Turn off warning for friendly fire

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Turn off warning for friendly fire

Postby LuckyLuckLuc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:04 am

Are you able to turn off the warning when you are about to hit a friendly target? WOuld be a nice feature if it isn't already present
LuckyLuckLuc

Re: Turn off warning for friendly fire

Postby Ferret » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:08 am

That doesn't exist currently, no. :) It'd be easy enough to add, but out of curiosity, what's the situation where you're doing that, but are okay with doing it and don't want the warning?
Ferret

Postby LuckyLuckLuc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:32 am

Using a ranged piercing attack (forgot the name) and my wisp is often behind the target cuz of ghost pierce. It is a bit awkward to hit Y all the time, if enter would confirm then that would help
LuckyLuckLuc

Postby Ferret » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:45 am

Ah, okay. :) That makes sense. Given that particular warning is fairly minor compared to the other related ones, I think the solution here might be to add an option to exclude that specific type of warning: the case of "if you miss your original target, you may hit your ally." (It's minor because it only has a relative low chance of happening. The typical hit rate is around 85% after all!)

I could add Enter to clear.. but these warnings are actually an odd case where I *want* it to be awkward to dismiss. :D They're supposed to grab you by the nose and say "HEY LISTEN ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS IT MIGHT NOT BE A GOOD IDEA". The problem is that, in this case, it's only a mildly unsafe move (and only ~15% of the time at that), not something worth grabbing someone's nose over necessarily.

Anyway, yeah. :D Next version will have an option to turn this particular warning off. :) Thanks for the suggestion and feedback. :D
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Another solution is to add "." command for targeting mode like is done in DCSS. Then the missile/spell would not travel beyond target tile so friendlies were absolutely safe and didn't trigger any warnings.
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:19 pm

I could... but that particular option in DCSS has always felt weird to me. How do you stop an arrow 1/2 way to its maximum range? I guess you're firing at the floor at that position... but wouldn't that be easy to dodge? :? And does that work at all if the target is flying?

That said, I do actually enable that behavior on some projectiles in Demon, usually any that have an area effect explosion.
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:57 pm

This is in pretty much as I described: A new option exists that determines whether or not you receive "reckless fire" warnings for aiming a projectile at a target with allies behind it.

Worth noting: Even if this is turned off, you will still be warned if the "reckless fire" could potentially cause a capture objective in progress to fail (such as by hitting a target that turns friendly during the capture attempt.) I figure even though the chance is still low that it will actually happen, it's serious enough to still warn over, even when the warning is turned off in other cases.

Also: Apparently my default target suggestion code, if these warnings are disabled, will begin selecting "reckless" shots as possible default target positions. :P I'm letting this go as a pleasant side-effect for now (after all, if you don't want to be warned over them, presumably you also don't want the targeting UI to avoid them), but if it becomes a problem I can look into disabling this.

Thanks again for the suggestion and feedback. :)
Ferret

Return to Feedback and Suggestions