YASD: Eye of the Dragon/Fire/Mind

The tower awaits!

Re: CiP: Eye of the Dragon/Fire/Mind

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:03 pm

I will keep posting what demons I hired and disbanded, please let me know if you see any mistakes.

Replaced Faerie with Ogre, Oppressor and Jugernaut seem very useful for front line demons. I don't need Faerie because it traded Healing Charm to both Preta and Huo Shu.
Sandman25

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Replaced Headless with Kasha. I need Light resistant demons and Headless looked unneeded with Jiang Shi and Corrupt-Blood Rot combo on Preta. Used trouble chime to complete Kasha's quest, got 2 Raichos and 2 Saint Easgs. Aurawand was very useful in the fight, got stunned just once.
Sandman25

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Sacrificed Zar to silver matrix (before that Ogre learned Pounce, Jiang Shi learned Yellow Whisper, Ilomba learned Calm) and got Psychic Ilomba, hopefully Cunning 22 will allow Dazzling Gaze to be more useful. Got Tireless and Mind Blast as random abilities (the latter does not have cooldown so I guess it can be spammed unlike Dazzling Gaze).
Sandman25

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Current party, comments are welcome.

Code: Select all
Demon Party Dump File
Version 12/3/2015, Scoring Model: 8/22/2015
Dump file created at: 12/13/2015 10:22:18 AM

Summoner SandmanXXV...
was chosen by the Eye of the Dragon,
selected Fire and Mind as their starting elements,
is currently at Tower:6,
and is still alive!

--==== Main Character ===--

Name : SandmanXXV
Level: 6
MaxHP: 61
MaxSP: 100

Strength: 9
Magic   : 33
Vitality: 16
Agility : 12
Cunning : 15

Resist: Fire
Weak  : Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Heat Wave (Type: Slash, 20 SP. 85 Power attack split between Slash and Fire. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the targets, causing damage over a short duration.)
2) Fire Breath (Type: Fire, 30 SP. 0-85 Power attack, based on the user's SP (more SP = more Power). Has a 33% chance to Ignite the targets, causing damage over a short duration. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Breath (8))
3) Terrifying Cry (Type: Mind, 35 SP. 50% chance to inflict Panic on enemies, causing their actions to sometimes be randomized. Cooldown: Presence (12))
4) Chilling Touch (Type: Ice, 5 SP. 70 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
5) Auraward (Type: Defense, Passive. If your last action was a Fire, Electricity, or Ice ability, you gain Resist against all three of these types.)
6) Tormentor (Type: None, Passive. Restores 5 SP when you deal damage to one or more characters that have negative status effects.)
7) Firestarter (Type: Fire, Passive. Increases your chance to apply Ignite by 50% of the original chance.)
8) Dash (Type: None, 20 SP. Move to the target position instantly. Cooldown: Charge (8))

Inventory:
1 Flame rune
1 Gold offering
6 Chakra stone
1 Peace offering
2 Trouble chime
1 Chakra gem
1 Night rune
1 Pure stone
1 Meteor rune

--==== Current Party ===--

Name : Lifegiver Huo shu
Level: 5
MaxHP: 54

Strength: 11
Magic   : 21
Vitality: 22
Agility : 9
Cunning : 12

Resist: Fire

Abilities Known:
1) Fiery Claw (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 85 Power attack split between Slash and Fire. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration.)
2) Low Profile (Type: Defense, Passive. Always dodge projectiles fired by allies unless directly targeted.)
3) Firestarter (Type: Fire, Passive. Increases your chance to apply Ignite by 50% of the original chance.)
4) Cleanse (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Poison, Infection, and Paralysis.)
5) Mending (Type: Healing, 25 SP. Cannot be used on Mended targets. 150 Power heal. Applies Mended.)
6) Chilling Touch (Type: Ice, 5 SP. 70 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
7) Healing Charm (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 80 Power heal. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
8) ------------

Name : Vile Preta
Level: 6
MaxHP: 57
MaxSP: 125

Magic   : 16
Vitality: 9
Agility : 16
Cunning : 28

Immune: Body
Weak  : Fire Ice Light Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Ghost Bite (Type: Pierce, 15 SP. 70 Power attack.)
2) Fade (Type: Buff, 10 SP. Briefly improves evasion by 25%. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (5))
3) Infectious (Type: Body, Passive. Provides a 35% chance for your Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks to apply Infection, which hinders HP and SP recovery.)
4) Corrupt (Type: Body, 15 SP. 70% chance to inflict Infection, which hinders HP and SP recovery.)
5) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
6) Healing Charm (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 80 Power heal. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
7) Blood Rot (Type: Body, Passive. When you apply Infection, Poison, or Paralysis, you have a 50% chance to reduce the target's offense by 20%.)
8) Dazzling Gaze (Type: Mind, 10 SP. 65% chance to inflict Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Presence (6))

Name : Chindi
MaxHP: 44

Strength: 6
Magic   : 20
Vitality: 15
Agility : 15
Cunning : 19

Resist: Slash Pierce Ice Dark
Weak  : Impact Electricity Light

Abilities Known:
1) Vile Touch (Type: Body, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 50% chance to apply Infection, which hinders HP and SP recovery.)
2) Haunt (Type: Dark, 30 SP. Must target an enemy. Warps you adjacent to the enemy, and has two 70% chances to delay the enemy's next turn. Cooldown: Dark (6))
3) Blood Rot (Type: Body, Passive. When you apply Infection, Poison, or Paralysis, you have a 50% chance to reduce the target's offense by 20%.)
4) Snuff Out (Type: Dark, 25 SP. Attempts to instantly kill the target (lower HP = higher chance, 0% chance until 30% of maximum HP, 100% chance at 20%). Cooldown: Dark (3))
5) Healing Charm (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 80 Power heal. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
6) Weigh Sin (Type: Light, 15 SP. 70% chance to inflict Guilt, healing those who damage the target (excluding reactions).)
7) ------------
8) ------------

Name : Jiang shi
Level: 4
MaxHP: 45

Strength: 17
Magic   : 7
Vitality: 17
Agility : 18
Cunning : 11

Resist: Ice Dark
Weak  : Fire Electricity Light

Abilities Known:
1) Leech Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt (affected by Body resistance).)
2) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
3) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
4) Bloodthirst (Type: Body, Passive. Heals you for 25% of the damage you deal with Slash, Impact, or Pierce abilities (affected by Body resistance).)
5) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
6) Daring Cut (Type: Slash, 20 SP. 70 Power attack. Briefly increases your or a nearby ally's offense by 25%.)
7) Oppressor (Type: Dark, Passive. Increases defense by 25% against enemies with lower HP. (Bonus is affected by Dark resistance.))
8) ------------

Name : Psychic Ilomba
MaxHP: 42

Magic   : 12
Vitality: 11
Agility : 16
Cunning : 22

Resist: Mind
Weak  : Light

Abilities Known:
1) Leech Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt (affected by Body resistance).)
2) Draw Wounds (Type: Healing, 0 SP. 105 Power heal. Costs HP equal to the amount healed. Healing and HP cost are limited to what will not kill the user and what the target needs to reach maximum. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (1))
3) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
4) Dazzling Gaze (Type: Mind, 10 SP. 65% chance to inflict Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Presence (6))
5) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
6) Mind Blast (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 40 Power attack. Has a 35% chance to inflict Stun, causing the targets to miss their next turn. Cannot miss.)
7) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
8) Snuff Out (Type: Dark, 25 SP. Attempts to instantly kill the target (lower HP = higher chance, 0% chance until 30% of maximum HP, 100% chance at 20%). Cooldown: Dark (3))

Name : Ogre
MaxHP: 52

Strength: 24
Magic   : 9
Vitality: 23
Agility : 10
Cunning : 9

Resist: Body
Weak  : Fire Electricity Mind

Abilities Known:
1) Heavy Slash (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 85 Power attack.)
2) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
3) Juggernaut (Type: Defense, Passive. When your last action was movement or a movement ability, you have 25% improved defense and your next turn comes faster when damaged.)
4) Oppressor (Type: Dark, Passive. Increases defense by 25% against enemies with lower HP. (Bonus is affected by Dark resistance.))
5) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
6) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
7) Fade (Type: Buff, 10 SP. Briefly improves evasion by 25%. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (5))

Name : Kasha
MaxHP: 40

Strength: 10
Magic   : 13
Vitality: 12
Agility : 18
Cunning : 17

Resist: Fire Light Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Fiery Claw (Type: Slash, 10 SP. 85 Power attack split between Slash and Fire. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration.)
2) Fiery Veil (Type: Fire, Reactive. Responds to damage dealt to you by adjacent characters with a 20 Power attack that has a 13% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration. Cannot miss.)
3) Weigh Sin (Type: Light, 15 SP. 70% chance to inflict Guilt, healing those who damage the target (excluding reactions).)
4) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
5) ------------
6) ------------
7) ------------

--==== Recently Slain Allies ===--

Name : Gandayah
Level: 2
MaxHP: 39

Magic   : 15
Vitality: 20
Agility : 8
Cunning : 8

Resist: Electricity
Weak  : Fire

Abilities Known:
1) Cleanse (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Poison, Infection, and Paralysis.)
2) Refresh (Type: Healing, 5 SP. Transfers up to 20 SP from the user to the target.)
3) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
4) ------------
5) ------------
6) ------------

Name : Zar
MaxHP: 41

Magic   : 14
Vitality: 11
Agility : 17
Cunning : 17

Resist: Mind Dark
Weak  : Light

Abilities Known:
1) Feral Claw (Type: Slash, 5 SP. 70 Power attack.)
2) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
3) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
4) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
5) ------------
6) ------------
7) ------------
8) ------------

Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:31 pm

Dark weakness is a bit more rarely checked it's true... but, some of the stuff that checks it is pretty awful (instant death attacks, MaxHP drains.)

As for Body, besides the debuffs sticking more easily, the other problem with being weak to it is when fighting life-drainers, they will be able to drain much more effectively from you, which can make killing them more difficult in addition to the increased damage. But, Body is somewhat less of a damage element, so it's true that you're unlikely to be in the sort of lethal danger Fire, Ice, etc. put you in when you encounter them while weak against them.

Yeah, Mind Blast is spammable. :) It does have a much lower Stun chance, but also better range and it also does damage. :) It's probably one of the best Mind abilities currently in the game, frankly. I would make sure you don't lose access to it. :D

No issues with your exchanges so far, it seems like you've been doing a good job of getting the necessary abilities off of guys before letting them go. :D
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:35 pm

Also I think weakness to Body can cause problems vs monsters with poisonous attacks, these start to appear often, not sure if they are typical for later floors.
I guess I did another mistake then, I gave Dazzling Gaze instead of Mind Blast to Preta because I don't trust abilities with low success chance especially when they cost 20 SP.
Sandman25

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:38 pm

Speaking about instant death attacks. Does Snuff Out care about cunning, weakness/resistance to dark? Or can I put it on melee tanks to let them finish off those who retreat?
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Snuff Out cares about: user's Magic stat, target's Dark resistance, target's current HP. That said, given that once a target's HP get fairly low it basically can't miss no matter what on a target that doesn't resist Dark, it can be semi-useful on almost any demon.

Dazzling Gaze may not have been a mistake though. :) Dazzling Gaze is much less behavior-changing than Mind Blast: demons will use it when available, then do what they were doing before. With Mind Blast, it tends to become all they do. Also, Mind Blast's damage dealing element isn't terribly powerful, more so on a demon like Preta which isn't high on Magic either. For a Preta, Dazzling Gaze may have actually been the better call. :D Mind Blast is still one of the best Mind abilities, but it isn't necessarily outright better in every situation than Dazzling Gaze, and the Preta (who already has a good spammy attack in Ghost Bite, but has poor Magic for Mind Blast's damage) is an example.

(Still haven't read through your latest party dump, btw. :D Was about to do that when I saw these to reply to. :P )

Edit: Oh right, your Preta is a Vile Preta, so it does have good Magic... but, it also has Corrupt to spam. :) If you'd given it Mind Blast, it may have found that more interesting to spam than Corrupt... which may or may not be what you'd have wanted. :D
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Oh, I missed Mind Blast + Corrupt synergy...

Sorry, I am not yet clear about Snuff Out. Is it always 20-30% of max HP no matter what? And Magic can change 50% success for 25% max XP to somewhat higher value but still 0% success at 30%? Or can it make something like 1% success at 40% max HP and 50% at 30% max HP?

Edit. I have just learned Block Physical from a hero (replaced Tormentor) and Juggernaut from Ogre (replaced Firestarter). I am considering to remove Terrifying Cry, I have several sources of panic/stun now... Found Ukibashi, probably Warmth will be more useful than Terrifying Cry. It's hard to specialize on Fire attacks when there are so many useful abilities and so few ability slots...
Thanks for the Dash hint, it saved my life again (double encounters are not fun, they make me want to lure monsters back into explored territory).
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Party dump commentary:

Main character:
Looks like a good build so far. :) Just as a reminder (and I wish I could make this more clear in game): Heat Wave, though it does do Fire damage, is a Slash ability. It won't trigger Auraward! Fire Breath and Chilling Touch do though. :)

Lifegiver Huo Shu:
Good magic mouse. :) If you could throw him Tireless, that'd be great, but otherwise, he's in good shape.

Vile Preta:
One solid ranged nuke would be great here. Also a good candidate for Snuff Out. Depending on your preference, I might even consider letting it lose Ghost Bite and Infectious and just going full magic.

Chindi:
Are you looking to go more ranged or more "warp in melee" with this guy? He seems to be starting to lean ranged, with the addition of Healing Charm and Weigh Sin. If that's so, he'd love a ranged nuke... and maybe should find an opportunity to lose Haunt. :D

Jiang Shi:
Oppressor is an *excellent* choice for a Jiang Shi. :D Notably, it will become much better if you can find a Silver Matrix to power him up with: regardless of the modifier, his MaxHP will increase, making it easier to keep Oppressor in play. Flesheater would also help during longer battles, as would Gluttony if you can get access to these. Daring Cut is excellent too: he'll throw it early when his HP are still high, and likely buff himself, increasing his ability to drain later. Yellow Whisper was also a good add here: his Cunning's a little iffy, but Yellow Whisper's a free action anyway, so there isn't much to lose. :D If you can avoid getting him killed, this guy should be able to do good work. :D

Psychic Ilomba:
A solid support demon. :D Feel free to ditch Leech Bite, I'd be shocked if this guy bothers advancing much. Draw Wounds may be worth keeping even without it though: since he'll likely hang back, his HP should stay high and leave him some to pass around to others.

Ogre:
Semi-invisible Ogre (Fade) is a scary concept. :D Pounce + Juggernaut is particularly nice: if you leap in and Stun the target, but his allies hit you and trigger Juggernaut's speed up effect, you might see your Ogre hit the Stunned target 2 or even 3 times before it snaps out of it. That can be pretty nasty. :D

Kasha:
Fiery Veil could be useful on your Ogre potentially. Their Magic and Cunning are a little iffy, but given how much he'll probably be getting hit with Pounce helping him lead assaults, it probably will still be worth it. :) Veils tend to be hard to find proper homes for anyway: if a character has high Magic and Cunning, they usually have poor Vit and you don't want them getting hit. If they have high Vit, they usually have poor Magic and Cunning, so the Veil doesn't work as well. :D The secret is that really Veils are great in either case: on a glass cannon mage, they can help quickly finish off anyone who manages to get close; on a high durability tank, the tank lasts long enough to squeeze out good results even with poor stats :D
Ferret

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion