Yet another YASD thread

The tower awaits!

Re: Yet another YASD thread

Postby Troubler » Tue May 22, 2018 4:09 am

Had a pretty good run this time, but I'm still figuring out when to dump out old demons.
My party just kind of teetered out around level 10ish and cumulative maxHP damage finally did me in.
My team of Maj. Ogre, the slaver dog guy, angel, and friends were holding up pretty well until that point.

Although it didn't turn out as well as my one run where I got to level 16, I finally figured out how to handle those creepy hand things without ditching the whole level.
Managed to even recruit one but didn't get to do much with it before more powerful enemies floored me.

I'm guessing the game is pointing me toward figuring out how to work with weaknesses/resistances. Since I've just been bludgeoning things.
This seems like the next step to making progress. But at least the constant wraith deaths are probably coming to an end.
Troubler

Postby Ferret » Tue May 22, 2018 11:13 pm

Weaknesses/resistances are definitely important. :D It's important to have a decent variety of elemental types among both your party's attacks and their resistances/immunities, and to avoid having too many with the same weakness. Be ready to adjust your usual active party based on nasty encounters that you need to focus more on weakness/resistance management with, but be especially aware of your own status on these fronts, since of course you can't unsummon yourself. :D

It sounds like you're making good progress. :D Keep it up! :D
Ferret

Postby Troubler » Wed May 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Yeah. I kept noticing huge chunks of my party would have a weakness to lightning. That would get me in trouble a lot.
So fixing this was a priority, and no longer an issue. My own resistances were pretty simple, just pro-light and anti-dark.

Made more progress last night, and was able to handle a lot of enemies I had to run from before.
I've still been mostly neglecting resistance, even though I said I wouldn't.
It tends to be hard to justify swapping out someone for a relatively inferior demon over a resistance.
Though I have also figured out where I was being an idiot.
I had been focusing on agility for a crown buff/melee character, just to get in hits to have the buffs trigger.
This time I pumped up strength instead and had a lot easier time with things. Most of my accuracy worries were unfounded.

Got around level 15, but was sandwiched between two nasty mobs while escaping mummies I was trying to kill at range.
Death was relatively quick and painless this time around. Though it was due entirely to my hubris.
But part of it is, with strict anti-grind roguelikes, it can be hard to gauge how forgiving the developer will be for missing EXP.

The unique ogre guy really carried me through most of it. And early on I had too many uniques to know what to do with.
Started testing out some range/elemental based monsters to see what they could do.
That Cocoa dog unique did okay, but was somewhat underwhelming. And later I tried a desmas for my elemental guy.
It wasn't that useful really. Often I forgot it was there. Eventually it croaked from my neglect.

The game is deceptively time-consuming. Even with the pretty bare dungeons, I always descend much slower than I expect.
Though encounters and strategies are pretty reliable and repeatable, so it's never too hard to get back where I was.
Also I met Bahoment for the first time. Screw that guy.
Troubler

Postby Ferret » Fri May 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Electricity's one of the nastier weaknesses: almost all of its attacks combine high damage with a chance to be Shocked (which leaves you unable to act or avoid attacks for a turn) Raichos exist in part as an early lesson in how ugly this can get, even on a very fragile melee-only Electricity-using enemy. :D

A little Agility can be nice, but at the moment even I admit is hard to justify going overboard on it. You'll hit things just fine for the most part if you keep adding 1 point per level, and even that can be skipped if you keep a reliable source of ACC Up or EVD Down in your active party.

Demon is built to be very forgiving for missing EXP. You'll have tough times for awhile if you miss a big chunk of it (for example, by having to bail on part of Anomaly, or getting chased off a floor), but you'll recover.

Mioachoadin (even I'm not sure I can spell it right without cheating and looking it up in the data files) is one of the best early uniques probably. :) He's especially funny when you remember Mighty Roar being Impact means it can trigger all sorts of passives that normally don't work on other breath weapons, like Venomous, Vampirism, etc.

:D What went wrong with Baphomet?
Ferret

Postby Troubler » Sat May 26, 2018 5:58 pm

I'm glad the EXP penalties are forgiving. Being able to walk away is an important part of any roguelike.
After some post-victory spoiling, I noticed that the score is heavily based on EXP or something like that.
So that seems pretty smart, you get the best of both worlds there.

As for baphomet. He's just a jerk. He wanted me to kill half my guys and dump all my health.
I gave him the health but he wasn't giving points for it. So I bailed on negotiating with him once he started asking for sacrifices.
I think I had a ranged wraith touch or something on that run so I was able to recover from that one luckily.
Tlaloc was somewhat similar, but not as bad. I think he let me choose who to sacrifice and it was some bird thing I just caught.
I was able to dump some stones on him so that helped as well. Not sure if baphomet would have accepted them from his tone.

And thanks for all the help and clarifications earlier.
Troubler

Postby Ferret » Sun May 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Re: EXP allowing recovery, It will become more important in Demon, as things go along. The difficulty's not quite where I want it yet, even in the current content. :D

Yeah, your Score is pretty much entirely based on your EXP. I couldn't find any other factors I agreed with adding. (Turn count is a popular one in other games, but I've never agreed. It seems to rather arbitrarily favor "fast" strategies and I've never understood the point of that.)

Unique negotiations can be pretty tough. :) Many uniques (and other demons, for that matter) will demand you get rid of allies that "offend" their sensibilities: having these allies in your party (active or stable) can make trying to recruit them somewhat more difficult. Any time you are asked to get rid of a specific ally rather than being asked to choose one, this is the cause. Baphomet is offended by "holy" demons, which he defines as those who possess Light or Healing abilities. He's also tends to be a stickler about it, whereas other demons can be a bit more forgiving of refusals.

No problem re: the help/clarifications. :D
Ferret

Previous

Return to General Discussion