An option to disable OP demons

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

An option to disable OP demons

Postby Sandman25 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:11 pm

I have just met level 5 modified demon and I am only level 3 myself despite clearing everything I could. Is it possible to add an option like "Never create overleveled demons"? Currently it makes the game less fun for me, getting the demon feels almost like cheating and I cannot ignore the demon since it will attack me anyway.
Sandman25

Re: An option to disable OP demons

Postby Ferret » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:18 pm

Huh. Funny enough, I have been considering making it so you can recruit overleveled demons, but not summon them until you reach their level. (You could still, if this happened, Copy Ability, Fuse them, etc. Only Summon would be locked out. Also, such a demon would not gain levels until you caught up.) The restriction would probably be waived for uniques, since capturing those is usually pretty difficult, especially if underleveled.

That said.. while I can understand the broader point when the level difference is large, as it can be with say, Shoggoth in the Anomaly, 2 levels isn't that big of an edge: only about 15% or so. It's not nothing, but it isn't the +30-40% you can get from the others.

Unfortunately, the specific method you propose would be pretty tricky to do. It would be difficult to filter encounters based on level at time of spawning without some unfortunate consequences largely due to the fact I never planned on doing that when I designed them. Some zones would be reduced to almost no encounters depending on how tight that was adhered to. This could be fixed of course... by basically re-designing all the encounter charts.

Tell you though. I've been meaning to open up a new forum section where I basically post about what's on my mind and see what everyone thinks about it. Sort of a Suggestion box in reverse? :D Lemme see if I can remember how to make a new forum and get that opened up, I'll make this one of the topics in it. I've heard other players (wizarrrgh most recently) make comments of a similar nature to this before, I'd rather discuss it in a more visible place. :D
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:24 pm

Ok, thank you.
I decided to capture the demon and tried my luck (basically on my last turn I needed to kill 2 almost dead demons and thus complete the link or die if unlucky because I was almost dead too), it was funny moment (despite I died). I wouldn't play this way vs XL 3 demon of course.
Looks like start-scumming a bit.
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:51 pm

I've made the new forum and made a topic about this there. :) Could you post a message in reply to it when you get a chance so I can make sure I have it setup properly? Thanks!
Ferret

Postby mbj » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:40 am

If despawning/filtering overleveled demons out is too messy, I think the easiest way to program this would just be to prevent linking with the higher leveled demon, since Sandman's issue is that it makes the game too easy, not too hard. "The foo is in no condition to talk!" or whatever the flavor text is, like when the foo is afflicted by a status. Unless I read this wrong and he meant that the game is cheating :lol:
mbj

Postby Ferret » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:15 pm

A total ban on recruitment would make the underleveled player issue mentioned in the other thread even worse though. :( It would also preclude you from using its recruitment mechanics to help manage the encounter (which is a valid tactic, and sometimes vital when dealing with out of depth encounters.)
Ferret

Return to Feedback and Suggestions