Turdak's Sanctum, YASD and ramblings

The tower awaits!

Re: Turdak's Sanctum, YASD and ramblings

Postby wizzzargh » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:49 am

Just luck finding the demons, that unused Silver Matrix is the only one I found.
wizzzargh

Postby wizzzargh » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:59 am

Took a break, came back, had some truly embarassing deaths to Throw Rock from Red Caps and then Brutal Zombies with random characters I had one game where I had 2 types of special slimes(Vile and Cursed) and it was great. Their super-colorful tiles make me happy, but I died anyway. Then I decided that at the very least I would CHOOSE a Fairy to help me survive the early game. However, I hadn't looked at what random abilities I had, and I ended up with Alluring Gaze, Mending, and Soothe, in addition to that fairy. A bit silly but... I called the character Overheal and they're doing quite well for themselves.

Highlights I remember- when idly trying to recruit a Cynocephalus, I was 1-turn away from failing the request when my Ogre got a Juggernaut move and was able to splatter the last herd human with that free move. What a pleasant surprise!

Also, when recruiting my Asrai, I noted an annoying bit of AI- I had set up a perfect defensive location, a corridor with Headless and Jiang Shi blocking off one end, and myself with Souleater and Ilomba at the other end. Peasants couldn't outdamage our healing... but the Asrai was really eager to push to the front lines, and my demons would let it through even when they were healthier than the Asrai was, and I'd have to do a quick reposition dance to get the Asrai away from the peasants (though with my healing it wasn't really a big issue) When the Asrai was decently hurt it wouldn't push to the front like that, but it seemed even at high yellow/low green health it would always try pushing up to the frontlines to get itself killed.

I had a REALLY tough fight with Ludoc- my team was mostly vulnerable to fire and lightning, and he had a lot of those skills scattered throughout his team. I had to disengage 3 times I think, and I lost 3 or maybe even 4 demons, while only managing to recruit one of his, if that. Usually I think Ludoc isn't too tough, but man, this game was an exception. Zaji was an easier fight than usual, since he got stunned by lots of Pouncing and several Yellow Whispers stuck on him. Madevra, as usual, was too tough for me to kill. When your whole party is light-vulnerable physical attackers, I don't think she's killable without absurd amounts of fight resetting.

I almost died in Turdak's Sanctum- during the link attempt(which failed) he leapt onto me, Stunned and Paralyzed me, and then my next 2 or 3 moves were blocked by paralysis as his Acheri pack and his own blades went to work on me. It's a good thing they were a little distracted by Miaodchaoin, who died in that fight but was resurrected with a Spirit Chime, or I would have easily died.

Code: Select all
Demon Party Dump File
Version 12/26/2015, Scoring Model: 8/22/2015
Dump file created at: 12/28/2015 04:10:41

Summoner Overheal...
was chosen by the Faithful Heart,
selected Healing and Mind as their starting elements,
is currently at Tower:10,
and is still alive!

--==== Main Character ===--

Name : Overheal
Level: 11
MaxHP: 79
MaxSP: 125

Strength: 4
Magic   : 50
Vitality: 22
Agility : 6
Cunning : 23

Resist: Body
Weak  : Fire

Abilities Known:
1) Mending (Type: Healing, 25 SP. Cannot be used on Mended targets. 150 Power heal. Applies Mended.)
2) Alluring Gaze (Type: Mind, 25 SP. 65% chance to cause Charm, turning the target against its allies. Cooldown: Presence (10))
3) Dash (Type: None, 20 SP. Move to the target position instantly. Cooldown: Charge (8))
4) Vigorous (Type: None, Passive. Increases SP regeneration by 50%.)
5) Charisma (Type: Mind, Passive. Presence cooldown recovers 30% faster when your HP are at more than 50% of maximum.)
6) Healing Charm (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 80 Power heal. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
7) Frost Dart (Type: Ice, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
8) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)

Inventory:
5 Chakra stone
3 Sage's tome
1 Pain rune
1 Curse rune
4 Pure stone
5 Heal stone
1 Heart rune
1 Wind card
1 Meteor rune
1 Trouble chime
1 Heal gem
1 Spirit chime
2 Pure gem
1 Mind matrix

--==== Current Party ===--

Name : Faerie
Level: 9
MaxHP: 55

Strength: 9
Magic   : 24
Vitality: 9
Agility : 29
Cunning : 24

Resist: Mind

Abilities Known:
1) Lucky Charm (Type: Healing, 5 SP. Reduces Luck cooldown by 1 turn. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
2) Healing Charm (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 80 Power heal. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well.)
3) Lucky Dodge (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 25% chance to dodge attacks. This works even when Stunned, Paralyzed, etc. Triggers a Luck cooldown when activated. Cooldown: Luck (3))
4) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
5) Diehard (Type: Defense, Passive. Prevents death, except by Ignite or Poison damage. May trigger an Endure cooldown when activated (more damage dealt = higher chance). Cooldown: Endure (5))
6) Malleable (Type: Healing, Passive. Improves natural HP regeneration and healing received (including from the Regen status effect) by 25%. Does not affect healing received based on dealing damage.)
7) Cleanse (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Poison, Infection, and Paralysis.)
8) Draw Wounds (Type: Healing, 0 SP. 105 Power heal. Costs HP equal to the amount healed. Healing and HP cost are limited to what will not kill the user and what the target needs to reach maximum. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (1))

Name : Headless
MaxHP: 78
MaxSP: 100

Strength: 23
Magic   : 7
Vitality: 39
Agility : 13
Cunning : 13

Immune: Body
Resist: Ice Dark
Weak  : Electricity Light

Abilities Known:
1) Inspiring Cut (Type: Slash, 20 SP. 70 Power attack. Briefly increases your or a nearby ally's accuracy by 25%.)
2) Daring Cut (Type: Slash, 20 SP. 70 Power attack. Briefly increases your or a nearby ally's offense by 25%.)
3) Diehard (Type: Defense, Passive. Prevents death, except by Ignite or Poison damage. May trigger an Endure cooldown when activated (more damage dealt = higher chance). Cooldown: Endure (5))
4) Mob Cover (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 20% chance to dodge attacks when adjacent to an enemy other than the attacker.)
5) Tormentor (Type: None, Passive. Restores 5 SP when you deal damage to one or more characters that have negative status effects.)
6) Malleable (Type: Healing, Passive. Improves natural HP regeneration and healing received (including from the Regen status effect) by 25%. Does not affect healing received based on dealing damage.)
7) Parry (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 33% chance to parry Melee and Direct range Slash, Impact, and Pierce abilities if your last used ability was also such.)
8) Mind Reader (Type: Mind, Passive. Increases accuracy and evasion by 13% versus all opponents. (Bonuses are affected by Mind resistance.))

Name : Brutal Jiang shi
MaxHP: 69

Strength: 33
Vitality: 23
Agility : 20
Cunning : 12

Weak  : Fire Electricity Light

Abilities Known:
1) Leech Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt (affected by Body resistance).)
2) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
3) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
4) Bloodthirst (Type: Body, Passive. Heals you for 25% of the damage you deal with Slash, Impact, or Pierce abilities (affected by Body resistance).)
5) Accursed (Type: Dark, Passive. Provides a 35% chance for your Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks to apply Pariah, causing the target's allies to take damage when the target does (excluding reactions).)
6) Slap Silly (Type: Impact, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 35% chance to inflict Panic,  causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized.)
7) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
8) Parry (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 33% chance to parry Melee and Direct range Slash, Impact, and Pierce abilities if your last used ability was also such.)

Name : Ilomba
MaxHP: 54

Strength: 15
Magic   : 15
Vitality: 19
Agility : 27
Cunning : 19

Weak  : Light

Abilities Known:
1) Leech Bite (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt (affected by Body resistance).)
2) Draw Wounds (Type: Healing, 0 SP. 105 Power heal. Costs HP equal to the amount healed. Healing and HP cost are limited to what will not kill the user and what the target needs to reach maximum. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (1))
3) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
4) Accursed (Type: Dark, Passive. Provides a 35% chance for your Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks to apply Pariah, causing the target's allies to take damage when the target does (excluding reactions).)
5) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
6) Mind Reader (Type: Mind, Passive. Increases accuracy and evasion by 13% versus all opponents. (Bonuses are affected by Mind resistance.))
7) Mob Cover (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 20% chance to dodge attacks when adjacent to an enemy other than the attacker.)
8) Parry (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 33% chance to parry Melee and Direct range Slash, Impact, and Pierce abilities if your last used ability was also such.)

Name : Miodchaoin
MaxHP: 80

Strength: 35
Magic   : 12
Vitality: 34
Agility : 12
Cunning : 12

Resist: Body
Weak  : Fire Mind

Abilities Known:
1) Smash (Type: Impact, 10 SP. 85 Power attack.)
2) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
3) Juggernaut (Type: Defense, Passive. When your last action was movement or a movement ability, you have 25% improved defense and your next turn comes faster when damaged.)
4) Oppressor (Type: Dark, Passive. Increases defense by 25% against enemies with lower HP. (Bonus is affected by Dark resistance.))
5) Second Wind (Type: Healing, 0 SP. Restores 30 SP and resets Breath cooldown. Cooldown: Endure (3))
6) Mighty Roar (Type: Impact, 40 SP. 0-85 Power attack, based on the user's SP (more SP = more Power). Has a 35% chance to inflict Stun, causing the targets to miss their next turn. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Breath (8))
7) Malleable (Type: Healing, Passive. Improves natural HP regeneration and healing received (including from the Regen status effect) by 25%. Does not affect healing received based on dealing damage.)

Name : Lilim Hand (Psychic Akateko)
MaxHP: 58

Strength: 6
Magic   : 31
Vitality: 17
Agility : 26
Cunning : 25

Resist: Mind Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Vampiric Touch (Type: Body, 15 SP. 85 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% if the damage dealt.)
2) Wraith Touch (Type: Dark, 15 SP. 70 Power attack, split between HP and MaxHP damage. 66% of the MaxHP damage is drained to the user as bonus MaxHP.)
3) Evade Step (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 33% chance to dodge attacks when your last action was movement or a movement ability.)
4) Blue Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to cause Sleep, preventing the target from acting for several turns or until damaged. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
5) Charisma (Type: Mind, Passive. Presence cooldown recovers 30% faster when your HP are at more than 50% of maximum.)
6) Mob Cover (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 20% chance to dodge attacks when adjacent to an enemy other than the attacker.)
7) Mighty Roar (Type: Impact, 40 SP. 0-85 Power attack, based on the user's SP (more SP = more Power). Has a 35% chance to inflict Stun, causing the targets to miss their next turn. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Breath (8))
8) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))

Name : Ehlose
Level: 10
MaxHP: 61

Strength: 28
Magic   : 8
Vitality: 34
Cunning : 17

Resist: Ice Electricity Light Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Mightbreaker (Type: Impact, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 50% chance to reduce offense by 20%.)
2) Warning Cry (Type: Buff, 30 SP. Briefly improves evasion by 25% for you and your allies. Cooldown: Presence (6))
3) Crusader (Type: Light, Passive. Provides a 35% chance for your Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks to apply Guilt, healing those who damage the target (excluding reactions).)
4) Mighty Roar (Type: Impact, 40 SP. 0-85 Power attack, based on the user's SP (more SP = more Power). Has a 35% chance to inflict Stun, causing the targets to miss their next turn. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Breath (8))
5) Second Wind (Type: Healing, 0 SP. Restores 30 SP and resets Breath cooldown. Cooldown: Endure (3))
6) Piercing Cry (Type: Debuff, 25 SP. 70% chance to briefly reduce defense by 20% for enemies. Cooldown: Presence (6))

Name : Violent Angel
Level: 6
MaxHP: 53

Strength: 21
Magic   : 22
Vitality: 16
Agility : 16
Cunning : 5

Immune: Light
Resist: Fire Electricity
Weak  : Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Punish (Type: Light, 15 SP. Must target a character whose last action was a damaging ability. 55 Power attack. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Light (3))
2) Mending (Type: Healing, 25 SP. Cannot be used on Mended targets. 150 Power heal. Applies Mended.)
3) Protect (Type: Buff, 25 SP. Improves defense by 25%.)
4) Refresh (Type: Healing, 5 SP. Transfers up to 20 SP from the user to the target.)
5) Bloodthirst (Type: Body, Passive. Heals you for 25% of the damage you deal with Slash, Impact, or Pierce abilities (affected by Body resistance).)
6) Infectious (Type: Body, Passive. Provides a 35% chance for your Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks to apply Infection, which hinders HP and SP recovery.)
7) ------------
8) ------------

This is the character type I seem to do best with- a magic-focused healer with a single ranged attack, and Alluring Gaze. I held on to Hinder for a long time before finally getting Frost Dart, Great healing, lots of SP to throw around and an elemental debuff/attack, with the obligatory Dash for emergencies and chases. I managed to pick up Charisma from a Lilim and am enjoying that as well. I gotta say, Cold damage getting the Chill effect for free makes Cold clearly the best element in my book- even if something is resistant you still get to debuff it, and compared to the miniscule Stun effects of Shock and the miniscule damage of Ignite, I think Cold is always the way to go.
My secret technique with this character is the terrible agility- though I miss frequently against single foes, I can be pretty sure of hitting SOMETHING if I fire into the heart of the ubiquitous packs of the Tower, and I sometimes even fire through my own demons, counting on my terrible accuracy to ensure I miss my own units but hit someone behind them. Mostly, I just heal and charm, summon and unsummon...

I've got a really beefy fairy- in addition to the classic Tireless, she sports Diehard, Malleable, Cleanse, and Draw Wounds. I usually don't bring her out since I'm plenty of healer, but she can really whip out the healing if I need more.

Headless hasn't seen much use in the last few floors- He serves well as a defensive frontliner who can use buffs. I like Tormentor on Headless because Daring/Inspiring Cut cost a lot of SP. Also, he was the first demon this run that I started using Malleable on- and I really liked what I saw. I think I might start getting Malleable as first priority from Slimes instead of Reshape...

The Brutal Jiang Shi came with great abilities- Slap Silly and Accursed. Spreading Panic and Pariah is great- Pariah damage is small but when you're fighting really big packs or double encounters you do start to notice it. Add in Yellow Whisper for more panic and Parry for some defense, and this Jiang Shi is a very durable fighter.

The Ilomba is basically my Jiang-Shi-lite. I packed this snake's skills on when I had just lost some demons and was trying to whip the new guy into fighting shape, and it worked pretty well.

Miodchaoin had an Ogre buddy for a while, but really there's hardly much point in having an Ogre when you have the best Ogre of all. His high HP and Malleable are good complements to my powerful healing, and of course the roaring is top notch.

The craziest demon I have is definitely my Akateko. I sacrificed a Lilim to it after teaching it some of the Lilim's skills, and got Mind Blank and Mind Blast, which I hastily made it forget, lest it spend all it's time dinking around in the background. I gave it Mob Cover for defense, Pounce for offensive movement, and Mighty Roar because the thought of a Lilim-Hand bouncing about and roaring people to sleep is pretty funny. It's effective as well- it's currently scuttling around with +20 max HP.

I've turned an Ehlose into a secondary Roar-er, with Second Wind to double down on the roaring. If I pull out all 3 roarers, I do a lot of damage to enemy packs, and it's quite fun.

The Violent Angel is sort of a mistake- I'm certain when I was looking at it it had Counterattack, the 50% chance of a 55 damage attack when something hits you in melee. I thought all modified demons in a pack have the same skills, so maybe another angel from a different pack had somehow showed up and I recruited that one instead? I was chopping though a bunch of Easg/Angel packs on that floor, so it's not inconceivable.
wizzzargh

Postby Ferret » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:08 pm

Hmm.. protect captureables aren't currently treated any differently than other allies in terms of swapping. I could lower their swap priority so they tend to stay back more... but on the other hand, Protect captureables are balanced assuming you have 5 combatants. Even in a hallway, 5 can be better than 4 if the 5th is free to swap around when HP/SP dictate: if I prevent that, then the 5th will be dead weight unless it has heals or can reach over allies. This is one of those unfortunate cases where there are multiple good schools of thought on the topic, but the AI has to pick one and roll with it, which means it's going to disappoint someone who'd really prefer the second option. Your way might be better overall (which if it is, would justify the switch for the AI, since I try to pick the most effective strategy in these cases), but I'll have to think about it a bit before I can jump on this one.

Yeah, by the time you run into Maddie, you really need to have something else besides a pack of undead for buddies. :) That say, Infection, if applied consistently, can actually do fairly well: She'll waste a lot of time Cleansing it, and if you land it when she can't afford Cleanse, it will shut off Cleave too, greatly reducing the healing from Guilt. But with her Heroic resistance, this will usually require 3 or 4 characters capable of applying Infect to accomplish. By comparison Zaji is basically just a "did you find the unsummon key" test. :D He will usually run himself out of SP after nuking 2 or 3 guys to critical, and after that, he's running on fumes and can usually be worn down by the remaining party. While he still has Heroic resistance, he doesn't have Maddie's Vitality score, so status effects tend to stick on him a fair bit more easily too, as you discovered. :)

As far as Charisma goes, I'm still waiting for someone to try an Ego Theft + Charisma + Presence nonsense build. :) Or, swap Charisma for Bravado and add in Draw Wounds and Share Pain and... well, suffice it to say there's a lot you could do with this direction. Though I confess some of the best abilities for it probably come a bit too late relative to current content (Madness Glare in particular.)

Ice is certainly the most reliable secondary effect... but Shock's stuns can be highly effective when they land (and unlike Stun, they work on Mind-resistant/immunes :D ), and Fire's Ignite, though short, does the same damage as Poison each turn. Ignite also allows you to use to trigger various other effects, once you have the later fire spells like Pyrokinesis or even early passives like Warmth. All that said, the next build includes some things that may change the debate on this a bit. :D

Low Agility + Projectiles.. I admit I haven't thought of that before. :D Though, really, even with "low" Agility, your base hit rate will still be about 70%. And since your projectile in question is Ice, Chill will bump you back up to 80% once it hits. :D

Malleable is a solid passive, its only downside being it requires outside help to be useful. (It does actually affect base HP regen too, but this is so tiny to begin with it's meaningless.) It can be a worthwhile investment for anyone you expect to need a lot of healing though. Healing is expensive SP wise, anything that saves you casts of it is a boon.

That was a Really Good roll on a Jiang Shi. :) Accursed/Pariah also picks up once you start to get access to more AE abilities. You should try an Orb of Power build that begins with an AE and Dark Omen one day maybe. :D Also works good with smiters, since they can at least focus fire the Pariah'd target no matter what.

Re: Miodchoadin. I'll probably regret mentioning this, but Mighty Roar *is* a physical attack. :D Have you considered giving him Accursed? :)

That is definitely one funny Akateko. :D Reminds me of that line about "what is the sound of one hand clapping". :P

Yeah, sometimes, the same modifier will show up twice in a group, but have been triggered by two individual rolls, not one group roll, in which case, they may have different colors/abilities. At least it came with two good passives, though they're also fairly easy to get in most games.

I'm getting pretty close on finishing the Anomaly build. :D In addition to adding that, it also has a fair number of other interesting changes too. (I've also been doing some refactor tractor work to make future dungeon branches a bit easier to add, which is part of the delay on this one.) Since you're one of the few people who consistently gets to Tower:5-6 where the entrance will appear, I'm looking forward to what you think of it. :D

Thanks again for the report. :) Good luck with the rest of your run. :D
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:23 am

Died. Right after killing off the Dark Vodun Mask Summoner and all his filthy fire-flinging friends (dude had two Ukobach!) a pack of Baleful Raiju showed up and between the pounce stunning, the shock stunning, and a Shikigami that I was trying to support delaying actions, I couldn't outpace the incoming damage very well and while swapping through my demons, I got stunned, brought to low HP, then Snuffed Out (I'm pretty sure I had Dark vulnerability too, which wasn't helping) just before I managed to satisfy the Shikigami by finishing off a Raiju. Also not helping- since my 'main fighters' were hurt from the summoner fight, I had to bring out my Jiang Shi, Headless, and Ilomba, 2 of whom were electricity vulnerable and one of which (the Ilomba) was just kind of a mediocre combatant, so they didn't last long against the Raiju. I think if I had fled immediately after finishing off some of the summoners leftover demons I could have escaped, I just got greedy and tried to exterminate the weakened remnants even when I knew the Raiju pack was coming.

I did find this rad Shisha and had myself end up with Holy Breath and Second Wind as well. Second wind helped with healing as well, and it was nice to have another cooldown ability instead of just having Alluring Gaze.

Not much changed from the last update, though I did put Accursed on all my Mighty-Roar demons. It wasn't too noticeable, honestly, since apart from the initial Pariah causing roars, there weren't any AoE attacks to trigger Pariah multiple times. Still, I only had to give up Flesheater on Miaod and Evade Step on Akateko, and those defensive sacrifices were acceptable since I was such a mighty healer. Maybe I shouldn't have given up Mending, though- relying on only Healing Charm without some big Mendings to throw down may well have been my doom in that last battle, where Healing Charm wasn't enough to let my demons keep fighting- only enough to keep them alive to swap out.
wizzzargh

Postby Ferret » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:56 am

Ouch. :o Modded Raiju (or even just Raiju) would be trouble in any circumstance, but just after a summoner fight... yeah, that's rough. Still a good run though. :) That Shisa was definiely impressive: resistant or immune to 3 of the 4 status elements, and I imagine it had good damage output w/ the double Holy Word. Some good support/control. :D

Mending's a funny one. People get rid of it often because of the restriction on its use... but 150 Power is a *huge* heal. Most of the spammable ones don't come anywhere near that, or have onerous restrictions/catches. I'd probably say that a full time healer should really have either Mending or Draw Wounds: Draw Wounds can be "stacked" with other heals to get you to 150 Power in one turn, if you can eat the HP cost. Of course, both together and you can go crazy. :)

The next build's getting pretty close now, hoping to release sometime this week. :) You'll have a (hopefully!) interesting new side dungeon to play in soon. :D Fair number of system / ability balance changes, so the rest of the game will be a bit different too. I'm hoping further content pushes will be faster since I knocked out a fair bit of refactor tractor work and system implementation that was needed for branch dungeons this time. :D
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:49 am

Well well, I am currently playing the Anomaly build! Was not expecting it to be more than one floor deep, aren't you worried about there being too much XP available? Feeling pretty high-level for Tower:6... on the other hand, I did lose several demons to the fiery attentions of Fotia, so it's not like I didn't work for that XP...

First off, my first attempt at this build is alive, I just paused because of a spooky bug, depicted here. I somehow got into an infinite loop of Madevra blocking my Gi's attack :shock: - I just quit the game and things have reset by a turn or two and it seems fine now(not that I've played any more turns...) I probably don't have the right stuff to kill her right now anyway, so I'll probably just run away and continue tomorrow rather than wait for a bugfix.

Now that Mob Cover is only 15 dodge, Evasion is a little more appealing. Fortunately for me, I stumbled into Stone Stance from a Solid Zombie relatively early, so I feel like I ended up with really good blocking anyway. Not sure if Evade Step also needed the nerf, but then I suppose I DID win with a movement-based Turdak and Miadchaoin and that felt really strong.

My frontliners are the usual suspects of undead nasties obtained in the early game, Headless and a Ghoul. I had a Brutal Will-o-Wisp that injected Accursed into my party DNA, and I am noticing Pariah damage stacking up now that it's all over my party. Mainly, it's a nice enabler for my Blight smites when I don't want to use Hinder(though I think HInder is pretty good support for my team of shambling monsters). I started with the new Vodun Mask fire abilities, and though I've moved away from them, they felt pretty good. Nice to see more 'combos' available for Fire.

As I said, I lost some demons to Fotia on Anomaly 1, but I've been able to recruit all of those elementals to replace them, except Air, but I almost got one of them too. Bad positioning and an inability to land Hinder on them enough to counter Fade was just enough to deny me that cool lightning ability-curses!

I met Python, and failed to kill him due to the same reasons I failed to get an air elemental, and, more saliently, a big bloody Nero healing him. I did get the Blessed Ruhin that ran with him. I like the telepathic negotiations- the Ruhin really wanted me to teach it skills, but it got upset when I tried the 'only if you join immediately.' Luckily it asked again though, so I got it. Between Headless and the Ruhin I can get a fair amount of buffing going on.

On Gremlins- these guys are surprisingly nasty, especially when supported by Fotia. I had a lot of Calm in my party but without that I could see things going wrong really fast. They're hard to recruit, too- it took dash and blue whispers to recruit one and I still barely caught it. Still, they're a good upgrade from a Zar I'd say.

On Chaos- I kinda wanted to see what would show up if I linked (and with Souleater and flesheaters I'm sure I could have handled it) but I didn't really need that sort of 'lifebender.' On the subject of 'protect me' mechanics, I had an absurdly easy time with a Psychic Asrai- she was content to mindblast in the background while my flesh and soul-eating buddies scarfed down endless peasants. Seeing Pariah trigger on peasant hordes was great fun. The Psychic Asrai ended up dying to Fotia before I could get Hypnotic Gaze, though.

On Fotia- like I said, very nasty. Like an Ukobach pack with smites and heals. Finding them made me regret ditching my fire abilities in favor of these dark abilities from the Profane Freybug, but ah well. I think they're definitely the terror of the Anomaly- I'm lucky enough to be fire resistant, but yow, if I wasn't, I could easily have been ashes instead of my fallen demons.

On Gi- not super threatening, but then I suppose I did have Dark attacks. I like how their chase mechanic is more like a test of endurance rather than speed. I've trained up this Solid Gi to be a flesheating, fiery-veiled Basker who came with Block Physical and Mob Cover, so I hope that will prove to be marvelously durable.

On Nero- I don't quite know how Affection works (max HP=150 power?) but with my MaxHP draining abilities I'm going to go ahead and say that this is probably the best healing spell I could have found. I guess its weakness is that it becomes a poor emergency option to save yourself and suffers even more from healers being attacked? But yeah, these guys are amazing healers, annoying to fight but amazing to have. And hey, a healer who resists fire! Just what I needed.

On giant slime packs in anomaly- :lol:
On Blobs- Surprised they didn't show up with Slimes- maybe they don't get along? Not too dangerous, just have to watch out for getting too poisoned.
On Shoggoth- I was shocked to see a LEVEL 16 monster available for recruitment here. And Negotiation? Amazing! The shoggoth was unimpressed by my weak low-level lifeforce, but I still got +2 favor by letting it drain me to 1HP. I also moved closer and unsummoned my allies- the Blobs it was with had no ranged attacks so I knew I could Dash out, and lo, I was all set to tekeli some serious li. I immediately trained it with some random points I had lying around as was very proud of the results- Blue Whisper and Dreamstalker plus Eat Alive! What a horrible fate to anyone on the wrong end of that. Unfortunately, I then sent my unstoppable beast to fight a pack of Fetches and despite viewing what Void Touch did, I let my poor Shoggoth get disintegrated down to a measly 15 HP before switching to my Dark-resistant Lilim and Headless. I guess it's the size of a snowball now... :?

Anyway, I'm thinking the Body/Light/Dark weakness on many of the Anomaly monsters is a built in soft limit to their lifespan. Angel packs and Turdak's Sanctum will be brutal. And I haven't found a single matrix to maybe shore up some of their weaknesses...
Demon Party Dump File
Version 1/1/2016, Scoring Model: 1/1/2016
Dump file created at: 01/02/2016 03:36:14

Summoner Emberblight...
was chosen by the Vodun Mask,
selected Fire and Dark as their starting elements,
is currently at Anomaly:3,
and is still alive!

Name : Emberblight
Level: 8
MaxHP: 68

Magic   : 44
Vitality: 18
Agility : 4
Cunning : 20

Resist: Fire

Abilities Known:
1) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
2) Vigor Siphon (Type: Dark, 30 SP. 70 Power attack, split between HP and MaxHP damage. 66% of the MaxHP damage is drained to the user as bonus MaxHP. Cannot miss.)
3) Blight (Type: Dark, 20 SP. Must be used on a target with one or more negative status effects. 62 Power attack, plus 8 Power per negative status effect on the target. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Dark (3))
4) Tormentor (Type: None, Passive. Restores 5 SP when you deal damage to one or more characters that have negative status effects.)
5) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
6) Hinder (Type: Debuff, 15 SP. 70% chance to reduce evasion by 20%.)
7) Affection (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 60-150 Power heal, based on your remaining HP (more HP = higher Power).)
8) Dash (Type: None, 20 SP. Move to the target position instantly. Cooldown: Charge (8))

Inventory:
2 Night rune
4 Bolt rune
1 Venom rune
1 Heart rune
1 Frost rune
1 Pain rune
3 Chakra gem
4 Pure stone
1 Heal gem
1 Trouble chime
6 Heal stone
2 Chakra stone
1 Pure gem
1 Curse rune
1 Peace offering
2 Sage's tome
1 Silver offering
1 Flame rune

Level: 7
MaxHP: 69

Magic   : 6
Vitality: 35
Agility : 12
Cunning : 11

Abilities Known:
1) Daring Cut (Type: Slash, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Briefly increases your or a nearby ally's offense by 25%.)
2) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
3) Diehard (Type: Defense, Passive. Prevents death, except by Ignite or Poison damage. May trigger an Endure cooldown when activated (more damage dealt = higher chance). Cooldown: Endure (5))
4) Tormentor (Type: None, Passive. Restores 5 SP when you deal damage to one or more characters that have negative status effects.)
6) Accursed (Type: Dark, Passive. Provides a 35% chance for your Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks to apply Pariah, causing the target's allies to take damage when the target does (excluding reactions).)
7) Stone Stance (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 15% chance to block Slash, Impact, Pierce, Fire, Ice, and Electricity attacks if your last action was not movement.)
8) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))

Name : Ghoul
Level: 10
MaxHP: 66

Strength: 24
Vitality: 22
Agility : 24
Cunning : 22

Resist: Ice
Weak  : Fire Mind Light

Abilities Known:
1) Numbing Bite (Type: Pierce, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 35% chance to inflict Paralysis, causing the target to frequently miss their turns.)
2) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
3) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
4) Accursed (Type: Dark, Passive. Provides a 35% chance for your Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks to apply Pariah, causing the target's allies to take damage when the target does (excluding reactions).)
5) Mob Cover (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 15% chance to dodge attacks when adjacent to an enemy other than the attacker.)
6) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
7) Stone Stance (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 15% chance to block Slash, Impact, Pierce, Fire, Ice, and Electricity attacks if your last action was not movement.)
8) Diehard (Type: Defense, Passive. Prevents death, except by Ignite or Poison damage. May trigger an Endure cooldown when activated (more damage dealt = higher chance). Cooldown: Endure (5))

Name : Lilim
Level: 8
MaxHP: 55

Strength: 7
Magic   : 22
Vitality: 14
Agility : 24
Cunning : 23

Weak  : Ice Light

Abilities Known:
1) Blue Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to cause Sleep, preventing the target from acting for several turns or until damaged. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
2) Leech Touch (Type: Body, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt.)
3) Dreamstalker (Type: Mind, Passive. Your attacks deal 50% more damage to and do not wake up Sleeping targets that have full HP.)
4) Charisma (Type: Mind, Passive. Presence cooldown recovers 30% faster when your HP are at more than 50% of maximum.)
5) Stone Stance (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 15% chance to block Slash, Impact, Pierce, Fire, Ice, and Electricity attacks if your last action was not movement.)
6) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
7) Affection (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 60-150 Power heal, based on your remaining HP (more HP = higher Power).)
8) ------------

Name : Fotia
MaxHP: 49

Magic   : 28
Vitality: 6
Agility : 17
Cunning : 28

Immune: Fire
Weak  : Light Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Flame Dart (Type: Fire, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration.)
2) Fiery Veil (Type: Fire, Reactive. Responds to damage dealt to you by adjacent characters with a 20 Power attack that has a 13% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration. Cannot miss.)
3) Fan Flames (Type: Fire, 25 SP. Must target an Ignited character. 55 Power attack. Has a 33% chance to Ignite the target for an unusually long duration. Cannot miss.)
4) Bask (Type: Fire, 0 SP. Must target an Ignited enemy. No effect on the target, but triggers a 60 Power heal on and restores 10 SP for the user. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (3))
5) ------------
6) ------------
7) ------------
8) ------------

Name : Nero
MaxHP: 58

Strength: 10
Magic   : 26
Vitality: 26
Cunning : 10

Resist: Fire Ice
Weak  : Body Light Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Affection (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 60-150 Power heal, based on your remaining HP (more HP = higher Power).)
2) Regenerate (Type: Healing, 25 SP. Bestows Regeneration, restoring health over time.)
3) Cleanse (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Poison, Infection, and Paralysis.)
4) Lifegiver (Type: Healing, Passive. Reduces the SP cost of Healing abilities by 5, to a minimum of 0.)
5) ------------
6) ------------
7) ------------
8) ------------

Name : Solid Gi
MaxHP: 78

Strength: 19
Magic   : 5
Vitality: 51
Agility : 5
Cunning : 5

Immune: Electricity
Resist: Slash Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Lob Stone (Type: Impact, 10 SP. 85 Power attack. Cooldown: Luck (4))
2) Stunning Blow (Type: Impact, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 35% chance to inflict Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn.)
3) Stone Stance (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 15% chance to block Slash, Impact, Pierce, Fire, Ice, and Electricity attacks if your last action was not movement.)
4) Block Physical (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 20% chance to block Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks.)
5) Mob Cover (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 15% chance to dodge attacks when adjacent to an enemy other than the attacker.)
6) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
7) Fiery Veil (Type: Fire, Reactive. Responds to damage dealt to you by adjacent characters with a 20 Power attack that has a 13% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration. Cannot miss.)
8) Bask (Type: Fire, 0 SP. Must target an Ignited enemy. No effect on the target, but triggers a 60 Power heal on and restores 10 SP for the user. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (3))

Name : Blessed Ruhin
MaxHP: 56

Magic   : 14
Vitality: 17
Agility : 22
Cunning : 26

Weak  : Electricity

Abilities Known:
1) Focus (Type: Buff, 20 SP. Improves accuracy by 25%.)
2) Alert (Type: Buff, 20 SP. Improves evasion by 25%.)
3) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
4) Blessweaver (Type: Buff, Passive. Reduces the SP cost of Buff abilities by 5, to a minimum of 0.)
5) Prepare (Type: Buff, 5 SP. Briefly improves defense by 25%. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (5))
6) Fade (Type: Buff, 5 SP. Briefly improves evasion by 25%. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (5))
7) Dreamstalker (Type: Mind, Passive. Your attacks deal 50% more damage to and do not wake up Sleeping targets that have full HP.)
8) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))

Name : Shoggoth
Level: 16
MaxHP: 85

Strength: 31
Magic   : 10
Vitality: 40
Agility : 23

Resist: Impact Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Speedbreaker (Type: Impact, 20 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 35% chance to reduce speed by 33%.)
2) Healing Factor (Type: Healing, Reactive. Bestows Regeneration when an attack reduces your health to 50% or less, restoring health over time. Cooldown: Factor (1))
3) Eat Alive (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 100 Power attack. 50% accuracy. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt (affected by Body resistance).)
4) Dazzling Veil (Type: Mind, Reactive. 20% chance to Stun adjacent characters that deal damage to you, causing them to miss their next turn.)
5) Blue Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to cause Sleep, preventing the target from acting for several turns or until damaged. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
6) Dreamstalker (Type: Mind, Passive. Your attacks deal 50% more damage to and do not wake up Sleeping targets that have full HP.)

--==== Recently Slain Allies ===--

Name : Echeneis
Level: 1
MaxHP: 35

Strength: 8
Magic   : 13
Agility : 11
Cunning : 7

Abilities Known:
1) Chilling Touch (Type: Ice, 5 SP. 70 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
2) Deep Chill (Type: Ice, Passive. Increases the duration of your Chill effects by 3 turns.)
3) Headwind (Type: Ice, Passive. Ice attacks delay the next turn of targets that moved during their previous turn.)
4) ------------
5) ------------

Name : Brutal Will o' wisp
Level: 5
MaxHP: 50

Magic   : 9
Vitality: 13
Cunning : 15

Resist: Slash Impact Pierce
Weak  : Electricity Light Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Ghost Pierce (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Moves you to different, randomly selected, position adjacent to the target.)
2) Evade Step (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 25% chance to dodge attacks when your last action was movement or a movement ability.)
5) Bull Rush (Type: Impact, 10 SP. Must target a character. Charge to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
6) Reshape (Type: Healing, 0 SP. Removes all negative status effects, then applies a 125 Power heal. Free action. Cooldown: Endure (5))
7) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
8) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))

Name : Psychic Asrai
Level: 4
MaxHP: 43

Vitality: 5
Agility : 15

Immune: Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Freezing Touch (Type: Ice, 10 SP. 85 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
2) Frost Dart (Type: Ice, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
3) Arctic Veil (Type: Ice, Reactive. Responds to damage dealt to you by adjacent characters with a 20 Power attack that inflicts Chill, reducing the target's accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%. Cannot miss.)
4) Frostbite (Type: Ice, Passive. Your Ice attacks also reduce the target's SP by 5.)
5) Hypnotic Gaze (Type: Mind, 25 SP. 65% chance to inflict Sleep, preventing the target from acting for several turns or until damaged. Cooldown: Presence (10))
6) Mind Spike (Type: Mind, 10 SP. 40 Power attack. Cannot miss.)
7) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
8) ------------

Name : Profane Freybug
MaxHP: 48

Cunning : 27

Abilities Known:
1) Hinder (Type: Debuff, 15 SP. 70% chance to reduce evasion by 20%.)
2) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
3) Low Profile (Type: Defense, Passive. Always dodge projectiles fired by allies unless directly targeted.)
5) Vigor Siphon (Type: Dark, 30 SP. 70 Power attack, split between HP and MaxHP damage. 66% of the MaxHP damage is drained to the user as bonus MaxHP. Cannot miss.)
6) Cull (Type: Dark, 20 SP. Must target a character whose HP is 50% or less of their maximum. 70 Power attack. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Dark (3))
7) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
8) ------------

Name : Zar
MaxHP: 47

Strength: 13
Magic   : 16
Agility : 19

Abilities Known:
1) Feral Claw (Type: Slash, 5 SP. 70 Power attack.)
2) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
3) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
4) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
5) ------------
6) ------------
7) ------------
8) ------------

Name : Gremlin
MaxHP: 39

Vitality: 15
Agility : 21
Cunning : 21

Resist: Electricity
Weak  : Body

Abilities Known:
1) Focusbreaker (Type: Impact, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 50% chance to reduce accuracy by 20%.)
2) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
3) Dash (Type: None, 20 SP. Move to the target position instantly. Cooldown: Charge (8))
4) Mob Cover (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 15% chance to dodge attacks when adjacent to an enemy other than the attacker.)
5) ------------
6) ------------

wizzzargh

Postby Ferret » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:45 pm

Eeek! Damn Unity bugs. At some point it disconnected a bunch of prefabs on abilities and I apparently missed a few. :( Fix going up shortly. I'll respond in more length to the post once that's out there. :P
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:49 pm

Okay, bug is fixed and build released, so now I can reply properly. :)

XP availability: Tower:6 and up were adjusted to account for the new XP, but it was done in a way that even if a player is forced to retreat from the Anomaly, they won't be completely screwed. To illustrate:

Old level curve:
Tower 5: XL4
Tower 6: XL5
Tower 7: XL6
Tower 8: XL7
Tower 9: XL8
Etc.

New level curve:
Tower 5: XL4
Anomaly 1: XL5
Anomaly 2: XL6
Anomaly 3: XL7
Tower 6: XL6
Tower 7: XL8
Tower 8: XL10
Tower 9: XL11
Etc.

Basically, if you fully clear the anomaly, you will be XL7 or 8, and Tower:6 is geared for XL6. Small advantage. But, since you're over its level, you won't quite gain a full level, and will probably still be 7 or 8 on Tower:7. You'll level there immediately, and almost again by the time you finish, putting you at 8 or 9 for Tower:8. At that point, you're running even again.

On the other hand, even if you skip the Anomaly entirely, you'd be 4 or 5 going in Tower:6. Bit rough, but you'll level a bit faster since you're under. Tower:7 and 8 will be a bit rough too, since they're also +2 XL each and will outpace even your accelerated leveling, but you'll catch up around Tower:9 or Tower:10 after that has stopped for a couple of levels.

That said: It's still better to clear the Anomaly than not. :D Being behind 2 levels on Tower:6-8 will sting a bit during tougher kinds of capture attempts that already difficult, and while your XP will eventually catch up, and you won't have gotten the items, demons, or abilities of the Anomaly either. It doesn't doom you though.

TLDR: If you do the Anomaly, you get a small advantage on the following couple of Tower floors. If you skip it or are forced to retreat, you'll have a bit of a disadvantage the next few floors (how many/how much depends on how much you did.)

Well, now that I've answered the first two lines of your post, let's continue. :D Thanks again for the bug report. Ugh. I always seem to miss one nasty one per build. :( I try not to be hard on myself about it though, it isn't like I have a QA team. :D

The issues with Dodge abilities seemed to be two-fold: the bonuses they were giving were a bit too good for how easily the conditional ones were to trigger (Mob Cover had no business being x2 evasion for such a silly easy condition :P ), and the bonuses were too high taken together. I'm trying to stick with direct stacking (i.e.: X + Y = X+Y, not some reduced value Z) when possible, since it's more clear to players, so I'm hoping reducing the "conditional" Dodge %s will be enough to put things in line.

Pariah is great fun. :) My snowman testing build had it available too, also from Accursed, so I know what you mean. :D

Funny that you mention had trouble with Fotia, on my snowman run, I worried they were a bit weaker than I was expecting. I did have a *really* good Faerie healer though. Well, this is why I don't make changes to balance based on my just my own testing runs, I'd probably have turned them into old school Raichos without meaning to. :P (Not sure you ever saw Raichos back in their earliest forms... when I gave them a decent Magic stat instead of a terrible one, and they had Bolt Chain instead of High Voltage... and only Body and Mind for weaknesses. :P But.. yeah, it was bad.)

Ruhin: :D I'm glad you like the new negotiation "voice". It was a bit of a weird one, but I thought it'd be neat. :)

Gremlins: Nasty little buggers. They can completely ruin your ability to conduct an offense, between the Panic and ACC debuffs being flung around, and they're already hard to hit themselves. "Cannot miss" abilities and Calm are both big helps. :D Only downside versus a Zar is they don't come with Calm themselves.

Chaos: You might have regretted it. You might REALLY have regretted it. :)

Psychic Asrai: Protect captureables are one of the few times a modifier is completely helpful to capturing the demon... which, I'm not sure I like. :( I think I may have an idea on how to address it, but I need to noodle on it a bit more. :)

Gi: Probably the runt of the litter, but then, something had to be. :) They can provide good cover for ranged demons though, and those rocks can get annoying if they get some good rolls on Luck cooldowns.

Nero: Yeah, at your maximum HP, you'd get 150 Power out of it. It maaaay need a nerf, but we'll see. :) It's definitely a strong heal. The main disadvantages are (as you noted) it isn't good for saving yourself from trouble, and also it plays poorly with Draw Wounds, which is usually a stable of my own healer builds.

Slime Packs: These are basically there for thematic reasons. :) But hey, if you missed a chance to pick up Reshape (now a free action!), you can definitely get it from these. :D

Blob: They can show up with Slimes, sometimes. Agreed that they aren't too threatening to most groups, though the DEF Down + Leech Bite can get a little ugly sometimes.

Shoggoth: This is one of three tests of a "rare encounter" mechanic I'm playing with. Basically, I'm adding very low chances of very unusually high level encounters here and there. Shoggoths are one of the two in the Anomaly. The other is Ghoul in Tower: 1 & 1/2 (these actually used to be a normal encounter there, but as part of the Anomaly level rebalancing, they got pushed to XL8, so I made them rare.) I had adjusted negotiation a bit to give disadvantages for being low level in order to make them properly challenging. :) Not sure I went far enough, but negotiation is a touchy one since it's non-combat, I don't want to make it just flatly impossible either because that'd defeat the purpose. :)

Sorry it got turned into a Chihuahuagoth by Fetches. :( One nasty bit is that since MaxHP recovery is based on XP you earn relative to your level it may be a bit recovering due to being overleveled... might be worth remembering Pure Stones/Gems restore a little MaxHP. :D

As a group, the Anomaly fellows do have some ugly weaknesses, but they also have some good resistances. :) I'm expecting them to be useful, but require a bit of thought on when to use them. I would have trouble recommending many of them for "A team" roles, but plenty of good pinch-hitters in the mix.

It sounds like you didn't run into any Aithir yet? :) Maybe once you're playing post-bugfix one will show up. :D

Party comments:

Main character: Yeah, I like the new Fire option on Mask too. :D I wanted one for Mask originally, but the right abilities weren't in yet. Combust + Fan Flames works really well for them, and is also a great start on a Warmth build. :) Well, maybe next time. :P

Inventory: You may not have found any matrices, but you're sure loaded down with almost everything else. :P

Most of the party: Stone Stance, Stone Stance, Stone Stance. :P It's pretty nice, and I think it was overdue. Movement-based melee had been given a fair number of toys, but plain old melee needed some too. :)

Solid Gi: Fiery Veil + Bask is probably going to be very nice here, even if the poor thing is virtually magically inert. :) Almost sort of a magma elemental or something now.

Ruhin: Dreamstalker? But, it doesn't have any attacks yet? What's the plan for him? :D

"Snowball" the Shoggoth: One day...

(dead) Will o Wisp: This was a nice one. Bull Rush usually shows up too late for Wisps, but it is great on them. :D

(dead) Asrai: This was also a nice one. :( Mean Anomaly is apparently mean. By the by, I wonder if anyone will ever try a Frostbite build. :D

(dead) Profane Pug: Freybugs with magic attacks are pretty great. :D I found one with Void Touch and Witch's Mien (apply Hex when dealing dark damage to debuffed targets) on my snowman run that was... very mean to things. :) (Void Touch does count as damage, even though it attacks MaxHP.)
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:48 pm

During recruitment, Ruhin wanted to learn Dreamstalker and Yellow Whisper, and after insulting it TWICE with
'only if you join me now' I wasn't about to argue any further about its tactical decisions.

Yeah, I don't always go as depth into my own mental image of my demons lest this thread degenerate into saucy fanfiction about Affectionate Lilim :lol: , but a Magma Elemental is pretty much exactly what I imagined the Gi was. Also I laughed at 'Chihuahuagoth,' that's another demon whose mental image amuses me greatly. I just hope it recovers in time. I do like the idea of rare high level encounters.

I don't think I ran into any Aithir, no, but I haven't completed Anomaly 3 yet, so assuming Madevra doesn't chase me out I may yet find one. Anyway, back into the fray!
wizzzargh

Postby wizzzargh » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:25 am

Welp, I died. I found the Cynocephalus unique and decided to try his link, figuring the 'Demon' would appear once I did, since I only saw bandits nearby and hey, the game IS about summoning demons, right? Turns out the 'Demon' Moredcai was actually just around the corner, and I got Panicked, got bad rolls trying to use a Pure Stone to heal it, and both me and the demons I had out got stunlocked to death by the various charging bandit scum. Naturally there were some other actions mixed in there, like me trying to Dash out, and I think perhaps I could have escaped if I had abandoned my(no longer snowball-sized) Shoggoth to die along with my Akateko and Aithir, and also perhaps used a Wind Card or two. Also, like many of my deaths, I bet I would have survived if I had been walking around with a safer party composition, notably my Healer/Calm Lilim. Being a healer myself I was having a fine time without having another healer summoned most of the time, but I think having a Calm/Healer demon summoned at all times is insurance you might not want to be without in the later dungeons- sure, you might want to swap it out a lot when you realize you may not need it, but if the alternative is potentially autoexploring into a bunch of Atua or something like this, well... I had my Charged Aithir (from the Anomaly summoner) and an Akateko that had learned lightning skils from said Aithir, and Headless sluggishly following behind (no Swiftness for him!). The Aithir and Akateko both died in the initial terrifying/stunlocking roar/charge mess so you'll have to scroll down if you care to admire their impressive AoE capability.

Twilight would be a really cool ability I think, but since I was usually rolling around with something like 115 maxHP being under 50% health was too rare for me to really go for it. Also, I had slowly lost a lot of my debuffing, so I found myself using Blight less frequently, and so I ended up getting Bolt Chain, realizing the Charged Aithir couldnt actually teach me Emit Sparks, then ditching that in favor of Lifegiver. Affection felt very powerful, but I think my high Magic and lifedraining (and decent Vitality) was the perfect synergy for it, after all. I lost all my maxHP doing a pointless autoexplore, which sucked, but I can't imagine a way to make sure mxHP draining abilities can't be cheesed without making the return rate time-based.

I actually spaced out and missed Turdak's Sanctum completely, and basically all my demons were just itching to train someone with 1 or 2 training points lying around- but I didn't really want to recruit anything I found! I did some quick recruitments of a Hailetik for Bolt Chain and a Psychic Ogre for Pink Whisper, but once I got my Akateko I just had nobody to train in anything. I finally found a single silver matrix, but at that point I didn't really want to sacrifice anything. Maybe roll Headless and the Ghoul together, or fix the Shoggoth's mind weakness with my Lilim.

Overall I thought this was a very interesting run. I think Snowball the Shoggoth was my favorite demon for sure, but I had a lot of neat dudes this game. I think next I'll go see what elicited that foreboding response when I mentioned the Chaos link...

Demon Party Dump File
Version 1/1/2016, Scoring Model: 1/1/2016
Dump file created at: 01/02/2016 23:47:58

Summoner Emberblight...
was chosen by the Vodun Mask,
selected Fire and Dark as their starting elements,
is currently at Tower:12,
and is quite dead!

Name : Emberblight
Level: 14
MaxHP: 94

Magic   : 62
Vitality: 30
Agility : 4
Cunning : 20

Resist: Fire

Abilities Known:
1) Vigorous (Type: None, Passive. Increases SP regeneration by 50%.)
2) Vigor Siphon (Type: Dark, 30 SP. 70 Power attack, split between HP and MaxHP damage. 66% of the MaxHP damage is drained to the user as bonus MaxHP. Cannot miss.)
3) Blight (Type: Dark, 20 SP. Must be used on a target with one or more negative status effects. 62 Power attack, plus 8 Power per negative status effect on the target. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Dark (3))
6) Lifegiver (Type: Healing, Passive. Reduces the SP cost of Healing abilities by 5, to a minimum of 0.)
8) Dash (Type: None, 20 SP. Move to the target position instantly. Cooldown: Charge (8))

Inventory:
2 Night rune
4 Bolt rune
1 Venom rune
1 Heart rune
1 Frost rune
2 Pain rune
4 Chakra gem
3 Pure stone
2 Heal gem
3 Trouble chime
2 Pure gem
1 Curse rune
1 Peace offering
2 Sage's tome
2 Silver offering
6 Heal stone
1 Flame rune
1 Silver matrix
3 Student's tome
1 Chakra stone
1 Wind card

MaxHP: 85

Strength: 26
Vitality: 43
Agility : 14
Cunning : 14

Abilities Known:
1) Daring Cut (Type: Slash, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Briefly increases your or a nearby ally's offense by 25%.)
5) Accursed (Type: Dark, Passive. Provides a 35% chance for your Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks to apply Pariah, causing the target's allies to take damage when the target does (excluding reactions).)
6) Stone Stance (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 15% chance to block Slash, Impact, Pierce, Fire, Ice, and Electricity attacks if your last action was not movement.)
7) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
8) Pink Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to cause Charm, turning the target against its allies. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))

Name : Ghoul
MaxHP: 79

Strength: 29
Vitality: 27
Agility : 29

Weak  : Fire Mind Light

Abilities Known:
1) Numbing Bite (Type: Pierce, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 35% chance to inflict Paralysis, causing the target to frequently miss their turns.)
3) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
6) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
8) Diehard (Type: Defense, Passive. Prevents death, except by Ignite or Poison damage. May trigger an Endure cooldown when activated (more damage dealt = higher chance). Cooldown: Endure (5))

Name : Lilim
Level: 13
MaxHP: 70

Magic   : 28
Vitality: 18
Agility : 30
Cunning : 30

Weak  : Ice Light

Abilities Known:
1) Blue Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to cause Sleep, preventing the target from acting for several turns or until damaged. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
2) Leech Touch (Type: Body, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt.)
3) Dreamstalker (Type: Mind, Passive. Your attacks deal 50% more damage to and do not wake up Sleeping targets that have full HP.)
4) Charisma (Type: Mind, Passive. Presence cooldown recovers 30% faster when your HP are at more than 50% of maximum.)
5) Stone Stance (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 15% chance to block Slash, Impact, Pierce, Fire, Ice, and Electricity attacks if your last action was not movement.)
6) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
8) Lifegiver (Type: Healing, Passive. Reduces the SP cost of Healing abilities by 5, to a minimum of 0.)

Name : Solid Gi
Level: 12
MaxHP: 100

Strength: 25
Vitality: 64
Agility : 7

Immune: Electricity
Resist: Slash Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Stunning Blow (Type: Impact, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 35% chance to inflict Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn.)
2) Stone Stance (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 15% chance to block Slash, Impact, Pierce, Fire, Ice, and Electricity attacks if your last action was not movement.)
3) Block Physical (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 20% chance to block Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks.)
4) Mob Cover (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 15% chance to dodge attacks when adjacent to an enemy other than the attacker.)
5) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
6) Fiery Veil (Type: Fire, Reactive. Responds to damage dealt to you by adjacent characters with a 20 Power attack that has a 13% chance to Ignite the target, causing damage over a short duration. Cannot miss.)
7) Bask (Type: Fire, 0 SP. Must target an Ignited enemy. No effect on the target, but triggers a 60 Power heal on and restores 10 SP for the user. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (3))
8) Pink Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to cause Charm, turning the target against its allies. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))

Name : Snowball (Shoggoth)
Level: 19
MaxHP: 96

Strength: 35
Magic   : 11
Vitality: 44
Agility : 26
Cunning : 29

Resist: Impact Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Healing Factor (Type: Healing, Reactive. Bestows Regeneration when an attack reduces your health to 50% or less, restoring health over time. Cooldown: Factor (1))
2) Eat Alive (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 100 Power attack. 50% accuracy. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt (affected by Body resistance).)
3) Dazzling Veil (Type: Mind, Reactive. 20% chance to Stun adjacent characters that deal damage to you, causing them to miss their next turn.)
4) Blue Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to cause Sleep, preventing the target from acting for several turns or until damaged. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
5) Dreamstalker (Type: Mind, Passive. Your attacks deal 50% more damage to and do not wake up Sleeping targets that have full HP.)
6) Stone Stance (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 15% chance to block Slash, Impact, Pierce, Fire, Ice, and Electricity attacks if your last action was not movement.)
7) Mob Cover (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 15% chance to dodge attacks when adjacent to an enemy other than the attacker.)

Name : Holy Nero
Level: 12
MaxHP: 77

Strength: 10
Magic   : 38
Vitality: 27
Agility : 14

Resist: Fire Ice Light
Weak  : Body Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Affection (Type: Healing, 25 SP. 60-150 Power heal, based on your remaining HP (more HP = higher Power).)
2) Regenerate (Type: Healing, 25 SP. Bestows Regeneration, restoring health over time.)
3) Cleanse (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Poison, Infection, and Paralysis.)
4) Lifegiver (Type: Healing, Passive. Reduces the SP cost of Healing abilities by 5, to a minimum of 0.)
5) Light Dart (Type: Light, 20 SP. 70 Power attack. Harmlessly passes through non-enemy targets in its line of fire.)
6) Humble (Type: Light, 20 SP. Must target a character whose HP is more than 50% of their maximum. 70 Power attack. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Light (3))
7) Emit Sparks (Type: Electricity, 20 SP. Targets up to 3 random enemies. 70 Power attack. Has a 10% chance to inflict Shock, causing the targets to miss their next turn. 70% chance to hit, unaffected by accuracy and evasion.)

--==== Recently Slain Allies ===--

Name : Echeneis
Level: 1
MaxHP: 35

Strength: 8
Magic   : 13
Agility : 11

Abilities Known:
1) Chilling Touch (Type: Ice, 5 SP. 70 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
2) Deep Chill (Type: Ice, Passive. Increases the duration of your Chill effects by 3 turns.)
3) Headwind (Type: Ice, Passive. Ice attacks delay the next turn of targets that moved during their previous turn.)
4) ------------
5) ------------

Name : Brutal Will o' wisp
MaxHP: 50

Cunning : 15

Resist: Slash Impact Pierce
Weak  : Electricity Light Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Ghost Pierce (Type: Pierce, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Moves you to different, randomly selected, position adjacent to the target.)
2) Evade Step (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 25% chance to dodge attacks when your last action was movement or a movement ability.)
5) Bull Rush (Type: Impact, 10 SP. Must target a character. Charge to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
6) Reshape (Type: Healing, 0 SP. Removes all negative status effects, then applies a 125 Power heal. Free action. Cooldown: Endure (5))
7) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)

Name : Psychic Asrai
Level: 4
MaxHP: 43

Vitality: 5

Immune: Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Freezing Touch (Type: Ice, 10 SP. 85 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
2) Frost Dart (Type: Ice, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Chills the target, reducing their accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%.)
3) Arctic Veil (Type: Ice, Reactive. Responds to damage dealt to you by adjacent characters with a 20 Power attack that inflicts Chill, reducing the target's accuracy, evasion, and movement speed by 12%. Cannot miss.)
4) Frostbite (Type: Ice, Passive. Your Ice attacks also reduce the target's SP by 5.)
5) Hypnotic Gaze (Type: Mind, 25 SP. 65% chance to inflict Sleep, preventing the target from acting for several turns or until damaged. Cooldown: Presence (10))
6) Mind Spike (Type: Mind, 10 SP. 40 Power attack. Cannot miss.)
7) Tireless (Type: None, Passive. Increases MaxSP by 25.)
8) ------------

Name : Profane Freybug
MaxHP: 48

Cunning : 27

Abilities Known:
1) Hinder (Type: Debuff, 15 SP. 70% chance to reduce evasion by 20%.)
2) Swiftness (Type: None, Passive. Reduces the turn cost of movement and movement abilities by 20%.)
3) Low Profile (Type: Defense, Passive. Always dodge projectiles fired by allies unless directly targeted.)
5) Vigor Siphon (Type: Dark, 30 SP. 70 Power attack, split between HP and MaxHP damage. 66% of the MaxHP damage is drained to the user as bonus MaxHP. Cannot miss.)
6) Cull (Type: Dark, 20 SP. Must target a character whose HP is 50% or less of their maximum. 70 Power attack. Cannot miss. Cooldown: Dark (3))
8) ------------

Name : Zar
MaxHP: 47

Strength: 13
Magic   : 16
Agility : 19

Abilities Known:
1) Feral Claw (Type: Slash, 5 SP. 70 Power attack.)
2) Calm (Type: Healing, 15 SP. Removes Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm.)
3) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
4) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
5) ------------
6) ------------
7) ------------
8) ------------

Name : Gremlin
MaxHP: 39

Weak  : Body

Abilities Known:
1) Focusbreaker (Type: Impact, 10 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 50% chance to reduce accuracy by 20%.)
2) Yellow Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to inflict Panic, causing the target's actions to sometimes be randomized. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
5) ------------
6) ------------

Name : Charged Aithir
Level: 13
MaxHP: 71

Strength: 7
Magic   : 43
Cunning : 29

Immune: Body Light Dark
Weak  : Fire Ice

Abilities Known:
1) Twilight (Type: None, Passive. When your HP is 50% or less of your maximum, reduces the SP cost of Light and Dark abilities by 15 (to a minimum of 0), and you ignore and no longer receive Light and Dark cooldowns.)
2) Shock Dart (Type: Electricity, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 10% chance to inflict Shock, causing the target to miss their next turn.)
3) Electrocute (Type: Electricity, 10 SP. 85 Power attack. Has a 12% chance to inflict Shock, causing the target to miss their next turn.)
4) Emit Sparks (Type: Electricity, 20 SP. Targets up to 3 random enemies. 70 Power attack. Has a 10% chance to inflict Shock, causing the targets to miss their next turn. 70% chance to hit, unaffected by accuracy and evasion.)
5) Draw Wounds (Type: Healing, 0 SP. 105 Power heal. Costs HP equal to the amount healed. Healing and HP cost are limited to what will not kill the user and what the target needs to reach maximum. Free action. Cooldown: Cantrip (1))
6) Bolt Chain (Type: Electricity, Passive. Shocking a target also inflicts a 55 Power attack on and has an 8% chance to Shock an adjacent enemy. Shock applied by Bolt Chain cannot trigger Bolt Chain.)
8) Tormentor (Type: None, Passive. Restores 5 SP when you deal damage to one or more characters that have negative status effects.)

Name : Akateko
MaxHP: 62

Magic   : 37
Vitality: 24
Agility : 36
Cunning : 14

Resist: Dark

Abilities Known:
1) Vampiric Touch (Type: Body, 15 SP. 85 Power attack. Heals the user for 50% if the damage dealt.)
2) Wraith Touch (Type: Dark, 15 SP. 70 Power attack, split between HP and MaxHP damage. 66% of the MaxHP damage is drained to the user as bonus MaxHP.)
3) Evade Step (Type: Defense, Passive. Gain a 25% chance to dodge attacks when your last action was movement or a movement ability.)
4) Pink Whisper (Type: Mind, 20 SP. 65% chance to cause Charm, turning the target against its allies. Free action. Cooldown: Presence (8))
5) Emit Sparks (Type: Electricity, 20 SP. Targets up to 3 random enemies. 70 Power attack. Has a 10% chance to inflict Shock, causing the targets to miss their next turn. 70% chance to hit, unaffected by accuracy and evasion.)
6) Bolt Chain (Type: Electricity, Passive. Shocking a target also inflicts a 55 Power attack on and has an 8% chance to Shock an adjacent enemy. Shock applied by Bolt Chain cannot trigger Bolt Chain.)
8) ------------

wizzzargh

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion