Resolutions

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Resolutions

Postby Akel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:56 am

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I was curious about something: is it possible to give the game resolutions support?
Because I have a relatively small monitor (1024X768) and the game is slightly smaller than the window, I guess from unity adapting it, and some elements of the game are slightly outside the window, as can be seen in the image
Akel

Re: Resolutions

Postby Ferret » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:12 am

The game has a sort of resolution support in that it tries to go to the largest window size it supports that can fit your display comfortably.

Unfortunately, at the moment, the only resolutions supported are 1152x864 and 1080x720, meaning the smallest it can manage is just a hair bigger than what your monitor can fit.

The tricky part here is Demon has a fair bit of UI... it might take some doing to pack things into a smaller space. I will give it a shot though and see if I can work out a size slightly smaller than 1080x720. It will probably be a bit cramped even if I succeed, but it will at least be entirely on screen for you.
Ferret

Postby Akel » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm

Thanks! one thing you could do is resizing fonts, that'd make the minions list and log smaller, or alternatively putting it all in different windows like angband does.
But then again that last one would mean rewriting quite a bit of code, so I don't know if that's fine by you. Maybe making the size/location of the different elements resizeable would be far easier? that should be simply making their properties a variable that reads a setting in a ini file rater than having them in the code itself.
Akel

Postby Ferret » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:43 pm

UI programming in general is my weak point, unfortunately. :( The only thing I will be able to realistically try for this build is rearranging the UI elements myself in a new, third resolution option. That may be enough though... 1080x720 is already very close to 1024x768, after all. Worst case, I can slam the hotkey bar for abilities over to the right and move the map/tooltip up a little, then squeeze both sides just a hair?
Ferret

Postby Akel » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:23 pm

In my opinion just moving the elements inwards a bit (30 pixels each?) should be enough for a quick&dirty solution.
Akel

Postby Ferret » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:05 am

That's the idea. :) There are some knobs I can tweak (message log width) and what not too. Main concern is minimizing the amount of overlap between the UI and the "in sight of player" area. I'll be starting on this once I finish adding the new demons for this build, there's only 5 of them, so it won't be tooooo much longer. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:32 pm

984x720 support is added in the build I'll be releasing likely tomorrow... it's a bit rough though. The capture details for some monsters run into the "currently in sight" sphere a bit. :( Additionally, full screen mode does not seem to function, at least for me. I added a note to that effect if you attempt to trigger full screen mode while running at 984x720. Finally, I moved the tooltip to the left side of the screen and up a little so that I wouldn't have to move the hotkey bars to keep it from covering those.

Still, everything should be on screen for you now. :)

It's tighter space-wise than I'd like, but even the next resolution up from it is so I knew this one would be too. If I can think of any way to clean up further, I will do so... but that probably won't happen unless/until a major revamp of the front-end as a whole occurs.

Let me know if it triggers for you, and how it works. :) To confirm you're getting it, you can check which resolution Demon is running at by pressing F5 during the main game (it won't work during character creation.)
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:13 pm

Bonus, I may have fixed the full screen issue with the small resolution. :) We'll see. :D
Ferret

Postby Akel » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:20 pm

Thanks! I'll test it as soon as I can.
I still don't get used to game development where you can just pop up a message to the developer, :lol: , I still have that weird part in my head in which game makers are elder beings from outer space.
Akel

Postby Ferret » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 pm

:D Well, I'm probably not as cool as an elder being from outer space, but I definitely like messages. :D

And hey, those elder beings will probably show up in the Tower once I get far enough along on content. :)
Ferret

Next

Return to Feedback and Suggestions