Questions about tactics vs dangerous monsters

The tower awaits!

Questions about tactics vs dangerous monsters

Postby Sandman25 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Some questions to all players who can win reliably.

How do you deal with dangerous monsters? Escape to next floor immediately? Retreat to heal and try again (probably with consumables this time)? Retreat to heal and carefully explore trying to not meet the group again? Something else?

What do you do when you meet a new group? Read all its abilities and decide either to fight or escape? Or try fighting anyway? Do you use swiftness/dash to retreat and change which of your demons are deployed?

Thank you
Sandman25

Re: Questions about tactics vs dangerous monsters

Postby mbj » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:55 pm

How do you deal with dangerous monsters? Escape to next floor immediately? Retreat to heal and try again (probably with consumables this time)? Retreat to heal and carefully explore trying to not meet the group again? Something else?

It depends on the situation. I'll dive (rise?) to the next floor immediately if I end up surrounded and would lose a demon/myself trying to run away, or even if it's just some insane unique like Charliss or Antoria. If I won't incur any losses, but still can't take on the enemies even under favorable conditions and with consumables, I'll retreat using my demons as a distraction, and then give a wide berth around the pack/summoner/hero while exploring. Otherwise just run, heal up, and try again, this time leading them to a better position and using consumables.

What do you do when you meet a new group? Read all its abilities and decide either to fight or escape? Or try fighting anyway? Do you use swiftness/dash to retreat and change which of your demons are deployed?

Definitely read all the abilities and stats of unknown demons and even modified demons, they could have an ability that exploits a huge gap in your defenses (such as a type weakness found in most of your party, or maybe some kind of status that you don't have the means to heal, like lacking calm vs. panic attacks). If my character/party is really strong overall I'll probably fight anyway. But the biggest thing that will help you survive in Demon is just walking away and never looking back, seriously, especially since demons won't try to track you down like enemies would do in some other games. And yes, swiftness is amazing for running away. Just be careful when exploring after running so you won't end up surrounded by packs of enemies you can't take on.

Another big thing that gets me killed is putting my demons' lives above my character's life. There will always be other demons later, and you can even revive lost demon's, but you can't revive yourself! So try to place your character's safety first
mbj

Postby Sandman25 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:26 am

Thank you, that was very helpful!
Sandman25

Postby wizzzargh » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:37 am

Different monsters require different tactics so I feel like specific advice is much easier to give than general advice (Fotia and Chachapuma and Raiju are all completely different, but all very dangerous I think), but being a complete coward and hiding behind your demons at the edge of line of sight whenever possible works wonders for me.

Mbj gave a lot of good advice, especially in overvaluing the lives of your demons and reading abilities. Unsummoning is usually enough to save them, but sometimes it is better to let them die to save yourself.

Reading new abilities on enemy demons is also really important- I once died to a summoner's Shoggoth that was far away, just because it had Bull Rush and I hadn't checked its abilities...
wizzzargh

Postby Sandman25 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:25 pm

wizzzargh wrote:Fotia and Chachapuma and Raiju are all completely different, but all very dangerous I think

Thank you. Do you have specific advices for the monsters? Vs Raiju's I would clearly teleport in DCSS but it does not work here :)
Use some direct damage rune since they have low HP as far as I remember (unless I confused them with Raichos)? Use "slowing" rune vs Fotia because they are very dangerous even at range? I don't remember who are Chachapumas...
Last edited by Sandman25 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandman25

Postby mbj » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:42 am

For fotia just stand back and try to kill them at range. Don't walk forward unless you or your melee demon(s) are fire resistant and have plenty of healing available.

Chachapuma have bull rush and stunning blow I think? And hit hard with physical attacks. I don't know if there's a specific tactic for them other than put a tanky demon in front and try to focus fire each one down at a time.

Raiju are the same, but with pounce and electric attacks.

It's most important to exploit your party's resistances and the enemies' weaknesses for these cases, which applies to any encounter.
mbj

Postby Sandman25 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Yes, I realized that I have problems with tactics, so I am trying a haste/might build at the moment, it should allow to exploit the weaknesses... theoretically... except I almost died to Will o' wisps several times already :)
Thank you.
Sandman25

Return to General Discussion