Display numbers?

The tower awaits!

Display numbers?

Postby Sandman25 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Is it possible to add some numbers to messages? It can be controlled with new option in "-" menu and be disabled by default probably.
I think it could be very useful for new players, currently there is no way in the game to see that being weak means +50 damage for magic and 33% for physical, that Goblin had 65% (the number is just an example, I didn't do the math) chance to be hit when attacked by Malingee (it takes Agility of both monsters into account as far as I know), how weak physical damage is when attacker has Str 9 and defender has Vitality 16 etc, how high is the chance to apply negative statuses etc.

Something like this.
Code: Select all
Malingee hits Goblin (13 damage, 65%).
Huo Shu hits Freybug (20 damage, 70%). Freybug is ignited (70%).
Goblin misses Echeneis (85%)
Sandman25

Re: Display numbers?

Postby Ferret » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:53 pm

It's possible. :) Pre-req will be better message log history control/review though... and it'll probably be after the content push. :D
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks a lot!
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:25 pm

The form this will probably take, unless I think of something better:

1) Add message log history view. (aforementioned pre-req)
2) Add an option (default off) that, when turned on, interjects numbers into the message log, but only in history view (normal message log still won't display them... trust me, it would get out of hand quick if it did. :P)
3) Ability to dump relatively recently message log history to a text file (separate from character/party dump, because I don't want to bloat those)
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:28 pm

It's up to you of course ;)
I don't remember if I told you before but my mod for DCSS was doing something like that and surprisingly those numbers made it easier to read messages for me. It was more fun to read "Large rock hits titan (123 damage)" than boring "Large rock hits titan!!!".
I don't remember if your options menu supports multiple values, having something like Display Numbers: "No (default)", "Message history only" and "Message history and log" would be the best if it's not too much work for you.
I would hate to check message history every time I wanted to know damage like I currently hate to use explore ("x") before and after my attack and then manually calculate difference.
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:24 pm

I could do it with 3 options, I just don't know if the in game log one will be used by anyone else. :D The log would have to pause every action probably, once this stuff was in.

BTW: The 12/14 build isn't going to be the 12/14 build. :P Fixing luring apparently IS going to require proper group AI. :P
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Yes, I am unique, sorry about it :)
I guess I didn't tell you that I use a setting in DCSS which makes me press Enter every time a new monster comes into view or reenters it after 10 turns delay...
Seriously speaking as far as I remember Demon does not use the whole length of rows in message log and message about every monster starts with new line so it will be the same number of rows:
Your goblin hits Malingee (15 damage, 80%)
Malingee hits your goblin (20 damage, 65%)

instead of
Your goblin hits Malingee
Malingee hits your goblin

Sorry, it looks like there would be more content if not me :(
Sandman25

Postby Sandman25 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:41 pm

Anyway, it's your decision. Having the numbers in message history only will make me happy too :)
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:43 pm

Eh, not your fault for reporting it. :P Good rule of thumb is if one person reports it, ten people didn't bother. :P It needs fixing, and unfortunately, it's messing things up enough where it is one of the few things I have to let jump in line. :D
Ferret

Return to General Discussion