Eye of the Dragon Build

The tower awaits!

Eye of the Dragon Build

Postby Longchamps » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:19 pm

I have tried different builds for different relics, and have been able to get relatively far with all, of them (even if I have enver won) except with Eye of the Dragon, which sucks because its one of my favorites. I love the idea of a magic/physical hybrid, but it never manages to get good enough. I focus on both Strenght and Magic, so i end with a melee glass cannon that can never manage to hit hard enough. In the end I end up with a character that doesnt have enough Oomph to kill strong demons, lacks survability and fights in close quarters.
How do I solve this? Is there an specific direction I should be building my characters? Different tactics? Its frustrating to keep losing with this one since it turns out to be my favorite strategy right after a Mind controlling Vodun Mask.
Longchamps

Re: Eye of the Dragon Build

Postby greattuna » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Well, there's always this one way to get your build more survivable: stack defensive abilities. Last Defense\Glacial Shell\DEF Up goes a long way to make your dragon die less!

It's probably a bad idea to concentrate on damage in hybrid attacks: since they depend on two stats, you won't get that much increase even if you wanted to. Instead, force your foes to fight battles of attrition: your attacks are cheaper than 'pure' physical or magical attacks, so your SP will last longer. Add a bit healing, SP recovery (say it with me! tor-men-tor) and defense, and you should be an hard-to-stop machine that slowly wears opponents down. Of course, keep your demons diverse, so they would cover your gaps. If you lack damage, spread OFF Up around! Want to disable enemies -> alluring veil is your friend! etc. etc.

Ooooor you could concentrate on your breath, add second wind, dragon soul and unconquerable and go to town with your nuke. Never tried this myself, but you can.
greattuna

Postby geminimax » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:44 pm

One thing that I realized after a lot of experimentation is that an equal spread of magic and strength is almost never a good idea. Each Eye element requires very different builds, and in most of them you'll be better off if you focus on 1 or 2 stats.

For example, I think fire is great for a fire/guilt sustain build with heavy investment in strength, some agility and maybe cunning. Ice dragon is the one I consider the strongest and it's probably the most flexible one. The easy access to chill allows you to put your points in somewhere else other than agility, and Avalanche is just a really powerful ability.

Unfortunately, breath attacks aren't that strong now that they took a heavy nerf to damage and can now miss(damn it Ferret stop nerfing fun stuff!), but they're useful tools in the early game. If you are going for a magic dragon there are a lot of powerful AoE possibilities, you could for example combine the draining breath(the best one in my opinion) with Agony and Sadist's Mien for a very powerful burst attacker with great sustain. Since you'll be a frontliner in most of the Eye builds, Martyr is also a very interesting ability to consider.
geminimax

Postby Ferret » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi Longchamps, and welcome to the forum. :D

Greatuna and Geminimax both have good points here: there are passives you can pick up that help your survivability, but it's also true that each dragon Primary element is suggestive of a different sort of build.

Hmph. :P "Nerf". Yeah, I don't deny they do less damage than they used to: that's true of almost all AEs though, AE nuking used to be a bit toooo nasty. But re: breath weapons, they're also much cheaper SP/cooldown wise than they used to be, so it was more of a shift than a nerf, in the case of breath weapons.

Still.. breath weapons probably could stand to be a bit more impressive... hmm...
Ferret

Return to General Discussion