Favorite Relic?

The tower awaits!

Favorite Relic?

Postby Elysium » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:07 am

So what is your favorite summoner relic so far? One of my favorite aspects about Demon is the almost infinite number of playstyles and demons you could roll to win, but I still find myself drifting toward one or two relics, most usually the Hand of the Dead, but also the Titan's Fist sometimes. I just find melee combat more engaging than ranged in most games because my character is right in the action, steamrolling ranged characters with weak melee game, but it also serves well to keep mobile and cautious of placement. So what is your preferred relic and/or playstyle?

Also for Master Ferret, is there any chance at all you might add more relics and relic commands in the future? My thoughts are that it might eliminate the problem of overpowered starting abilities by creating more starting diversity, but that's just my two cents. Can't wait for the matter update!

Oh yeah, and screw Turdak and his stupid Sanctum. I died there for the third time because I never learn. :twisted:
Elysium

Re: Favorite Relic?

Postby Ferret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 am

More relics is probably a certainty at some point. :D

Not sure what you mean by relic commands though?
Ferret

Postby 2tousent » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:44 am

"it might eliminate the problem of overpowered starting abilities by creating more starting diversity"

That would probably make new good stuff and overshadow the bad things even more >.>

Either way, i prefer utility over raw damage, so i like Faithful Heart for stuff like pyre rite and Voodun Mask for dirty needles and the sort.

If you also care about least favorite, it's probably Crown of Glory and the Eye... The former because i feel like i don't have much control as it only deals generic slash damage and bufs whatever, and the latter because i don't like the breath attacks and going melee with magic just seems to take too many stats so i can't decide what to ignore and what not to ignore...

Wich sucks because those have some of my favorite relic upgrades innately...
2tousent

Postby wizzzargh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:21 am

Hand of the Dead. Recycle is my go-to 'make me filthy rich' upgrade, and it's just so satisfying to get extra rewards from corpse encounters. Their starting abilities are good but not irreplaceable, so it's satisfying to change up the character based on early random skills.

Orb of powers starting abilities are so good they take away excitement from finding stuff early... so I only play it if I have a very specific idea of "I'm gonna play THIS build."

Titan's Fist is fun because early Soul Armor is fun. Fusion discounts can't compare to Recycle, but fusion is also fun.

Eye of the Dragon is cool because breaths, but SEPI just makes me wish I had Recycle.

I just don't do well with faithful heart, probably because it has a tempting "blow your money on this" button that then demands even MORE money if you get a skill you want to pass around, but no actual money income. So I end up with, like, an overspecialized Raiju and no money and no idea what to do with Nightingale if I don't also have Quick Dismiss.

Crown of Glory is weird because it makes me want to level ALL the stats and also focus on the exotic starting melee skills, but usually I end up feeling like I'd rather have Might+Fierce Stab than Daring Cut and similar (Early Witch cut and Knockout are admittedly rad). Also having Quick dismiss+quick summon feels like cheating.

Least favorite is probably vodun mask, though before relic upgrades, it was one of my favorites back in the day when their exotic skills were still amazing to play with. Their upgrades reduce the thrill of exploring into darkness and playing with corpses, so my gamblers soul gets a little bored playing them.

Also I'd say 'One day you'll learn' but honestly I still sometimes get skeleboned by Turdak(or even awful Zar/Atua disasters) and I've been playing for years so. Screw Turdak indeed! :lol:
wizzzargh

Postby greattuna » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 pm

Honesty, if there was a relic which included Enemy Lure as a starting ability, I'd use it sooooo much. But, alas...

Among the existing relics though I'd call Titan's Fist as my favorite. It's so, so to say, simple, little bothering with resistances or composition or anything, just go and punch\impale\slice\hammer\etc., plus it's fun, plus huge amount of physical-related skills and passives allow variety (status punch? or lifesteal punch? or...). In-built soul armor is cool too, and fusion saver allows my demons to join in the fun too.

The least favorite relic would be vodun mask, with eye of the dragon coming in close. Vodun's skills are just... there. Far Summon is very situational, and enemy radar is bleh, since there's little gain in avoiding enemies. Eye of the dragon is cool and dragons and breaths that I inevitably replace, but abilities are, again, lackluster. Oh yey, some credits after exploring a level. Oh yey, corpses can grant a second item. :| After seeing recycle in action, SEPI doesn't impress me anymore.
greattuna

Postby oneeyedjoe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:17 pm

Huh, I had one idea about new concept of a relic. It would be attached to the waist of the user and act as an infinite pocket (basically a corset with a bunch of pockets I guess :D ). It seeks those who are obsessed with collecting rare thing in great quantities. Starting relic upgrades are enemy lure and capacity up :) As for abilities, it could be another melee mage build with elemental touches/emit spells/hybrid attacks.

From current relics hand of the dead and crown of glory are my favorites, mostly because of starting relic upgrades. And high-fiving everything to death as hand of the dead user is always fun.
oneeyedjoe

Postby Elysium » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:26 pm

We seem to be doing least favorite relics too, so I'll put in my own. With a game like Demon, I mean this as less of criticism and more of preference. :)

For me, Orb of Power just doesn't... click. It's a ranged relic to start out, and its abilities are all so ridiculous that it's hard to part with them when I'm getting up there in credits and good demons. Plus, with the weakness to physical, it's not all that survivable, though there may be a way to mitigate that problem using passive abilities like Blocks or Frost Armor.
I like the idea behind Eye of the Dragon as a balanced-stats character that uses hybrid abilities and breaths, but again... this relic seems to be lacking in damage output to start with, which kind of puts me off. Breaths have great range and starting power, but outside of Dragon Soul, which is a somewhat rare ability, they seem to be somewhat weak as the fight goes on, and I can never seem to justify their use above 2-tile cone attacks like Chilling Blast, which doesn't have a cooldown or damage dropoff. Maybe I'm just not using them correctly or in the right situation?

And I feel like the topic of new relic concepts should be relegated to another sub-forum like Feedback and Suggestions, but I just can't help myself. :D I would like to see maybe a set of angel/demon wings (mechanized?) that grafts itself to the Summoner's back, or a set of Rinnegan-like eyes to complement the Eye of the Dragon. The relic possibilities are endless!
Elysium

Return to General Discussion