YAVP: Faithful heart, healing and fire.

The tower awaits!

Character in progress: icy orb

Postby Remora » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:00 am

For my second cycle, I went for a good old orb of power character who started off with ice dart and sticked with being an icy character. Right now my character ha Sudden Chill, Freezing Touch, Absolution, and several passive ice abilities and tormentor. I recall having moments of mulching enemies like dispsas (with a little help from allies like an early nokken). Currently this character is in the mid tower, about the 11th to 13th floors.

Early on this character favored agility over magic, but I started to prioritize magic after using Transpose Soul to get Sudden Chill from Ccoa. I have picked the SEPI and capacity upgrades so far, as well as refine brand right before I stopped playing today. My early game had encounters like culler ilomba and a freybug on Tower:3, which I put off fighting until I got through Arcadia because they were that much trouble, and an asrai link in which I briefly copied mob cover onto my PC to increase chances of survival. Translator is good for such plays in a pinch.

This run has been decent so far, albeit around Tower:9 my party got drained pretty badly so I had to recover by recruiting new allies like an ala and an aitvaras in Anzu's Sanctum. I've also gone for another healer demas, whose resistances compliment my PC's decently. For several early floors I had an arachne ally who I gave the "fiery" modifier to who served me well from Arcadia to Anomaly, but got hurt badly and was ultimately replaced. Now I've got plans to seek more new allies to replace some of my increasingly underleveled allies to reliably make it to the later tower; perhaps I might put good ole whirling from Vikhor onto something for the first time in quite a while.

Anyway, it feels good to be playing Demon again! It certainly has been a while, but I've quickly gotten back into the hang of it, even if I make mistakes here and there.
Remora

Re: YAVP: Faithful heart, healing and fire.

Postby Ferret » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Hey Remora :D Good to hear from ya again. :)

Heh, not sure I'd heard of someone using Call Demon to do a protect link to recover Max HP before, but I don't mind it. :D Roguelike devs have the reputation of thinking of everything, but speaking at least for myself, I like surprises sometimes!

Sounds like you had a fun time on the new floors, and even survived a bout with the dreaded (or hopefully dreaded) Thrones. :) Damage over time effects definitely ruin Hecate's day, and it's a good thing they do. The first player to report running into her got near insta-wiped by Lampad and Serenity-powered chain screen nukes from her. Pretty much can't let her be in view and full HP/SP for any length of time.

Holy groups are only continuing to get worse as they get more and more variety from the ever-growing number of angelic/holy demons in the Tower. :D There's still ranks of the angelic choir to go... and as golems demonstrate, they can get some extra help from holy, if not angelic, sorts too. :)

Well, Kayna didn't get her target by the sound of it, but at least she managed to kill something. She's my first experiment with an "assassin" style Hero. Frankly after all the trouble with early incarnations of Adria, I'm always nervous trying out new kinds of heroes. :P

Congrats on the win; it sounds like your 2nd cycle's already off to a good start. :D Thanks for the reports!
Ferret

Previous

Return to General Discussion