YASD: Eye of the Dragon/Fire/Mind

The tower awaits!

Re: CiP: Eye of the Dragon/Fire/Mind

Postby Ferret » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:11 pm

The HP thresholds are adjusted based on Magic stat and Dark resistance. (And, I forget this last time, but also OFF buffs and DEF debuffs!)

Your second theory is the correct one: if you have enough weight on the scales from high Magic and/or the target being weak to Dark, you can see Snuff Out start to work even at higher MaxHP% than the listed ones. This is particularly true for targets weak to Dark.
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Got Angel in free slot, its Protect buff is really great especially with my Oppressor and Juggernaut, also it is resistant to Fire/Electro and immune to Light which is quite nice (a pack of monsters with ranged electro attacks was not easy, I had to retreat several times behind a corner to heal everyone).
Replaced Chindi with Ukibach (had to use Peace Offering to remove distrust status after running into another pack of monsters during chase), not sure if it was a mistake but I want to see how much Warmth helps (description is not clear enough IMHO). Oppressor replaced Terrifying Cry which was not that great anyway.
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:05 pm

Warmth is one of those ugly cases where the math is a bit too complicated to explain in a tooltip... this probably means the math should change, but I haven't thought of a simpler way to get the correct result out of it yet. :) It will probably be easiest to figure out by watching SP regeneration: that is a constant of 5 SP for most characters.
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:52 pm

I tried watching and it is about 5 SP indeed, thanks!

I was lucky to kill Turdak first time I entered its portal :) It was easy though I played like I hate to play DCSS - manual exploration, retreating and splitting packs every time. It had a group of archery and I split them into 3 parts, Turdak was alone after that.
I got Warmth on some demons since I have multiple sources on different demons like my Flame Dart (replaced Fire Breath), Ogre's Fiery Veil and Kasha's Fiery Claw. I really like Yellow Whisper, it helps a lot.

I found a silver matrix in the portal and I am ready to disband Ukobach but every demon who would benefit from rF+ is not a caster or has no abilities to remove like Jiang Shi or Ogre. What would you do?

Edit. Oops, I forgot that I can link Turdak :(

Code: Select all
Demon Party Dump File
Version 12/3/2015, Scoring Model: 8/22/2015
Dump file created at: 12/13/2015 1:48:56 PM

Summoner SandmanXXV...
was chosen by the Eye of the Dragon,
selected Fire and Mind as their starting elements,
is currently at Tower:8,
and is still alive!

--==== Main Character ===--

Name : SandmanXXV
Level: 9
MaxHP: 72
MaxSP: 100

Strength: 9
Magic   : 39
Vitality: 19
Agility : 15
Cunning : 18

Resist: Fire
Weak  : Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Heat Wave (Type: Slash, 20 SP. 85 Power attack split between Slash and Fire. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the targets, causing damage over a short duration.)
2) Flame Dart (Type: Fire, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration.)
3) Greek Fire (Type: Fire, Passive. Increases the duration of your Ignite effects by 3 turns.)
4) Chilling Touch (Type: Ice, 5 SP. 70 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
5) Auraward (Type: Defense, Passive. If your last action was a Fire, Electricity, or Ice ability, you gain Resist against all three of these types.)
6) Block Physical (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 20% chance to block Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks.)
7) Warmth (Type: Fire, Passive. Increases HP and SP regeneration based on the number of Ignited characters you can see (more characters = larger bonus, with diminishing returns.))
8) Dash (Type: None, 20 SP. Move to the target position instantly. Cooldown: Charge (8))

Inventory:
1 Flame rune
1 Gold offering
6 Chakra stone
2 Trouble chime
1 Night rune
2 Pure stone
1 Meteor rune
2 Heal stone
1 Blizzard rune
1 Silver matrix

--==== Current Party ===--

Name : Lifegiver Huo shu
Level: 7
MaxHP: 61
MaxSP: 125

Strength: 12
Magic   : 23
Vitality: 25
Agility : 11
Cunning : 14

Abilities Known:
1) Fiery Claw (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 85 Power attack split between Slash and Fire. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration.)
2) Low Profile (Type: Defense, Passive. Always dodge projectiles fired by allies unless directly targeted.)
3) Firestarter (Type: Fire, Passive. Increases your chance to apply Ignite by 50% of the original chance.)
4) Cleanse (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Poison, Infection, and Paralysis.)
5) Mending (Type: Healing, 25 SP. Cannot be used on Mended targets. 150 Power heal. Applies Mended.)
6) Chilling Touch (Type: Ice, 5 SP. 70 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
7) Healing Charm (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 80 Power heal. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
8) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)

Name : Vile Preta
Level: 8
MaxHP: 64

Magic   : 19
Vitality: 10
Agility : 18
Cunning : 31

Immune: Body
Weak  : Fire Ice Light Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Ghost Bite (Type: Pierce, 15 SP. 70 Power attack.)
2) Fade (Type: Buff, 10 SP. Briefly improves evasion by 25%. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (5))
3) Infectious (Type: Body, Passive. Provides a 35% chance for your Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks to apply Infection, which hinders HP and SP recovery.)
4) Corrupt (Type: Body, 15 SP. 70% chance to inflict Infection, which hinders HP and SP recovery.)
5) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
6) Healing Charm (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 80 Power heal. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
7) Blood Rot (Type: Body, Passive. When you apply Infection, Poison, or Paralysis, you have a 50% chance to reduce the target's offense by 20%.)
8) Dazzling Gaze (Type: Mind, 10 SP. 65% chance to inflict Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Presence (6))

Name : Jiang shi
MaxHP: 54

Strength: 21
Magic   : 8
Vitality: 21
Agility : 22
Cunning : 13

Immune: Body
Resist: Ice Dark
Weak  : Fire Electricity Light

Abilities Known:
1) Leech Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt (affected by Body resistance).)
2) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
3) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
4) Bloodthirst (Type: Body, Passive. Heals you for 25% of the damage you deal with Slash, Impact, or Pierce abilities (affected by Body resistance).)
5) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
6) Daring Cut (Type: Slash, 20 SP. 70 Power attack. Briefly increases your or a nearby ally's offense by 25%.)
7) Oppressor (Type: Dark, Passive. Increases defense by 25% against enemies with lower HP. (Bonus is affected by Dark resistance.))
8) Juggernaut (Type: Defense, Passive. When your last action was movement or a movement ability, you have 25% improved defense and your next turn comes faster when damaged.)

Name : Psychic Ilomba
MaxHP: 52

Strength: 11
Magic   : 15
Vitality: 14
Agility : 19
Cunning : 26

Resist: Mind
Weak  : Light

Abilities Known:
1) Leech Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt (affected by Body resistance).)
2) Draw Wounds (Type: Healing, 0 SP. 105 Power heal. Costs HP equal to the amount healed. Healing and HP cost are limited to what will not kill the user and what the target needs to reach maximum. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (1))
3) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
4) Dazzling Gaze (Type: Mind, 10 SP. 65% chance to inflict Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Presence (6))
5) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
6) Mind Blast (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 40 Power attack. Has a 35% chance to inflict Stun, causing the targets to miss their next turn. Cannot miss.)
7) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
8) Snuff Out (Type: Dark, 25 SP. Attempts to instantly kill the target (lower HP = higher chance, 0% chance until 30% of maximum HP, 100% chance at 20%). Cooldown: Dark (3))

Name : Ogre
MaxHP: 63

Strength: 29
Magic   : 10
Vitality: 29
Agility : 12
Cunning : 10

Resist: Body
Weak  : Fire Electricity Mind

Abilities Known:
1) Heavy Slash (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 85 Power attack.)
2) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
3) Juggernaut (Type: Defense, Passive. When your last action was movement or a movement ability, you have 25% improved defense and your next turn comes faster when damaged.)
4) Oppressor (Type: Dark, Passive. Increases defense by 25% against enemies with lower HP. (Bonus is affected by Dark resistance.))
5) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
6) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
7) Fade (Type: Buff, 10 SP. Briefly improves evasion by 25%. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (5))
8) Fiery Veil (Type: Fire, Reactive. Responds to damage dealt to you by adjacent characters with a 20 Power attack that has a 13% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration. Cannot miss.)

Name : Kasha
MaxHP: 49

Vitality: 15
Agility : 22
Cunning : 21

Resist: Fire Light Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Fiery Claw (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 85 Power attack split between Slash and Fire. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration.)
2) Fiery Veil (Type: Fire, Reactive. Responds to damage dealt to you by adjacent characters with a 20 Power attack that has a 13% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration. Cannot miss.)
3) Weigh Sin (Type: Light, 15 SP. 70% chance to inflict Guilt, healing those who damage the target (excluding reactions).)
4) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
5) Protect (Type: Buff, 25 SP. Improves defense by 25%.)
6) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
7) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
8) Warmth (Type: Fire, Passive. Increases HP and SP regeneration based on the number of Ignited characters you can see (more characters = larger bonus, with diminishing returns.))

