Questions about soul armour

The tower awaits!

Questions about soul armour

Postby oneeyedjoe » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:51 am

What is the best possible soul armour in the game?
How resistances from soul armour carry over to relic ghosts?
How the price of soul armour is calculated and why using a demon with 4 weaknesses and 1 resistance is more expensive than using a demon with 1 weakness and 1 resistance :?
oneeyedjoe

Re: Questions about soul armour

Postby mbj » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:49 am

Well-fed Slime soul armor if you want maximum hp in the game
Be warned though that you'll just get one turn killed by something you're weak to even with max vitality
Something something Ehlose probably for maximum resists
mbj

Postby oneeyedjoe » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:48 am

Well I just had a run where I fused chthonic ehlose on myself. I got like -30hp penalty for all those resistances and then died to tier 3 demons in 2 turns because I wasn't resistant to pierce :| . So maybe having a bunch of resistances isn't the best idea, maybe being resistant to 3-4 key elements and having more hp is better.
oneeyedjoe

Postby wizzzargh » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Relic wraiths just have their own resistance set based on what they are, and they turn a weakness into a resistance if they had soul armor, and they turn it into an immunity if they're high enough level. Or at least that's how I think it works.

I'm also at a loss to explain some soul armor costs, but from what I can tell resistances increase price exponentially and it's mostly based on your level and # of resists. Weaknesses barely make the cost cheaper. If you already have a lot of resists, getting more is slightly cheaper, but not to the point where it's ever worth Soul Armoring your way up 'gradually' through a series of different Armors.

Speed bonuses or maluses seem to be a relatively small part of the equation compared to resists but I feel like +20% speed is about the same price upgrade as one or two resists.

An alternate Soul Armor for resistances would be a Chthonic Aithir.
>But wizz they are weak to fire ice and electricity how could this be good

Oho, well, if you have Aura Ward, you can use elemental attacks to make yourself resist everything in the game except Mind and Pierce (and Data) and have NO WEAKNESS and also HP that isn't quite as shot to hell as a Chthonic Ehlose.

If going FAST is your thing, a Whirling/Dancing Pelesit has 170% speed and doesn't have the hideous weaknesses of a Raicho (though you still have lol no HP at those speeds) Scarabs are pretty interesting as well, having a great resistance set AND being fast.
wizzzargh

Postby Gaswafers » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:17 pm

So when considering the "best" soul armor, we look at how much the threat of an element scales down or up with resistance/weakness. How fast this scales can depend on your defenses, like mentioned above.

Elements that apply statuses are threatening in multiple ways, so their threat scales up more with weakness and scales down more with resistance. Mind, for example, is an extremely bad element to be weak against because you can't mitigate the damage from it with evasion and every status it inflicts is debilitating. Cold and physical are negligible weaknesses because weakness only makes you take more damage, and both of them can usually have their damage mitigated by the various sources of evasion and block out there. It should, however, be noted that Parry does not work against projectile attacks, which is why Vikhor gets rekt by centaurs.
Gaswafers

Postby mbj » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:32 pm

Whoa, cthonic aithir + auraward soul armor with a 5 sp elemental ability that you can spam sounds like the perfect tank setup. I thought there were more damage types though.
Also pair incredibly hihg speed soul armors with that meditate ability that gives SP for longer battles.
mbj

Postby oneeyedjoe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Heh I was considering stormy aithir at one point, but completely forgot about auraward. That combo does sound pretty strong but can be a bit risky. If you run out of SP in inopportune moment you can get instantly fried. And I would prefer mindbender aithir over chthonic, melee enemies usually aren't the problem - mind status effects are.
Thanks for answers everyone.
oneeyedjoe

Postby wizzzargh » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:38 pm

To hijack the thread a bit, how do people feel about Relic Wraith soul armor?

Each type of relic wraith having a resistance profile makes for pretty interesting fights, is flavorful and they seem pretty balanced as-is, so on the one hand, 'it ain't broke so don't fix it.' Soul Armor just adds a little more toughness to the Wraiths without changing them too much.

... but I do think it would be neat to be able to meet the rare 'unbalanced' ghosts that went for Well-Fed Slime armor, or High-Speed armors, or Breska-tier Mindbender Ehlose armors.
wizzzargh

Postby mbj » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:12 am

That's what I was hoping for initially, but Ferret thought it would be too imbalanced. Instead we get one more resist and one less weakness or whatever. I mean good soul armors costs so many credits, and you still have to pay for the fusion and the two (potentially rare or hard to capture) demons. All of that could instead go into making your party more powerful and therefore making a stronger wraith encounter. The way it is now, soul armor wraiths should generally be weaker than other wraiths, unless they didn't actually use soul armor at all. I don't think it would be imbalanced at all, and walking away is always an option anyway. Not searching optional corpses is also a very good option.

Additionally, resists/weaknesses/speed/max HP are allegedly supposed to be balanced against each other, so "imbalanced soul armors" shouldn't even be a problem. Although in my experience, the extra HP from lacking resists or speed or from having weaknesses isn't nearly good enough to deal with having fewer actions and taking extra damage; having n resists/1 weakness or +speed generally works out well though. Note that current wraiths have ridiculously huge amounts of resists and immunities, so if anything current wraiths are the imbalanced ones, which would mean there's no reason to not have actual soul armor implemented for wraiths.

As for flavor considerations, the relic upgrade is called "soul" armor. As in, you are sacrificing your demon to use its spirit to protect yourself. This also means that resistances are tied to the demon's spirit. The relic should still be using that soul to protect the summoner as long as the relic is working. Also it would be fun.
mbj

Return to General Discussion