Bringing Balance to Relic Upgrades

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Bringing Balance to Relic Upgrades

Postby ayayaya » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:54 am

Some relic upgrades are flat out inferior to other upgrades and are never used. For example, Quick Dismiss is favored over Quick Summon since "Dismissing a demon->Summoning a demon" is more common than "Summoning a demon->Dismissing a demon" and can instantly get an ally out of a bad situation.

Moreover, balancing all the relic upgrades so that they are somewhat equal in power is hard and would limit what a relic upgrade is capable of.

I propose that relic upgrades cost varying amounts of relic points to obtain. A relic point is gained every N levels. This would expand the design possibilities for really powerful relic upgrades and adds another layer to strategy to the game. Players could choose not to spend points to save for an expensive upgrade or gain the immediate benefit of a cheaper one.

Furthermore, adding relic points could prevent certain relic upgrades from being too obsolete in the late game. No one picks up Recycle when they're at Tower:15, but if the relic point cost for Recycle decreased with player level, then it could be a viable option if a player needs a quick injection of credits.

Relic points could play a role in negotiations. (Relic points would have to be somewhat common if this were to happen.)
ayayaya

Re: Bringing Balance to Relic Upgrades

Postby geminimax » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:50 am

Expanding on the relic points thing, it would be pretty cool if you could get these from heroes/summoners and possible player ghosts. Of course the system would need changes, as ayayaya's suggestion mentions.
geminimax

Postby Ferret » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Hmm. :) I think I like this idea. :D

SMT4/SMT4:A actually both do this for their fairly similar systems too, and it seems to work relatively well there, with the exception that for evil reasons both games decided to make Ability Slots something you have to buy with these points. :P

Alright, yes, we'll do it. I will make this part of the second pass for relic upgrades, which is probably not toooo far off the in the future. Even though we're early in the build cycle and I'd normally be more open to adding things into the current build, getting player ghosts in, tested, and done properly, in addition to the first interactables (the searchable corpses you'll find laying around the Tower that sometimes spawn ghosts) is already going to be a pretty tall order for one build. :)
Ferret

Postby mbj » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:51 pm

Also cost negative points for relic downgrades.
mbj

Postby Ferret » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:46 pm

:D Those could be pretty weird/evil... ridiculous things like not being able to summon 3 demons, reducing your stable size below 6, removing the safeguard that prevents Poison/Ignite from killing inactive demons, etc. :D
Ferret

Return to Feedback and Suggestions