Customize link types?

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Customize link types?

Postby Sandman25 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Is it possible to have a configuration to customize which link types are possible?
I tried to play Demon again recently and quit after first failed link, I just hate paying credits and then failing a link even if it happened due to misclick (accidentally clicked wrong row).
Some link actions are fun (kill target in N turns, kill N monsters while target is spectating), some are boring (HP cost, max HP cost) and some are really bad personally for me (pay credit, pay credit to teach a skill, give items), especially when they are not the last ones so you can give the items/credit and still get the link failed.
Sandman25

Re: Customize link types?

Postby Ferret » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Hmm.. I mean, I could do that... but it would effectively require defining every link type for every demon, since I don't know which ones folks would choose to turn off. I try to customize the details of most links for each demon (negotiating with a Faerie is different than negotiating with a Vampire, for example), so that'd be a fairly big undertaking.

I'd rather try to find a way to improve negotiation links (since most of what you're mentioning as boring / really bad are parts of those) than work on adding a way to turn them off. :P The idea with them, specifically with the items/credits/skill teaching ones, is that they're raising the stakes on later requests from that demon. i.e.: Early on in a negotiation, I might reject a request to kill off an ally, but if I've dumped a heal stone and 1000 Credits and *then* get the kill ally request, I might have to consider it more seriously.

Regardless of my intent though, I'm sorry it isn't feeling fun for you. :( I'll see if I can find ways to make negotiation more interesting/fun next time I get to doing a pass on it. Thanks for the feedback, and for circling back to Demon to give it another shot. :D
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:24 am

Sandman25 wrote:The idea with them, specifically with the items/credits/skill teaching ones, is that they're raising the stakes on later requests from that demon. i.e.: Early on in a negotiation, I might reject a request to kill off an ally, but if I've dumped a heal stone and 1000 Credits and *then* get the kill ally request, I might have to consider it more seriously.

That's the problem I am talking about. If a demon requests something really big (much credit, heal stone, kill ally etc.) and it is not last action before joining, then it is optimal to reject the request because next request can be even more brutal and unless you are a spoilered player, you don't even know what to expect.
Or alternatively maybe limit approvals to 2? Current system of 4+ is a bit weird to me, especially since some actions provide 2 approval points instead of standard 1. This way you will not be adjacent to angry monster with all your allies unsummoned after giving away some HP and credit, that's what triggered my complaint/proposal.

Thank you. I wanted to try some matter builds and then found I should explore a deep tree for that, list of starting allies is overwhelming :(
By the way are characters/allies ordered by power so a new player can select first row in all menus and get a relatively easy character this way?
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:53 pm

The point about not knowing how much worse requests can get if you haven't been done many negotiations yet is a fair one... though even demons on Tower:1 request ally sacrifices, so you get to see some of the worst ones fairly quick. :D

I'll do another pass on negotiation at some point and see if I can improve it. I don't necessarily agree with all of your specifics, but I agree it could be better and it has been awhile since my last pass on polishing it.

Character creation will be getting a revamp relatively soon. Granted, the goal of that revamp isn't necessarily to simplify it or make it more new player friendly, but one of the goals *is* to nerf the power of starting characters, which may end up having the side effect of simplifying it. :P
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Thank you and good luck with the changes :)
Sandman25

Return to Feedback and Suggestions