where Soothe is an option again. Will o Wisp, Malingee, Red Cap, and Zombie are all great starting allies here, they will benefit significantly from both parts of Hex's effect. New abilities you should look for are more healing and debuff effects, but your high Magic lets nuking work too so long as they're nukes that can't miss since your Agility is low. Recommended leveling pattern: +2 Ma, +1 Vi, +2 Cun.
Ferret

Re: Suggested New Player Builds for a sticky?

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:25 pm

I am playing a random combo which is Eye of the Dragon/Body/Slash and I think it is very powerful vs anything without resistance to body. It is fun when you deal damage and apply poison/infection/offense down instantly. Pounce is one of the best abilities for melee character IMHO.

Code: Select all
1) Venomous Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 50% chance to apply Poison, causing damage over time (can stack three times).)
2) Poison Breath (Type: Body, 35 SP. 0-85 Power attack, based on the user's SP (more SP = more Power). Has a 50% chance to inflict Poison, causing damage over time (can stack three times). Cannot miss. Cooldown: Breath (8))
3) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
4) Tormentor (Type: None, Passive. Restores 5 SP when you deal damage to one or more characters that have negative status effects.)
5) Blood Rot (Type: Body, Passive. When you apply Infection, Poison, or Paralysis, you have a 50% chance to reduce the target's offense by 20%.)
6) Leech Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt (affected by Body resistance).)
7) Pink Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to cause Charm, turning the target against its allies. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
8) Infectious (Type: Body, Passive. Provides a 35% chance for your Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks to apply Infection, which hinders HP and SP recovery.)

Numbing Bite (Type: Pierce, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 35% chance to inflict Paralysis, causing the target to frequently miss their turns.) can be very good here since it is supported by Blood Rot too.

Also not really a starting combo (probably we might have a thread about favorite/powerful demons also) but I like this demon a lot:

Code: Select all
Name : Fiery Echeneis
Level: 9
MaxHP: 65
MaxSP: 100

Strength: 10
Magic   : 33
Vitality: 22
Agility : 17
Cunning : 13

Resist: Fire Ice
Weak  : Electricity

Abilities Known:
1) Chilling Touch (Type: Ice, 5 SP. 70 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
2) Deep Chill (Type: Ice, Passive. Increases the duration of your Chill effects by 3 turns.)
3) Searing Touch (Type: Fire, 5 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration.)
4) Fiery Veil (Type: Fire, Reactive. Responds to damage dealt to you by adjacent characters with a 20 Power attack that has a 13% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration. Cannot miss.)
5) Fiery Claw (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 85 Power attack split between Slash and Fire. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration.)
6) Pink Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to cause Charm, turning the target against its allies. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
7) Tormentor (Type: None, Passive. Restores 5 SP when you deal damage to one or more characters that have negative status effects.)
8) Healing Charm (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 80 Power heal. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)

It resists both Fire and Ice and has both Fire and Ice attacks so it is a reliably safe answer to many demons. Healing Charm and Pink Whisper serve to make the demon more universal and Tormentor allows to get some mana back. I got it by using silver matrix on Huo Shu.
Sandman25

Postby Seth » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:00 am

Riposte Titan is very strong and straightforward. Just get Ghost Pierce/Spin Slash, all the evade passives, and a lot of ranged supports. It carried me to Turdak's Sanctum where my Mind weakness destroyed me. Not sure how well it handles lategame, but otherwise it's basically the Minotaur Berserker of Demon.

As a fun side note: if you have Juggernaut and you use a movement attack against something that does recoil damage (Veils, basically) you get an instant quicken off of the recoil, thus allowing you to attack like 5 times per turn. I'm not sure I'd actually recommend it on a movement tank though, just because there's an anti-synergy between juggernaut and evade passives.

Cunning support with Ember Burst is great. I got my only win with Mind/Fire Mask back when the Gaze didn't work correctly, so primary spells almost don't matter (not to say mind scream, exorcism, or needle shot aren't awesome, just that Ember Burst and good demon management can carry you through most of the game on it's own). Just get Greek Fire, give everything Warmth (and maybe Tormentor for attackers) and light everything on fire, heal with Draw Wounds, and switch demons freely due to being in the very back. You don't actually need anything but support abilities for the vast majority of the game, and in cases where you do want burst (capture requirements, especially for uniques) you have runes, as well as stones/gems for when you need a "true" heal. It's an extremely flexible style of play that I would recommend to anyone.

Recommended stats: All cunning/magic. Support spells don't care about AGI, neither do consumables, and later on you can pick up decent unmissable attacks (if you didn't start with one) anyway.
Recommended demons:
-Goblin/Will-o-Wisp to pick up the quintessential dodge tank skills
-Freybug for Tormentor
-Ukobach for Greek Fire/Warmth and to give your casters a reliable ranged attack
-snake things for Draw Wounds
-two backup healers to switch in during long fights
-a few ranged attackers to serve as your main source of damage, these will usually make up the most of your active team but they won't need to switch often so only a few is fine, can also be hybridized partially with the healers
-several tanks: these made up like half of my demons despite usually only using one at a time, both to have an optimal tank for type resistance and just for cycling through them while they absorb damage. It's good to have dodge tanks for melee-heavy foes and typical meat shields for projectile-heavy matchups and elements like Mind or Light that can't miss.
Seth

Postby Ferret » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Some good suggestions here so far. :) I suppose I could pester wizzzaaargh about posting here, but on the other hand, I could also be un-lazy and just assume he would recommend the builds he plays in that thread of his. :D

Though, Juggernaut + movement attack + Veils probably needs to be addressed. :) I admit I hadn't thought of that, but wizz and you have both mentioned it now, and it does sound a little broken.
Ferret

Return to General Discussion