Too high XL in Tower 1 & 1/2

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Too high XL in Tower 1 & 1/2

Postby Sandman25 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:08 pm

I've got a modified Ghoul in Tower 1 & 1/2. It's OP because I am only level 2 and it is level 7, it kills everything on its own. Probably it should not be that high level provided its link makes it friendly.

Code: Select all
Name : Solid Ghoul
Level: 7
MaxHP: 67
MaxSP: 100

Strength: 16
Magic   : 5
Vitality: 33
Agility : 16
Cunning : 15

Immune: Body
Resist: Ice
Weak  : Fire Mind Light

Abilities Known:
1) Numbing Bite (Type: Pierce, 15 SP. 70 Power attack. Has a 35% chance to inflict Paralysis, causing the target to frequently miss their turns.)
2) Pounce (Type: Slash, 15 SP. Must target a character. Leap to the target with a 70 Power attack. Inflicts Stun, causing the target to miss their next turn. Cooldown: Charge (6))
3) Flesheater (Type: Body, Reactive. Responds to an adjacent character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 15% of their maximum HP.)
4) Choking Veil (Type: Body, Reactive. 50% chance to delay the next turn of adjacent characters that deal damage to you.)
5) Stone Stance (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 15% chance to block Slash, Impact, Pierce, Fire, Ice, and Electricity attacks if your last action was not movement.)
6) Block Physical (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 20% chance to block Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks.)
7) Block Slash (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 33% chance to block Slash attacks.)
8) Souleater (Type: Dark, Reactive. Responds to a visible character's death by draining them, healing yourself for 7% of their maximum HP.)
Sandman25

Re: Too high XL in Tower 1 & 1/2

Postby geminimax » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:00 pm

I think it's part of a new system ferret mentioned about rare encounters. This and the shoggoth in the anomaly. I kind of like it, it makes both an interesting encounter and an powerful ally that is not terribly overpowered.
geminimax

Postby Sandman25 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Sorry, I believe it is terribly OP. At least with the abilities it got in my game:
Code: Select all
5) Stone Stance (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 15% chance to block Slash, Impact, Pierce, Fire, Ice, and Electricity attacks if your last action was not movement.)
6) Block Physical (Type: Defense, Passive. Provides a 20% chance to block Slash, Impact, and Pierce attacks.)
Sandman25

Postby geminimax » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:43 pm

Whoa this is a truly powerful combination of factors!

But i'll still defend ghouls on tower 1 & 1/2. Any game that has randomness on it's core will have the risk of throwing unbalanced situations at the player. I'm not sure about what are the chances of such skillset occurring specifically on a ghoul, but i'll bet they're very slim. Besides, it's almost certain that you'll lose headless, which is another very powerful demon, in the process of recruiting the ghoul so it's a fair trade-off.
geminimax

Postby Sandman25 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:09 pm

Sorry, maybe I used bad wording for the problem. I am absolutely fine with Ghouls being in Tower 1 & 1/2, I am not fine with any demons who are 5 levels higher than me and can become allied after activating link. Me and all my demons were XL 2 (except XL 3 Kasha who was recruited on the same floor too) and had below 40 max HP when I activated the link and got a friendly demon of XL 7 with 67 max HP fighting on my side. And it did not even count against 3-max-summoned-demons limit.

Yes, I lost Headless but who needs Headless with such demons? :)
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:29 am

So.. I half agree. :D

The high level demons rarely showing up in low level areas, I like. :)

But... I agree that the "help me kill stuff" mechanic is one that doesn't actually make things harder on you when you're underleveled. I've been noodling on how to address that, but I haven't hit on a good idea yet.
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:45 am

Maybe use the same mechanic as for Centaur link (no summons) if XL difference is too high? It will not be OP I think.
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:57 am

Hmm.. maybe, but even that one will still be easier if the demon itself is higher level.
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:44 am

Ferret wrote:Hmm.. maybe, but even that one will still be easier if the demon itself is higher level.

I don't know. I didn't even consider activating Centauri link, for example. It seems like suicide no matter what character I am.
Sandman25

Postby Shadowdweller » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:48 pm

Sandman25 wrote:
Ferret wrote:Hmm.. maybe, but even that one will still be easier if the demon itself is higher level.

I don't know. I didn't even consider activating Centauri link, for example. It seems like suicide no matter what character I am.
The link gives you both heroism which provides some very impressive bonuses. It's not suitable every character, certainly, but it's a lot easier than you might think.
Shadowdweller

Next

Return to Feedback and Suggestions