Name : Angel
MaxHP: 53

Magic   : 31
Vitality: 20
Agility : 20
Cunning : 7

Immune: Light
Resist: Fire Electricity
Weak  : Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Punish (Type: Light, 15 SP. Must target a character whose last action was a damaging ability. 55 Power attack. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Light (3))
2) Mending (Type: Healing, 25 SP. Cannot be used on Mended targets. 150 Power heal. Applies Mended.)
3) Protect (Type: Buff, 25 SP. Improves defense by 25%.)
4) Refresh (Type: Healing, 5 SP. Transfers up to 20 SP from the user to the target.)
5) Warmth (Type: Fire, Passive. Increases HP and SP regeneration based on the number of Ignited characters you can see (more characters = larger bonus, with diminishing returns.))
6) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
7) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
8) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))

Name : Ukobach
Level: 5
MaxHP: 45

Strength: 8
Magic   : 23
Vitality: 8
Agility : 18
Cunning : 18

Weak  : Ice Light

Abilities Known:
1) Searing Touch (Type: Fire, 5 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration.)
2) Flame Dart (Type: Fire, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration.)
3) Greek Fire (Type: Fire, Passive. Increases the duration of your Ignite effects by 3 turns.)
4) Warmth (Type: Fire, Passive. Increases HP and SP regeneration based on the number of Ignited characters you can see (more characters = larger bonus, with diminishing returns.))
5) ------------
6) ------------
7) ------------
8) ------------

--==== Recently Slain Allies ===--

Name : Gandayah
Level: 2
MaxHP: 39

Strength: 9
Vitality: 20
Agility : 8
Cunning : 8

Resist: Electricity
Weak  : Fire

Abilities Known:
1) Cleanse (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Poison, Infection, and Paralysis.)
2) Refresh (Type: Healing, 5 SP. Transfers up to 20 SP from the user to the target.)
3) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
4) ------------
5) ------------
6) ------------

Name : Zar
Level: 4
MaxHP: 41

Strength: 11
Magic   : 14
Vitality: 11
Agility : 17
Cunning : 17

Resist: Mind Dark
Weak  : Light

Abilities Known:
1) Feral Claw (Type: Slash, 5 SP. 70 Power attack.)
2) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
3) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
4) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
5) ------------
6) ------------
7) ------------
8) ------------

Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:39 pm

mutter. That luring away problem sounds pretty serious. :P It's definitely not supposed to be a reliable tactic. :( I'll see if I can figure out what's allowing it, I just hope the answer isn't "I need to finish implementing group AI" because that'll be a big lift I don't wanna do during a content push. :P

Yeah, using a modifier to give Resist Fire to a non-caster is probably going to go badly. It will shift their stats heavily towards magic use, likely making their current ability set not so great. Resistances are a nice bonus from modifiers, but I wouldn't use them primarily for that if there's going to be a stat conflict.

And yeah, you could have linked Turdak. :P
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Now that you've gotten the skills you want from Ukobach you can probably just get rid of it in favor of some new cool demon, and save your silver matrix for later.

I'm also surprised luring is working so well for you, but I suppose I've never actually tried to do it much.
wizzzargh

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Yes, I decided to keep silver matrix for now too.

I think luring works so good because of Dash, with Juggernaut it was even safer - my speed increased after getting wounded. So enemies spend turns on attacking my demons without seeing me, then I retreat around a corner, disband everyone and summon new fresh demons. Only a few enemy demons come into view after that.
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:52 pm

Ah! Dash! That was the missing piece. :D

So... enemies... look for enemies they can see, remember where they recently lost sight of enemies, and look for allies who can see enemies... but they don't look for allies who recently lost sight of enemies. So that would mean if you got something's attention, then got out of sight of it, it would still chase you, but it's allies would not be interested.

Now that I know the problem, I can fix it in the next build. :D
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:56 pm

And yeah, it's really not supposed to be necessary (or successful) to lure individuals: Demon's designed to where groups of enemies are supposed to be single units encountered together. This would be like luring 1/4th of an ogre around a corner in DCSS, somehow. :P Then too, one of the things I most loathe about DCSS is when they make the tedious play option the optimal one. I might actually push out a fix for this one before finishing the content build, I don't like having it out there now that it's exposed. :P
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:13 pm

Well, I am not sure the fix is a good idea as long as it's possible to get double and even triple encounters which would be a 100% death sentence with the fix. I thought about it before and the only way to fix it which I see is something like Ziggurats in DCSS where you cannot get into another fight before you kill everyone in current fight. But probably it would change Demon too much...
Sandman25

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion