Matter Build Testing

The tower awaits!

Re: Matter Build Testing

Postby Ferret » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Good news! I found a Wild Frenzy bug!

Bad news: it's not the ones we were looking for. Apparently its been doing 70 Power attacks all this time instead of 33 Power attacks. No wonder everyone loves it so much :P
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Got a repro on Wild Frenzy hitting something more than 3 times. :D
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:45 pm

HOLY CRAP! I found the Wild Frenzy bug! The real one I mean!

So, what was the missing component all this time from all the reporting repro cases?

It only happens if you have an active kill command! :D And why? Because hitting something you don't have an active kill command on evaluates to 0... even if it should evaluate lower. :( Like say, hitting an ally...

I want to thank everyone who reported this bug over the months: we finally manage to find it. :D Extra thanks for wiz (who provided a ton of data on it) and extra thanks for joe (who provided a save file with a 100% repro case!)
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Nice, so that means demons with wild frenzy will never use it if they can potentially hurt allies? Was wild combo unintentionally doing double damage as well?
What is your general rule on whether passive ability should get disabled by control status effects or not? I don't quite get it with bolt chain: why things like thunderous, headwind, firestarter don't get disabled then? Just want to know so I won't spam this thread with similar false reports.
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:48 pm

Yes, Wild Frenzy should now no longer be used if it has any chance of hittng an ally. :D

Wild Combo was correctly using 33 Power, not 70, so no change there.

Unfortunately, it's not much of a rule... generally speaking, if the passive requires some kind of active control/focus/effort, it should probably be disabled. I admit that this "rule" isn't going to lead to very predictable results since that's a bit subjective. :P

I wouldn't worry about spamming the thread with false reports, on this or any other issue: I'd rather have to say "not a bug" 50 times than say "gee I wish somebody'd mentioned that" once. :D
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:50 pm

Ooof. The Polar Rush/Charge thing might be pretty bad... AI seems to have considerable trouble evaluating it since it hits things not included in its initial target area. I joked about having to rewrite Wild Frenzy to fix the bugs, but I might actually have to for this one.
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Yeah, I think that's what I have to do for now unfortunately: the Chill effect is now single target like the rest of the ability. I did reduce their cooldowns 1 turn each to compensate. Getting them to work properly as they are is more a revamp than I want to undertake this close to a major release.
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:13 am

It's not very satisfying, but you do get a warning now when using Vapor abilities on Matter-immune allies. The warning is unfortunately a very vague "something is bad about this plan but I don't know what" kind of warning, since the only way I was able to catch a weird case like this was by making a stop-gap last-ditch "does the AI think this is a bad idea?" query. (The player confirmation code doesn't use the AI normally, because whereas the AI was designed only to be concerned with coming up with an evaluation value, for player confirmations it is important to know *why* something is bad so I can tell the player; just knowing it is bad is not enough. Unfortunately, there are some differences between how the confirmation code and the AI run that make Vapors a "blind spot" that would be tricky to address without an ugly special case, so for now, this is what we've got.)
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:54 pm

Using Yank...
Aim within the possible target area using
movement keys. Press Enter to execute,
Escape to cancel.
Nevermind then.
MegaBlight inspires the gorgon.
The gorgon leaps into action!
The gorgon inspires MegaBlight.
MegaBlight leaps into action!
MegaBlight gestures at the gorgon.
The gorgon's power returns to normal.
Your raiju psi-blasts the gorgon.
The gorgon falls asleep!
Your ruler smites MegaBlight.
It's super effective!
MegaBlight falls silent!

"You go first, no you go first, no you, no you, no you..."
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:47 am

Huh. I thought I had it where I wouldn't happen, but I'll look again. :) Thanks!
Ferret

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion