Combat Mechanics: Power, Damage, Healing

The tower awaits!

Re: Combat Mechanics: Power, Damage, Healing

Postby Ferret » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:52 am

It's not well explained in game at the moment, but no, Snuff Out isn't affected by those things. Generally, if an ability describes an alternate method of determining its accuracy, this overrides the normal rules (but I again admit this is definitely not well documented.)

As for the Smite target 85 Power 70% hit spell, you have to compare it to its close cousins:

Storm Strike: 30 SP, Electricity type, 85 Power, 12% Shock chance, always 70% hit rate
Humble: 20 SP, Light Cooldown: 3, 70 Power, can't miss, but only can target > 50% HP enemies
Agony: 20 SP, Dark Cooldown: 3, 85 Power, can't miss, but cannot target the same enemy more than once per 6 turns

Basically, Storm Strike trades a higher SP cost for not having a cooldown, and trades the "can't miss" attribute for not having target restrictions, with a small Shock chance built in for gravy. A case might also be made that Electricity is a better damage type than Light or Dark: All 3 come up as weaknesses fairly often, but Electricity is far rarer as a resistance and almost unheard of as an immunity.

Still... a fair bit of this is personal taste too. :) If you prefer reliable, trustworthy strategies, Storm Strike isn't going to sound awesome. It's definitely a bit tiled towards high risk, high reward, and doesn't offer much possible mitigation of the risk. This is a lesser flavor I try to show in many Electricity spells in general. Many of them have uncontrollable elements or inherent risks in their use... but they all have that cute little chance to Shock, and Electricity has one of the generally best resistance distributions at the moment.
Ferret

Postby geminimax » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Does arctic veil trigger frost armor?
geminimax

Postby Ferret » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:31 pm

Nopey. :( Reactions generally speaking never count as your "last action"
Ferret

Postby geminimax » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:26 pm

How do skills like clobber and eat alive work? Do they factor the user's accuracy and the target's evasion, or is it always 50% chance to hit?
geminimax

Postby Ferret » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:39 pm

50% of the normal chance with those factors.

So if your hit rate with most attacks, after everything is added up, would be 72%, it will be 36% when using one of those.
Ferret

Postby geminimax » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:37 am

Oh, and does paralysis negate evasion, or does it only reduces the chance of it occurring?
geminimax

Postby Ferret » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:10 am

Paralysis completely ruins your evasion: any attack will hit you, no matter how poor the accuracy.

Paralyze also disables many passives that give Block/Dodge/Parry... though notably, not the elemental ward spells like Flame Ward and the like.
Ferret

Postby geminimax » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:14 pm

Does combust trigger aurastrike? It looks like it doesn't, is it because it's a free action?
geminimax

Postby Ferret » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Ah, yes, it is. I should update the wording on one or the other to reflect that free actions don't trigger it. Thanks!
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:49 am

Hmm.. actually, I think I can let free actions trigger these now, maybe. I had to avoid it before for technical reasons, but I don't like that this doesn't work when it probably should, so I'll look into overcoming that hurdle instead. :D
Ferret

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion