Random questions/small oversight reports.

The tower awaits!

Random questions/small oversight reports.

Postby oneeyedjoe » Thu May 04, 2017 11:55 pm

After playing Demon for a couple of months now I have accumulated some random questions that don't deserve threads on their own, so I'll pile them up here.
1. The description of Hex says that it reduces physical resistance down one level, but not immunity, even though there are no demons who have physical immunity, what's the deal with that?

2. All free basic 55 power attacks are either pierce, impact or slash damage type. You'd think that living manifestation of fire or flesh freezing water spirit would be able to scorch/freeze their enemies even if they are completely tired but no, punching is the only option. Balance reasons?

3. Why did you pair elemental and physical attacks into mixed attacks like you did? (derpy wording is derpy) I mean fire-slash does make sense, but why impact-ice and electricity-pierce? Wouldn't ice-pierce make more sense simply because... well... icicles? They are kinda sharp and stuff :D. And electricity-impact because Thor. That's my reasoning, anyway :lol: .

4. Following up the last question, why hail shot is even a thing? I couldn't find any use for it, regular frost dart is simply better. Or if I am missing some secret awesomeness of the hail shot, then why fire-slash and electricity-pierce don't have range purely magical attack?

5. Why do weak to mind Shoggoths have mindbender modifier?

6. What are the chances of encountering enemy summoner/hero? I feel like I fight Madevra in every run, but Zaji only in 1/3 runs. Out of recent ~10 runs where I got far enough I fought Jayle in ~9 of them, at the same time Breska showed up only once. Still haven't seen new hero and summoner too.
- Among the new cadre are a few figures of note: two
demons capable of forming Sanctums, a morose looking Hero,
and a bold, cunning, and quite deadly Summoner with no
tolerance for rivals.
- Patchnotes

7. Mending counts as a negative effect and procs things like tormentor and blight. Oversight of intended mechanic?

8. Baba Yaga uses tier 1 energy drain spell.

9. Can maxHP damage from void touch and miasma burst wake up sleeping enemies? Also maxHP damaging attacks like vigor siphon proc tormentor only once - when they deal regular HP damage. So I am guessing maxHP damage thing acts a bit different. I wanted to try really nasty build with innocence/dreamstalker/blue wisper and void touch but I need to be sure how maxHP damage mechanic works.

That's all for now.
oneeyedjoe

Re: Random questions/small oversight reports.

Postby Ferret » Fri May 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Sure sure. :D

1. Mostly, if I put in a physical immune, I don't want to have to remember to go change all the descriptions of Hex :D

2. Yeah, balance reasons basically. :) If I ever did relent and give them magic basic attacks, they'd probably be 40 Power.

3. Mostly, I just picked the ones I liked, though I agree I probably made Thor sad. When the time comes, I might give him an Impact/Elec regardless simply because he's Thor and gets to be awesome? :D

4. Hail Shot has an important difference from the Ice/Impact melee attacks: it uses Magic for both components of the damage. Thus, an Ice wizard can use it to effectively bypass 50% of the target's Ice resistance since 50% of the attack is Impact, but still uses Magic.

5. In Lovecraft's stories, Shoggoths were a race of shapeshifters created by the Elder Things, a race of highly advanced extraterrestrials. The Elder Things controlled them via hypnotic suggestion (hence weak to Mind), but over the intervening millions of years, Shoggoths developed the ability to resist and eventually rebelled. The rebellion was not initially successful, but overtime the Elder Thing race felt into degeneracy as the Shoggoths continued to evolve, eventually coming to imitate their former masters (hence the fusion option of Mindbender.) And no, it's not always this involved an answer for why X has Y, though it often may be in cases where it seems odd, like these guys :)

6. Relatively high generally, but it depends on the number of uniques running around in that region of the dungeon. The more uniques, the less likely seeing any given one is. Hence: Zaji is relatively rare (there are a bucket full of very low level uniques now), but Maddie relatively more common (by her point in the dungeon, uniques are at roughly their normal quantity). It's far from assured you'll see any given one though.

7. Mending is technically a negative effect: it prevents a small subclass of healing spells from being used on you. This is intended.

