Combat Mechanics: Power, Damage, Healing

The tower awaits!

Re: Combat Mechanics: Power, Damage, Healing

Postby Ferret » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Most Defense bonuses are multiplicative: So, you'd have 100 x 1.25 x 1.375 x 1.25 = 214, or +114% defense.

However, Defense is basically a measure of how long your HP pool lasts. If you have +100% defense for example, it lasts twice as long... in effect meaning you're taking half damage. If you somehow had +200% defense, that would mean your HP last three times as long as normal: in effect, you'd be taking one third normal damage.
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Huh, that's actually kinda weak. Probably will make some difference is those drawn out fights tho.
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:49 pm

Defense bonuses look a little runty taken on their own. They start to shine when you combine them with other things, particularly HP recovery mechanics, or offense/speed reductions for your enemies.

Quick example:

Let's say you have 100HP and an enemy is hitting you for 20HP a turn. Currently, you will go down in 5 hits.

We'll give you a modest defense boost, say, just Protect's +25%. At +25%, the enemy's damage per hit will drop from 20 to 16. It now takes 7 hits to kill you: if you ask me, this is already a pretty decent gain for just slapping a buff on. :D

But let's go further and slap Weaken on the target: -20% offense. Now that 16 is being cut to 12.8, and it will take 8 hits to kill you.

Let's toss a Regen effect on you for +3 HP/turn. That effectively cuts directly out of the 12.8, dropping it to 9.8... now you need 11 hits to drop.

With 3 actions (Protect, Weaken, Regen) you've more than doubled how hard the target in this scenario is to take out. Worth noting is that further healing will drastically improve the effect further: a 15 HP heal would barely be worth mentioning on the original 100/20 example, not even buying you an entire hit. But once it's at 100/9.8, that 15 HP buys you nearly two more hits.
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 am

So healing prolongs your character's life? What an unexpected turn of events :D But seriously, I take it as one single buff/debuff skill can't stand on its own. You either go full on buffing or might as well don't use it.
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:15 am

oneeyedjoe wrote:So healing prolongs your character's life? What an unexpected turn of events :D

Alright you :P

But seriously, I take it as one single buff/debuff skill can't stand on its own. You either go full on buffing or might as well don't use it.

Fair enough. :) I may even be wrong about them myself (not the mechanics of how they work, but the matter of whether they are useful or not.) I think I said it somewhere else here recently, but Demon has definitely gotten to that point where other players play it more than I do. :D
Ferret

Postby Saler » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:17 pm

I don't think you updated this for the damage boost this game got. Some new people might get confused why it takes far less then 600 power to kill someone.
Ferret wrote:It's funny because I mostly intended them to be a support unit: the one attack and the high Strength were more a nod to them being bears than anything else. :D
Saler

Postby Ferret » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:45 pm

I updated the first post, but I can't promise there isn't more outdated information lurking. :) I don't have time to dig through the entire thread and update at the moment, unfortunately. :( But, thank you for pointing that out, it's good to fix that one at least since it's front and center.
Ferret

Previous

Return to General Discussion