Transparency of attributes, effects and abilities

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Transparency of attributes, effects and abilities

Postby Galthaar » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Ferret, I love your game and see enourmous potential in it, that´s why I want to suggest some transparency in the abilities such as what a low, medium and high damage skills do, what percentage chances of working evasion and block skills have, etc...

I know this could be a pain to implement, but this would give a huge increment in the strategic aspect while planning characters and demons. Attributes could be better explained too, also the basic attack of each creature could be explicit (are they all impact based?).

Thanks!
Last edited by Galthaar on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galthaar

Re: Transparency of attributes effects and abilities

Postby Ferret » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Hey, welcome Galthaar! :) I was hoping you'd show up, I've seen you a fair bit in the scoreboard. :D I'm glad you're enjoying Demon. :)

And, happily, I can pretty much agree with your first suggestion and request entirely. :) It's rapidly become a priority of mine as well: the last few weeks of suddenly having more than 2 people playing the game (not to mention some things I saw Rogueliker get stuck on during his Let's Play) have made it pretty clear I need to clean up a lot of my descriptions and documentation related to gameplay functionality.

Some parts of this will be easier to do than others, but what I eventually want are:

1) Status effects displayed as icons you can mouse over for tooltips.
2) Specific numbers in ability tooltips for better comparisons.
3) Displaying basic attacks of demons (and no, they aren't all Impact, they vary between Slash, Impact, and Pierce)
4) More clarity on what putting points in stats gets you.

Of those, #2 is probably the most likely to happen quickly, followed by #3 and #4, and then #1. Depending on how quickly I get can get Relics online, I may try to start on one of these during the current build cycle: #2 would just be rewriting text, so that might be a good one to try and fit in. We'll see. :D

Thanks for the feedback. :D Hopefully we'll get some other players posting around here soon. :)
Ferret

Re: Transparency of attributes, effects and abilities

Postby Xavier » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:03 am

I'm definitely all on board with greater transparency, and my personal favorite right now would be #4. As it is, I've sort of ended up feeling like Magic and Cunning are far and away the best stats in the game, but knowing what exactly my investment gets me might give me a chance to try different builds that don't rely so heavily on status effects and unavoidable damage.
Xavier

Postby Ferret » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:23 pm

Between Rogueliker's feedback from his LP, what I've gotten here, and a few nibbles on Reddit, I've pretty much decided the build after relics would be a good one to dedicate to some UI improvements in general. :) #2 + #4 might be the combination that get the most bang for the buck.
Ferret

Postby Yax » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:49 pm

In some cases, it would be nice for things like Hex, Guilt and Pariah to be explained in the ability text as well.
Yax

Postby Ferret » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Yeah, I'm hoping to get to the ability text revamp in the relic build, especially since with all the new possible starter abilities, players will potentially be exposed to many more mechanics much earlier than before. :) I may not be able to spell out what every status effect does in every ability that uses them due to space in the tooltip box, but I'll try my best.
Ferret

Return to Feedback and Suggestions