8. The Tier 1 energy drain is actually the best for restoring your own SP. It can give you back up to 6.66 while costing 0. Tier 2 gives you back up to 10, but costs 5, and Tier 3 gives you back up to 13.33 but costs 10. (So why use Tier 2 and 3 at all? Because they're better for denying the enemy SP.)

9. MaxHP damage will wake up sleeping targets.
Ferret

Postby LuckyLuckLuc » Sat May 06, 2017 2:13 am

Another note on #4 and what makes hybrid attacks strong, is that it does 2 instances of damage and can proc stuff twice such as tormentor and guilt.
Hail shot + tormentor is a very cheap attack that doesn't need to combo a debuff.
LuckyLuckLuc

Postby oneeyedjoe » Sat May 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks for answers (and for making this great game).
Just to clarify #6 - it works in both ways right? If I will meet all heroes and summoners, I will have a good chance to miss out on some uniques?
On #4 yes I know that it uses magic for impact damage, it also costs 5 more SP than regular ice dart, so it isn't more efficient.
Ferret wrote:Thus, an Ice wizard can use it to effectively bypass 50% of the target's Ice resistance since 50% of the attack is Impact, but still uses Magic.

You see, that's the problem. In Demon things like that don't really work. It's unwise to go full on only 1 element, because then some packs of enemies will render your summoner useless. But if you dedicate one of your demons to 1 type of damage then it's not big of a deal if you meet a pack who is resistant to his element, you just unsummon him and summon different one. It's not worth to keep your ice demon in a fight against a pack of Bmola's just because he has hail shot. And impact damage is what, only 35 power? So if you fight a weak to impact foe (who are very rare btw, and hex applying abilities are rather rare too) you will gain a very small (+25% dmg after the last update) bonus to your 35 power attack, whoop dee flipping doo. But wouldn't you rather use your melee demon to deal with that situation more efficiently? The only excuse I can think of is that since hail shot does partially physical damage passives like infectious, terrifying, crusader, etc should work with it. But cunning is the second least needed stat for ice wizards... :( (also I am not sure if that even works that way because description says that hail shot is an ice attack)
Also there are no 85 and 100 power hail shots.

Sorry for that wall of text. :(
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Sat May 06, 2017 3:29 pm

No problem. :) I'm glad you're enjoying playing. :D

Re: 6 It does work both ways. To clarify, it is possible to meet all of them in a game too. It might be easier to think of it this way: each time something spawns, there is a N% chance it will be a "unique group" spawn... but N is constant no matter how many unique groups there are. So, if there is a single possible unique group, your chance of getting it to spawn = N (since it will be picked every time, being the only group.) But if there are three possible unique groups, your chance of getting any given one to spawn is now N/3. You could still get all three, if N% manages to happen 3 times, but yeah, it's definitely unlikely for that to happen.

Yeah, those passives don't work w/ Hail Shot, since it is Ice type. In fact, Hail Shot will not work on an Ice immune at all, not even the Impact half. :P It's meant more for dealing with Ice-resistant targets rather than Ice-immunes.

Even for resistants, it's quite possibly better to go ahead and just use a different element as you suggest, but there are some reasons out there you may not want to, particularly in Ice's case, where it has a large number of defense passives tied to using Ice abilities, and also the Chill effect, which always works on non-immune targets and is as good as slapping 1/2 of ACC Down and EVD Down on a target if you keep it hosed down.
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Sat May 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Ok, I am sort of convinced now. If you don't want to lose your +25% defense/25% chance of blocking elemental attacks, etc while fighting ice enemies but you still want to do a bit more damage than regular frost dart would do to ice resistant target you use hail shot. Got it. :lol:
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Sat May 06, 2017 5:57 pm

:P Now I know how designers for Magic: the Gathering must feel.
Ferret

Postby RolaRoul » Wed May 10, 2017 3:47 am

Are there any situations where it's a good idea to refuse to introduce yourself to a demon?
RolaRoul

Postby Ferret » Thu May 11, 2017 1:04 am

At the moment, no. :( I really need to get to adding that reputation system... one day... right now as a hack it just uses your character level, so your reputation starts "meh" and slowly improves over time. Refusing to identify yourself/lying about it would be useful in cases where you know your reputation with the demon you're talking to is likely poor or bad.
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Wed May 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Waaaait, since mending is legit negative effect that means it should work with resolute?
oneeyedjoe

Next

Return to General Discussion