Build Suggestions for a Newcomer?

The tower awaits!

Build Suggestions for a Newcomer?

Postby NickCage » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:31 am

I'm just getting started with this game, and I'm quite enjoying it. It's great.

However I'm a little overwhelmed at the range of possible combinations at the start of the game. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I just personally have a hard time choosing and then sticking with that particular combination.

Do you experienced folks have any build you would suggest to a newbie? How do you start it out? What would you look for in the dungeon to further shape it up?
NickCage

Re: Build Suggestions for a Newcomer?

Postby Ferret » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:43 am

Hey. :) Thanks for playing, and stopping by the forums. :D I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

Here's some builds I've recommended in the past with... I admit mixed success. :D Demon's a bit of an evil-tempered game, even in the early floors. I like these builds, but I can't promise they're really much easier. :D

Eye of the Dragon/Fire/Mind: Strong close range AE potential, as well as a multi-target Panic effect. Remember to try and use Fire Breath before using other abilities, since the damage dealt is based on your SP. Also, the Gandayah's Tireless ability, which raises MaxSP, raises the damage potential of Fire Breath, and makes for a good pick up. :) Good starting pets would be Malingee, Echeneis, or Zombie. Recommended leveling pattern: +2 Ma, +1 Vit, +1 Agl, +1 Cun.

Hand of the Dead/Slash/Mind: Maul hits twice, and thus gets two chances per use to trigger Terrifying's +Panic effect. Yellow Whisper may seem redundant at first, but remember that it is a free action. It also has a much higher chance to stick. Thus, it can be useful when you want to try and Panic two targets in one turn (Whisper one, Maul the other), or when you absolutely need to Panic one target (Whisper + Maul.) Good starting pets would be Will o' Wisp, Echeneis, or Zombie. Recommended leveling pattern: +1 Str, +2 Vit, +1 Agl, +1 Cun.

Orb of Power/Mind/Electricity: A heavy nuker build that manages to avoid using Agility, leaving more points for other stats. The Mind attacks have low damage, but don't need clear lines of fire, and the AE version hits every enemy in range while ignoring allies. Storm Strike is a bit unreliable, but will be a good answer to the early Mind-resistant/immune enemies. When choosing new spells, try to stick to ones that "Cannot miss" so you can continue to avoid needing Agility. Good starting pets would be Red Cap, Will o' Wisp, Malingee, or Echeneis. Recommended leveling pattern: +3 Ma, +1 Vit, +1 Cun

Hand of the Dead/Dark/Heal: Use Wraith Touch constantly to steal maxHP from enemies, which will help Oppressor's defensive benefit to stay active. It may actually be useful to distribute damage among multiple targets to help that as well, since any enemy with less HP hurts you less due to Oppressor. Back off for a bit when Healing Factor triggers so it can fill you back up to safe HP levels. The key is keeping your MaxHP as high as possible: keeping a healer pet out to refill HP between fights for faster resting will help considerably. Good starting pets include: Faerie, Will o' Wisp, Zombie, Echeneis. Recommended leveling pattern: +2 Ma, +2 Vit, +1 Agl. (Can sub 1 Ma or 1 Vit for 1 Cun if you want to get into using status effects.)

Faithful Heart/Heal/Dark: Excellent healing, and you also have Hex, which both reduces physical damage dealt and increases physical damage taken. Try to save Mending for when Soothe no longer works, and with luck, it will restore the target's HP enough where Soothe is an option again. Will o Wisp, Malingee, Red Cap, and Zombie are all great starting allies here, they will benefit significantly from both parts of Hex's effect. New abilities you should look for are more healing and debuff effects, but your high Magic lets nuking work too so long as they're nukes that can't miss since your Agility is low. Recommended leveling pattern: +2 Ma, +1 Vi, +2 Cun.
Ferret

Return to General Discussion