Terrain and level themes

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Terrain and level themes

Postby mbj » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:56 am

I just realized what big things Demon is missing: terrain and level themes (not sure if theme is the best word for it)! Take for example all the terrain and obstacles in DCSS: doors, shallow/deep water, plants/fungi, lava, trees, clouds, transparent walls, and other stuff I might be forgetting. These all add another level of tactics to combat (in the form of positioning) and can make each level seem more unique. As of right now, there aren't really any terrain features other than floors, walls, and portals. Also, each level could be shaped in certain ways to make each level more unique compared to the rest (having open levels, narrow corridor levels, room based levels, water heavy levels, and so on). I think lacking these features is a major reason why each level of the tower (and every area WITHIN each level) feels and looks practically the same.

In addition to making levels more "fresh", terrain can interact with certain demons and skills in interesting ways. Some situations that might arise are flying demons being able to fly right over water without being impeded, using shallow water to hinder land demons, lava melting ice attacks, pounce attacks being able to leap over obstacles, smite-targeted skills gaining extra utility when paired with obstacles that don't block line of sight, and so on.

Adding terrain could also serve as the basis for new skills that interact with or modify terrain, like digging, plant growth, freezing water, creating "shadows" (dark clouds) that can impede LOS and light attacks, or using a light skill to extend LOS. Some of these potential interactions might take away from Demon's encounter-based combat system (although they could still be very useful in combat). I'm not sure what your design goal with Demon is, so maybe allowing out of combat actions isn't on your agenda.

Anyway, I think adding different types of terrain and different types of floors would make levels more interesting and help improve the replayability of the game.
mbj

Re: Terrain and level themes

Postby Ferret » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:36 pm

This sort of thing is on the list, so to speak. :D But, part of the tricky part of Demon is that this sort of stuff is more expensive here than it is in most other roguelikes, where the player is the only one who has to be smart about using terrain for the most part. In Demon's case, the AI has to be able to use it well too, or folks will get very grumpy with their allies very quickly. :)

Terrain goodies are coming at some point. :) Just a question of when. Most likely, when they start coming online, they'll start coming online one or two at a time. Water is probably the one I'll start with first, since I already have an idea how to code that one AI-wise. It will probably come around at the same time I add character traits (which will include things like Aquatic, Flying, etc.)
Ferret

Postby mbj » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Okay, cool. I just didn't see anyone else suggest this, so I'm just putting it on record :D
mbj

Postby Ferret » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:27 pm

It gets "suggested" pretty often in that Demon is often criticized in random forums across the internet for having boring levels. :D But, the problem is a bit trickier to solve in Demon's gaze, and was/is irrelevant until I'm sure I have the core gameplay right anyway. :D Alpha game is very alpha. :)
Ferret

Return to Feedback and Suggestions