Emit attacks and touch spells

The tower awaits!

Emit attacks and touch spells

Postby Elysium » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:14 am

This is the problem with making melee Magic characters: while the touch attacks are extremely powerful and have a variety of useful effects, the problem arises that magic characters have less defenses against demons that rely on pure physical damage, and tend to get destroyed in short order due to their lower Strength stat. Due to their starting Strength of four, the Orb of Power (also physical weakness), Divine Heart, and Hand of Dead have lower defenses in melee. Is there an effective way I can remedy this without great use of ability slots or sinking my first points into Strength?
Elysium

Re: Emit attacks and touch spells

Postby oneeyedjoe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:58 am

Hand of the dead usually has pretty high vitality from the start, so in the early game it shouldn't be a problem. But if you are not going to invest in strength/vitality I recommend using passive defensive abilities like malleable, last defense, die hard etc. If you are going for dark/body touches, gluttony and oppressor are also pretty good. Glacial shell is another pretty good one, and if you have arctic veil to go along with it, every time when you get hit your ice cooldown gets reduced by 1.
Faithful heart has 4 agility from the start no matter what you pick so if you don't want to raise that stat from the bottom use emits and magic breath attacks. For emits I like to have miens, usually angel's and reaper's. King's mien also can help with survivability.
And orb of power is simply not very suitable for melee until you get soul armor, then same rules as for hand of the dead apply.
So if you don't want to be squishy you have to invest into something. But if you absolutely do not want to dedicate 2-3 slots to defensive abilities at the very least you can teach your allies off down, def up and give healing abilities to everyone with decent magic stat. And of course soul armor exists too, but physical resistances usually make your maxhp pool pretty small.
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:08 am

I'd especially second the Body/Dark touches, especially Dark. The bonus MaxHP you can gather up using Dark touches gives you a form of defense Strength-based characters don't have an easy way to get, and it's built into an attack.

... I hadn't thought of Arctic Veil + Glacial Shell myself, but that's pretty awesome. :D (I probably say this literally every time this happens, but I *love* that this happens. :D )
Ferret

Postby Saler » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:54 pm

I actualy made a melee Orb of Power build and, I belive, won. I used Transpose soul to get Icy Shield, Icy Shroud, Block Physical, Triad Ward and Stone Stance. The block chance was so high, my enemies prioritized Python (a rather tanky Unique) over me.
Dash also help a lot. That manuverability helps you to position yourself and retreart if things get ugly. Short Jaunt could also maybe work, but I, personaly, wouldn't rely on it.
Since Healing runs of Magic, Reshape, Restore, Flash Heal and, if you are using Fire, Pyre Rite could help a lot. Will probably want to have some other defensive support in addition to that, hovever.
If you use Ice, you could probably get away with getting 3 Mag and 2 Vit per Level Up, iggnoring Agility, as long as you have EVD down, ACC up and some Passives like Mind Reader to help you.
DEF up and OFF down can also help a lot.
Ferret wrote:It's funny because I mostly intended them to be a support unit: the one attack and the high Strength were more a nod to them being bears than anything else. :D
Saler

Return to General Discussion