Problems with strength changes

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Problems with strength changes

Postby Akyote » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:37 am

I feel like the new strength changes have hit Hand of Dead too hard. I started ice and had really high magic but low str, with a melee range move, so I was taking tons of damage from melee. Most of my level up points went to str to try and reduce this, because of this I had absolutely horrible agility and missed half the time, and because I couldn't tank hits at all it made recruiting certain demons extremely difficult (Actaeon, Asrai), the latter of which I couldn't even get due to not being able to take hits from peasants, and not having enough demons to fall back on to tank for me.
Akyote

Re: Problems with strength changes

Postby Ferret » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:48 am

Hey. :D Welcome to the forum Akyote. :)

Yeah, I had a feeling this might happen... the Strength change was always going to be a little tricky for "melee mage" builds like Hand of the Dead encourages. In theory, a melee mage should be able to pump Vitality instead so they don't have to "waste" points on Strength, but even if this is done it will put them at a disadvantage compared to previous builds that didn't penalize them for low Strength.

But, on the flip side of things, a "melee mage" always has the option of subbing in ranged attacks and heals, whereas a physical melee has a very limited options for alternatives by comparison. I feel like the Strength change does an overall good job of compensating for that.

So, while I'm not sure I want to change how Strength works again to fix this... I do agree "melee mages" might have tumbled into a rougher spot than I'd have liked. If I want them to remain a thing and don't want to tweak Strength back, they're going to need something that makes the concept worthwhile in the face of the higher damage they take... but, it will need to be something that isn't easy taken advantage of by normal mages, or we're right back where we started.

Then again, there are early signs the Strength changes may have also given too much of a boost to melees. If that ends up proving true, an easy fix would be to simply diminish the effect of Strength on damage taken in general. It's still too early to have certain data, but I'm keeping an eye out.

Thanks for the feedback. :D I hope you've been enjoying your time in the tower. :)
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:54 am

Hmm... the easiest way of handling that might be with changes to the "melee mage" attack abilities themselves. Since being good at Magic does, at least in theory, imply a certain fragility due to the Strength changes, there is room to possibly buff these abilities, since it won't be a buff to normal magic use and since Magic as an entire set of abilities is no longer on top of the power curve.

Granted, you will still take more damage than a physical melee under that plan, the idea would be that melee magic itself gives you some advantage worth that trouble. Lemme think on this for a few and get back with a bit more detail. :D If you have some suggestions of your own, feel free to add them here too. :D
Ferret

Postby geminimax » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:24 pm

Well, melee mages do have frost armor and auraward which are amazing abilities, although a bit situational. I wouldn't be against similar new abilities that focus on conditional defenses.
geminimax

Return to Feedback and Suggestions