Ability ideas

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Re: Ability ideas

Postby Bormoth » Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 am

Hmm had random idea while thinking about pros and cons of fading vs expiring status effects.
Maybe some status effects which start strong but than fade away as their duration expires(usually fixed so strong resistance makes debuff worse quicker) based on resistance to status effect. They always applied unless they come from passives.

Though maybe the idea of agility and constitution reducing respective fading speed and whole fading status effects for buffs/debuffs would feel better.
Bormoth

Postby Ferret » Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Petrify will work sort of like this, probably: initially it won't have the full effect, but if it sticks around long enough it becomes actual petrification (pretty much exactly how it works in DCSS, or at least, how it worked the last time I played DCSS.)
Ferret

Postby Bormoth » Mon May 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Ferret wrote:Petrify will work sort of like this, probably: initially it won't have the full effect, but if it sticks around long enough it becomes actual petrification (pretty much exactly how it works in DCSS, or at least, how it worked the last time I played DCSS.)

This is also interesting idea, though this is not fading but growing getting strength. I dunno if it is valuable buff for player, unless it is sorta like deadly poison which gains strength and deals more damage for player, or aoe slow(this one seems too decimating). What is for player 5-10 turn clock(Oh my god I'm gonna die), but from enemy NPC point of view it is meh, you kill me faster. Just situations not equal.

What I ment is let's say charm it has 5 turn clock. And you have 10% of resistance based on resistances/stats(Agi for attunuated and con, considered pretty high),
So each time chance to prevent someone from acting turn my turn would be 100%,90%,80%,70%,60%,50%. This is main reason is 10% is pretty high value.
Another way is let ability last until it fades out, but it seems bad solution for all skills because a each skill would need an additional stat to determine condition strength(basicaly how fast it detoriates) and second a lot of processing time for pretty much useless effects.
---
It is just food for thought, opportunity to play with mechanics.
Bormoth

Postby 2tousent » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 am

I don't know if you want to avoid this but it would be cool to have abilities that trigger off different elements, not working mutually like dark/light or physical but more of a tool too open up party synergies.

The intention is for them to be sparce, like only a single ability, but to be nice to have if your demons have matching elements.

(don't mind the names too much)

1- Spark Up: Damages an enemy and has a chance of Igniting it for an unusually long duration if it is Shocked.

2- Frozen Conductor: Electricity attacks deal more damage to Chilled enemies. (i just realized this is a bad idea as ice is a not a good conductor, but it's just a way a similar mechanic could work)

3- Paralyzing Fear: Chance to Paralyze an enemy if it is in Panic.

4- Etc... (Thermic Shock, Poison Ignition, Aphrodisiac Venom...)
2tousent

Postby Ferret » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:22 am

:D This hits one of those things that'll probably be a bit frustrating.

There are certain mechanics I have come up with, but purposefully put in my pocket rather than using, so that I can introduce them later. :) Cross-elemental stuff is such a category. :D

That said, the Matter build will actually be adding a little of this...

Thanks for the suggestions. :)
Ferret

Postby Elysium » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:02 am

Tech: New element that scales off Agility. It *would* be really cool to see some robotic demons, or at least some fusions of flesh and machine, and build on the fact that relics are super-advanced technology... Dunno if there are already some like that 'cause the farthest I ever climbed was Tower 8... I'm also not sure if you want to go with this theme either. The Tech element would have an Agility (or Cunning?) based chance to deal additional damage and use Reload cooldowns, which decrease naturally but additionally decrease by 1 every time you skip a turn? Also, I don't know anything about game balance, so feel free to absolutely tear this apart/suggest stuff. I don't mean to delay the Matter update by the way :)

Swift Bullet: 15 SP, Projectile. 70 Power attack, takes only half a turn. 15% chance to critically hit, dealing another 40 Power attack. Cooldown: Reload (3)

Snipe: 25 SP, Projectile. 85 Power Attack, 70% chance to critically hit, dealing another 40 Power Attack. Cooldown: Reload (7)

Unload: 25 SP. Projectile. 1-3 55 Power attacks, chance to increase number of hits based on Agility. Cooldown: Reload (9)

Auto-loader: Passive. Decreases Reload cooldowns by one, to a minimum of one.

Magnifier: Passive. Increases sight range and the range of Tech abilities by one, but increases Reload cooldowns by 1.

Quantum Processor: Passive. Dodging attacks has a 50% chance to accelerate the user's next turn.

Recalibrate: Passive. Dodging attacks lowers Reload cooldowns by 1.

Overclock: 30 SP. Self. Resets Reload cooldowns and increases the user's speed by 33% for a short time. Cooldown: Endure (5)

Cutting-Edge: Passive. Chance to critically hit increased by 10%.

Leading-Edge: Passive. Critically hitting with a Tech ability accelerates all adjacent characters' next turn.

Also, on an unrelated note, I thought of a cool ability for mind:

Simulacrum: 30 SP. Direct. Creates a weaker copy of the target that allies itself with the caster. Cooldown: Presence (11)
Elysium

Postby Ferret » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:55 pm

I admit robotics isn't really the direction things are headed in the Tower, though if you've gotten to Tower:8 you've certainly seen the Anomaly so you know things aren't entirely fantasy either. :D

One of Demon's rules is that (with the exception of cryptids), demons used in it have to be at least a century old, which makes it difficult to include heavy robotic elements. :D Granted, you could take the approach of adopting century old demon/myth designs to incorpoate robotics, but that's probably an idea for another game. :D

All that said, that doesn't mean the ideas can't be used in some other way. :D

Critical hits may be a thing eventually... they're in my back pocket for "do in case of physical attacks falling behind". That said, I don't think we need to break that open yet, physical stuff doesn't feel ridiculously far behind these days. :D

Increasing sight isn't possible due to UI limitations on smaller resolutions, but increasing range is. It's proven tricky to get the AI to understand "prepare" type abilities, but that isn't necessarily an unsolvable problem, just a tricky one. :)

Summoning abilities... part of me really wants to do these... and the other part of me thinks I'd be crazy to do that, because I'd be at *minimum* asking for 8v8 combat. :D I'll have to find some way to limit the insanity without making it so restricted as to be no fun (because it'll be enough of a pain in the neck to do that I don't wanna do it if it's not a lot of fun. :D )
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:55 pm

PS: Don't worry, you can't delay the Matter build any worse than being ridiculously busy at work has been doing already. ugh.
Ferret

Postby Elysium » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:25 am

Ugh, Our Sanctum... :x :oops: :twisted:
Data abilities seem to only be a thing of Glitches, so eh. Maybe it should stay that way. It may not be the correct time in Demon's lifetime to even suggest such a thing, but do you see yourself allowing player modding anytime in the future, or will Demon remain purely closed-source? It seems to be the latter due to the amount of balancing and design philosophy that goes into the game, but cool stuff *could* be done with modding...
Like terrifying fusions of flesh and machine, for example...
Elysium

Postby Ferret » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 pm

I'm strongly considering making it open-source once I'm done with it. :D Not sure what would cause me not to, but I try not to speak in absolutes about things unless I've really thought about them fully, and since I'm not near being done with it yet, I haven't pondered this super-thoroughly yet.

There will, however, eventually be more Data abilities running about. :) The Anomaly is not the only odd little problem the Tower is destined to experience.
Ferret

Previous

Return to Feedback and Suggestions