How is MaxHP calculated? (also a question about minions)

The tower awaits!

How is MaxHP calculated? (also a question about minions)

Postby Geoffreylikespie » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:34 pm

If you're willing to go in depth with it I'm curious as to the process done to calculate MaxHP. The in-game guide says each character gains it at a different rate, and I read this thread from 2016: http://forum.ferretdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82

So I understand how modifiers, weaknesses, resistances, and immunities play into it from this text…

Gaining a modifier is a +12.5% bonus to HP.

Gaining a weakness is a +4% bonus to HP.

Gaining a magical resistance is a -2% penalty to HP.

Gaining a physical resistance is a -3% penalty to HP.

Gaining a magical immunity is a -3% penalty to HP.

Finally, gaining a physical immunity is a -5% penalty to HP.

… And I know that speed, being unique, and vitality also play a part somewhere, but I can't figure out how it all comes together. If you'd prefer to keep this formula under the hood that's of course okay! I just wanted to ask in case you were willing to share :)

I don't want to flood the forum with question posts, so I have another question that's completely unrelated:
What is mechanically different about minions? I know you can't recruit them, but you can't recruit glitches either. What makes a minion different from a glitch?

Thank you for making and continuing to update this amazing game! :D
Everybody gangsta til Mordecai pulls out the massacre
Geoffreylikespie

Re: How is MaxHP calculated? (also a question about minions)

Postby Ferret » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:35 pm

The math has changed a bit from 2016. :D

Modifier: +12.5% (some Modifiers give more/less)
Unique: +12.5% (some Uniques get more/less: note all Players, Heroes, Summoners, and Relic Wraiths are Unique.)
Physical Immunity: -6% each (Note: Not currently possible.)
Physical Resistance: -4% each
Physical Weakness: +3% each
Magical Immunity: -5% each
Magical Resistance: -3% each
Magical Weakness: +2% each
No Weaknesses: -10% (An extra penalty for any character that is Weak to nothing.)
High Speed: -1% HP for +2% Speed over 100% (i.e.: 150% Speed is -25% HP)
Low Speed: +1% HP for -2% Speed under 100% (i.e.: 80% Speed is +10% HP)

Vitality basically determines the % of base HP you get. If your Vitality = 9 + Level, you will have the baseline HP for a character your level. As you approach 0 Vitality, you drop to 75% of that baseline. For each multiple of 9 + Level you get another +25% of the baseline amount (with partial progress counting too, of course, so Vitality = (9 + Level) * 15 would give you 112.5% of baseline HP.

The main difference between a Minion and a Glitch is their "rank". There are three ranks available to Demon characters: Minion, Normal, and Hero. Relative to normal, Heroes get massive bonuses across the board to combat performance, such that it is expected 1 Hero is a match for 4 Normal characters. (This is why Heroes stand against you alone in most encounters.) Minions are the opposite: their combat performance is severely degraded, such that it should take 4 Minions to match 1 Normal character. This is why Minions are usually part of very large or long lasting encounters: individually, they aren't able to put up a fight.

The main difference both Hero and Minion rank exist is so I can give encounter variety: without those ranks, all encounters would need to be roughly 4 v 4. It's true that MOST encounters are still that way, but that's fine. :) I just wanted to be able to sprinkle in some occasional difference.

Technically, not being capturable has nothing to do with being a Minion. I could make Minions capturable in about 10 minutes. :D The only thing that determines whether something can be captured or no is whether or not it has a capture condition defined. No capture condition, no capture (not even by Offerings.) Neither Minions nor Glitch have capture conditions defined, so that's why they can't be captured. Same goes for Players, Relic Wraiths, Enemy Summoners, and Heroes.

You're welcome, btw. :D I'm glad you're continuing to enjoy Demon. :D I wouldn't worry about spamming the forum though... sadly, it doesn't get much use these days. :P I mostly keep it going for the history it has on it, and for the rare player (like you, apparently :D ) who prefers it for feedback / discussion, even if there aren't many who do. :)
Ferret

Postby Geoffreylikespie » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:52 am

Thank you for such thorough answers!

Do brands impact this? Like if I use a brand to remove a weakness from myself, will my HP drop as a result?
Everybody gangsta til Mordecai pulls out the massacre
Geoffreylikespie

Postby Ferret » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:36 am

No problem. :D

Temporary resistance changes don't affect HP. This includes Brands (as well as the Hex condition, and a small number of passives like Auraward.) Basically, if the resistance change shows as green or red with arrows, it is counted as temporary. This is also true even if the change causes the last weakness to be removed.

Same goes for temporary Speed changes.
Ferret

Return to General Discussion