Ability ideas

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Ability ideas

Postby Gaswafers » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:28 pm

Because the new release is getting close, I feel I must attempt to slow you down:

Fume. 0 SP. Can only be used if you took damage since your last turn. Restores 15 SP.

Pace. Passive. Your SP regeneration is increased by 75% as long as you have 50 or more SP.

Restful. Passive. Each 1 point of SP you gain while at max SP restores 1% HP.

Almighty Fury. Passive. Your light and dark attacks have their damage converted to fire or electricity against enemies who are more vulnerable to those types.

Almighty Cruelty. Passive. Your light and dark attacks have their damage converted to ice or body against enemies who are more vulnerable to those types.

Almighty Rule. Passive. Your light and dark attacks have their damage converted to light, dark, or mind against enemies who are more vulnerable to those types.

Abduct. Dark. 5 SP. Must target a shocked, paralyzed, stunned, sleeping, or panicked character. Warps the target adjacent to you. Cooldown: Dark (6)

Grudge. Passive. Increases status accuracy by 0%-50%, based on your remaining HP (lower HP = higher chance).
Gaswafers

Re: Ability ideas

Postby Ferret » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:14 am

Some good ones here. :) Fume and Restful I like a fair bit. The Almighties would probably end up somewhat less awesome: probably one of Light or Dark converting to one of Fire or Electricity, for one ability. Then too, working around resistances is more of an Ice thing, though Light and Dark dabbling in it wouldn't be horrifying. Abduct is quite cool, even if the AI would probably be a pain (for the same reasons terrain effect AI would be: evaluating positions quickly *and* effectively is a bit of a tricky lift).. but that problem IS one I plan to solve eventually, so it's not off the table. :D Grudge is pretty interesting too. :D

Thanks for the suggestions. :D You might see some of these, or some forms of some of these, in the future... though not the NEAR future. :P The only way I'm adding anything unscheduled to this build at this point is if it is a fix for a Serious (i.e.: crash or game data compromising) sort of bug. :D
Ferret

Postby Gaswafers » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Lucky Break. Passive. Provides you a random benefit when you are damaged by enemies. This has a cooldown. Cooldown: Luck (3)

Karma. Passive. Reduces Luck cooldown by 2 turns when damaged by enemies.

Whimsy. 0 SP. Reduces Light and Dark cooldowns by 1 turn. 25% chance of an extra, random benefit as well. Free action. Cooldown: Luck (3)

Last one could use a better name(something about divine unreliability). I'm not a fan of Quiet Prayer and Mantra because they aren't really useful for things with 2 turn cooldowns.
Gaswafers

Postby oneeyedjoe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Red whisper, Enraging glare, etc. Basically new mind effect - berserker. Makes target attack closest demon with increased strength but only in melee combat.

Invisibility - enemies won't be able to see you and attack you directly, but you still can get damaged by aoe attacks. Wears off in a couple of
turns, when you use a damaging ability or when you get too close to the enemy. Proximity affected by mind resistance. Mind immune enemies won't have any of your shenanigans.

Magical cloaks - basically ice/fire/electricity veils that do more damage but don't last forever and cost SP to "wear".

Calming/Cleansing aura. No effect on the owner but allies get extra resistance to mind/body debuffs based on proximity to the owner.

Blessbreaker - removes 20% of duration of positive effects from enemies with each impact/pierce/slice attack.

Crippler's mien - dark and light attacks have 30% to apply hex to targets whose last action was a damaging physical ability.

Condemnation - 62 power light attack. Only affects targets with positive effects, +8 power per each.

Fiery legacy - enemies that die from your fire attack explode in 70 power fireball.

Filthy legacy - when enemy with negative status effects dies, it gives all of its debuffs to the closest ally. Affected by resistances.

Ability that allows you to set mines (fire/ice/electricity runes). Can't have more than 1 at once, your allies can see them and can walk over them (unless charmed or paniced). Enemy that triggers a mine loses a turn and takes damage.

Ability that allows you to summon friendly minions, they scale with your level.
And a passive that spawns friendly minion each time you kill an enemy.
oneeyedjoe

Postby Bormoth » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:55 am

I would add one ability or group of abilities. Ones that when cast on enemy disable some group abilities or put abilities on cooldown(Could be treated as cooldown if endurance, miracle and soul abilities are exempt.

Basic idea is to make abnoxious fights like Miderva where you chip 1-2 HP out of 70 less likely. (really she requires light immunity for tank which is rare by that point Only angels have it.) And even then she is blocks fairly often, all elements, and immune to light herself, and cleanse. The only way I see it is MaxHP drain to 1 HP, dark, mind(rare one too at least with damage) and that's it. It is basically not even challanging fight, it is just boring, run around distract poke with abilites that have range. MAybe get some disables.

Some ability for short time disable all or group of passives. (Costly, requires lots of passives to be considered to cast by AI, MAiby even soul or miracle ability, if duration is long enough.)
Abilities to put abilities from some school on cooldown, or target again passives only. Maybe something like this there already is in game I just don't know.
Bormoth

Postby Ferret » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:42 pm

This reminds me... I probably need to add the "missing" status effects some day. :P Rage is one of them, as it turns out. :) A status effect to disable passives could also be interesting.

I keep trying to think of a good way to do invisibility too, but I admit I kind of hate how it usually plays out in roguelikes where it's basically "if you don't have See Invis you're screwed, and if you do it's pointless" The mechanic proposed here is better than that, but I'd need to think about this one a fair bit. :)

I like the Legacy abilities too. :) I've had some similar ideas myself for "triggered on death" things. Main issue has been figuring out how the AI should handle them: if I know I have a buddy who can trigger an on death effect, do I wait for him to kill the target (and risk the target getting healed), or do I kill it ASAP and to heck with the trigger? It feels like one of those problems that may not have an answer that makes everyone happy. I've got a way around it I haven't implemented yet though, for example: "If a target dies with your Ignite effect on them, they explode in a 70 Power fireball": that way, the AI doesn't have to worry about when to kill them; once you've applied an Ignite, you're good.

Summoning abilities are something else I've thought about, but I'm not convinced Demon would benefit from them. It also would probably just make things potentially way too noisy, given in theory there could be 8 characters each summoning minions.
Ferret

Postby Bormoth » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Invisibility in demon, nah, I doubt it would work. The problem you tend even as crown relic to walk around as pack of monsters.It is just invisibility would be useful to only one relic. Othervice your whole group would just keep agroing.

It can be done as lowering threat option - targets with low mind(or whatever resistance based on effect), treat invisible targets less of a threat than other targets and hit them last(resistance reduces threat reduction, and immunity mitigates, while weakness makes AI target high threat targets last). For player it can act like panic, but without stambling around effect, or friendly damage. The damage is moved off the target to an ally inside pack/summoned creatures, based on weakness/resistance/immunity of summoner.

Also the way invisibility proposed is also interesting idea, could be something like scouting instrument, and sorta plays like aggro/threat reduction. Because invisible enemies most likely would be targeted last, unless they treated like deadly. Though weak to mind could be really harsh especially if there are no other kinds of invisibilities(although not that bad if you have demons spotting for you, but than it would be pretty bad, as long as mind weak targets can see them at some range.)
Bormoth

Postby RolaRoul » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 am

Body Breakdown. Passive. Increases your chances of applying Body status effects (Poison, Infection, and Paralysis) by 50% when targeting a character that has a Body status effect.

Mind Breakdown. Passive. Increases your chances of applying Mind status effects (Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm) by 50% when targeting a character that has a Mind status effect.

Soul Breakdown. Passive. Increases your chances of applying Light and Dark status effects (Guilt, Mute, Pariah, and Hex) by 50% when targeting a character that has a Light or Dark status effect.
RolaRoul

Postby Ferret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:08 am

RolaRoul: For the most part I like these. :D The Mind one is a little troublesome because most Mind conditions are mutually exclusive/replace each other anyway, but otherwise they'd work pretty well. :D
Ferret

Postby Bormoth » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:28 am

RolaRoul wrote:Body Breakdown. Passive. Increases your chances of applying Body status effects (Poison, Infection, and Paralysis) by 50% when targeting a character that has a Body status effect.

Mind Breakdown. Passive. Increases your chances of applying Mind status effects (Stun, Sleep, Panic, and Charm) by 50% when targeting a character that has a Mind status effect.

Soul Breakdown. Passive. Increases your chances of applying Light and Dark status effects (Guilt, Mute, Pariah, and Hex) by 50% when targeting a character that has a Light or Dark status effect.

As neat as it is I dunno about those abilities, 50% sounds too big. It is like how much cuning 35-45? seems far better then getting cuning for any skills. Maybe make them reverse scale with range, so melee could get benifit. But maybe I am overaxegerrating and slots are valuable enough to allow those to exist.
Bormoth

Next

Return to Feedback and Suggestions