Display monster's HP and SP in tooltip

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Display monster's HP and SP in tooltip

Postby Sandman25 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:20 pm

It takes unnecessary time to check monster's HP and SP, player should press x, move mouse pointer to the monster, left-click and then find HP/SP rows in monster description. The operation happens often when you are trying to make enemies run out of SP. It would be nice to see HP and SP in bottom right corner tooltip which currently displays name, HP status (heavily wounded etc.), level and resists. Checking packs of Ukobachis etc. wwould be much easier.
Displaying HP is useful when you are trying to find out how much damage you or your allies deal with different attacks.

Edit. Oops, sorry, I meant to post it in suggestions forum.
Sandman25

Re: Display monster's HP and SP in tooltip

Postby Ferret » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:47 pm

No worries, moved it for you. :)

I admit the "massively wounded" nonsense is yet another case where I blindly copied a roguelike tropes without actually thinking it through. :P I'm only rarely guilty of that, but this is one of those cases, and like most of the others, it's turning out to not be such a great thing. (Still not as bad as copying and trying to then salvage the ability to go back to previous dungeon floors was. Ugh.)

I've put it on the list to change out for a HP/SP display (it isn't like the information is secret anyway), but in the meantime, it might be easier to just right-click on demons to open their sheets directly instead of going through 'x' (which is really only useful if you don't have a mouse.)
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:50 pm

Thank you!
I cannot believe I pressed so many unnecessary 'x' :)
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:13 pm

It's one of those UI fights I haven't figured out how to win yet. :P

Remove the button: Nobody knows how to examine creatures. :(

Have the button: People use the button even if they have a mouse and could just right-click. :(

Spam the message log about how to examine creatures: Nobody reads the message log anyway (partly my fault for filling it with nonsense, the fixing of which is yet another UI task I need to get to someday)

No matter how I do or don't talk about examining creatures, there's always something that doesn't go quite right. :P

To clarify: None of the above is the fault of users. My first rule of UI design is that it is never the user's fault... though I admit I sometimes forget this in darker moments. :D But yeah, you're not the first person to over-use the 'x' button, I just haven't figured out a way to prevent that without going back to the bad old days where some people never knew you could do it at all. :(
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:22 pm

I think there is one way to fix it. When trying to click a monster in 'x' mode, you can display a message like "You can right-click on a monster in standard mode to examine it" and "Don't show again" checkbox. So players like me will switch to rightclicking and players who prefer to use x and left-click can just toggle that checkbox once and never see the message again.
Sandman25

Postby mbj » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:51 am

Please don't make the mouse do stuff that the keyboard can't. I'm a hardcore real roguelike player and I only play ASCII roguelikes with hjklbyun keys for movement. Also it took me forever before I figured out you could view modfiers' ability lists by right clicking on it in a demon's details. Also let 'x' display info for items on the ground, I might've asked for this before. Currently, item info is only displayed by hovering over it with a mouse, while e[x]amine does nothing. It also doesn't display the tooltip info on demons while the mouse does.
mbj

Postby Ferret » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:10 pm

My goal is to keep them both able to do everything, but we aren't completely there yet I admit. I have specifically added your notes about modifier ability lists and examining items to the "things to fix in the UI" list though. :)
Ferret

Return to Feedback and Suggestions