"Show Suggestion" set to "Off" still shows level up

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

"Show Suggestion" set to "Off" still shows level up

Postby RedPine » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:08 am

Disabling Show Suggestions still makes the transmutation icon flash when a level up is available. This is a little annoying in the early game, when I don't need levels and am still letting the RNG of what I find dictate how I build my character.

There is already a feature that prompts me to spend level up points when I use portals. This feature is enough to make sure I don't forget to spend valuable level ups.

If suggested icons had a steady glow, instead of pulsing rapidly, they would be far less annoying, and I probably wouldn't want to disable them at all.
RedPine

Re: "Show Suggestion" set to "Off" still shows level up

Postby Ferret » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:35 pm

Well, I'd have agreed it was a bug, except...

Code: Select all
// Skip almost all it if the relevant option is turned off.
if(OptionManager.showSuggestions.setting == YesOrNoOption.Setting.No)
{
   // Some things override the show suggestions option...

// Level Up
   if(!m_pingTransmutationsButton && Demon.player.attributes.bonusPoints > 0)
   {
      m_pingTransmutationsButton = true;
      m_transmutationSuggestion = TransmutationSuggestion.LevelUp;
   }

if(m_pingTransmutationsButton)
   {
      return CommonAbilitySet.Get(CommonAbilityId.Transmutations);            
   }

return null;
}

...apparently past me decided level ups were important enough to show the ping for even if you said not to. This was probably before the addition of the prompt when using portals. I'll reconsider on this and probably change this to respect the option setting instead of ignoring it.
Ferret

Postby RedPine » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:07 am

Which file is this setting in? Is it an XML I can edit myself using Notepad?

I find it really annoying since I like to postpone permanent level up choices until I have a better idea of which abilities RNG decided to give me.
RedPine

Postby Ferret » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:18 am

Unfortunately, the problem in this case is that the setting does not control it, so editing the options can't help since no option governs it.

However, I will release a new build tomorrow that changes it to respect the option for this button as well. :D I admit I forgot about this when I did the recent bug fix build, so I figure I owe ya.
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:27 pm

Okay, new build's almost ready. The transmutation button will now respect the Show Suggestions setting even for leveling up.

Note that the "Level Up" option will still flash pink in the Transmutation menu when it is open. This behavior, for all abilities, has always ignored Show Suggestions. Since it only applies during the brief periods when that menu is open, hopefully this won't be a problem because I'm not sure I'd be as eager to change this one since it's the last warning/reminder left of something that's pretty important.

I realize now I never addressed why I couldn't make it just a steady color instead of pulse: that's actually how these used to work, but people didn't notice it. :D (Which I guess is the same thing you're saying when you say it wouldn't bother you, drawing attention to something and bothering someone is mostly a matter of whether the message is regarded as useful or not :D )
Ferret

Postby RedPine » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:29 am

That would be wonderful. If I'm look at the transmutation menu, it makes sense to get a reminder about unused transmutations. It's just when I'm trying to intentionally ignore something during normal gameplay that it gets annoying. Thanks for the fix, even if I'm the only one (that's vocal about it) that asked for it.
RedPine

Return to Feedback and Suggestions