Smoothing cooldowns when acting at abnormal speeds

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Smoothing cooldowns when acting at abnormal speeds

Postby Gaswafers » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:54 pm

If your action speed is anything except 100%, or you have a passive that makes cooldowns tick down faster, some uptime on abilities with cooldowns is wasted. My suggestion for this is to make it so a character can use an ability even if it's on cooldown as long as the remaining time on the cooldown is less than one of that character's full turns(so a 50% speed character can use a cooldown as long as it's below 2 turns). When an ability is used like this, however, the imposed cooldown is stacked on top of the remaining time, so if there was 1 turn left and you use an ability with a 2 turn cooldown, it's on cooldown for 3 turns.
Gaswafers

Re: Smoothing cooldowns when acting at abnormal speeds

Postby Ferret » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Hmm. Lemme think about this one a bit. :) I see what you're saying in terms of the problem, for sure.

I'm going to noodle on it a bit and see if I can come up with a more clear-cut solution: people unaware of the system would probably wonder why they were seeing a cooldown of 3 on a 2-turn cooldown ability. I've been tempted for awhile now to consider trying out tying Cooldowns to Speed... and I've also been trying to get rid of "speed up cooldown" passives and replace them with "reduced cooldown" passives for unrelated reasons but that hasn't been a high priority I admit.
Ferret

Return to Feedback and Suggestions