Ability design space

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Ability design space

Postby Gaswafers » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:58 am

There are a few types of abilities that I have been wondering would have a chance of eventually appearing in this game, or if they violate some sort of design goal you have:
-A repeatable ability that does nothing but restore SP to the user and use up a turn.
-Abilities that cost 100 SP to use.
-An unresistable element, or unresistable damage in some other form.
-An ability that reduces the endure cooldown.
-A passive that grants global speed
Gaswafers

Re: Ability design space

Postby Ferret » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:31 am

Oh hey, and welcome to the forum. :D I hope you're enjoying Demon. :D

A standing SP restorer is probably pretty likely at some point. :)

100 SP abilities might be a bit tricky: the AI would have to be able to intelligently use them too, which can be very tricky with all-or-nothing abilities since it will be bad if a player ally uses one at a time the player feels like it shouldn't have, or holds back on it when the player wishes they wouldn't.

New elements, including possibly an "almighty" type like you suggest, is on the table. :D

There actually is an ability that reduces the Endure cooldown, though it is a rare one: Unconquerable. Each time you take damage, your Endure cooldown drops by 1 turn. :D I think a certain unique in the upper half of the Tower is the most reliable source of this ability.

A passive that grants global speed is definitely possible, though it may be a fairly small increase if it isn't conditioned in some way.

Thanks for the suggestions. :D
Ferret

Postby LuckyLuckLuc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:29 pm

ON the topic of unresistable elements, is vital... something... grasp..... unresistable?

It is marked as a debuff skill that deals dmg. Never really used it.
LuckyLuckLuc

Postby Ferret » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:34 pm

Vitiating Grasp? It shouldn't say it deals damage, it doesn't. :D It's just a really nasty melee-range debuff.

Debuffs are somewhat unresistable though: nothing ever has Debuff resistance specifically, though a high Vitality score or significant level advantage will help.
Ferret

Postby Gaswafers » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:43 pm

A condition for passive global speed could be "only works if breath isn't on cooldown", but maybe it would be too cruel to bar battle dancers from a speed ability like that.

Regarding 100 SP abilities, if it's an ability that any demon who has would want to always use when available, then the AI wouldn't be a problem. But that has potential issues: any demon that has it would be built around either amplifying the power of the ability, or built around regaining SP for quick repeated use of the ability. Though that design might turn out to be not bad. This is without even getting into the things a 100 SP ability would actually do. The inherent "bursty" nature of expensive abilities can easily make them anti-player.
Gaswafers

Postby Gaswafers » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:31 am

I have two more questions:
What stat would boost the damage from almighty type damage if it were added?
Is adding more abilities really important? I saw you saying that you'd like each game to be more different, so it might help with that. If more abilities are a priority, what kind of abilities do you need the most(in terms of enabling current strategies or creating new ones)?
Gaswafers

Postby Ferret » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:46 am

Almighty, if it became a thing, would probably either have two flavors (Strength-based and Magic-based), or which it used would depend on the ability. I'd probably go with the former, since it would be easier for players to track.

Adding more abilities is important. :D But, lots of other things are too... and there are already a whole lot of abilities. :) No particular category of need is really ahead of the others, at the moment: I'm always happy to add abilities that might lead to new builds, or which support current ones. :D
Ferret

Return to Feedback and Suggestions