Ability ideas

Have feedback or suggestions for Demon? Talk about it here!

Re: Ability ideas

Postby Bormoth » Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 am

Hmm had random idea while thinking about pros and cons of fading vs expiring status effects.
Maybe some status effects which start strong but than fade away as their duration expires(usually fixed so strong resistance makes debuff worse quicker) based on resistance to status effect. They always applied unless they come from passives.

Though maybe the idea of agility and constitution reducing respective fading speed and whole fading status effects for buffs/debuffs would feel better.
Bormoth

Postby Ferret » Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Petrify will work sort of like this, probably: initially it won't have the full effect, but if it sticks around long enough it becomes actual petrification (pretty much exactly how it works in DCSS, or at least, how it worked the last time I played DCSS.)
Ferret

Postby Bormoth » Mon May 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Ferret wrote:Petrify will work sort of like this, probably: initially it won't have the full effect, but if it sticks around long enough it becomes actual petrification (pretty much exactly how it works in DCSS, or at least, how it worked the last time I played DCSS.)

This is also interesting idea, though this is not fading but growing getting strength. I dunno if it is valuable buff for player, unless it is sorta like deadly poison which gains strength and deals more damage for player, or aoe slow(this one seems too decimating). What is for player 5-10 turn clock(Oh my god I'm gonna die), but from enemy NPC point of view it is meh, you kill me faster. Just situations not equal.

What I ment is let's say charm it has 5 turn clock. And you have 10% of resistance based on resistances/stats(Agi for attunuated and con, considered pretty high),
So each time chance to prevent someone from acting turn my turn would be 100%,90%,80%,70%,60%,50%. This is main reason is 10% is pretty high value.
Another way is let ability last until it fades out, but it seems bad solution for all skills because a each skill would need an additional stat to determine condition strength(basicaly how fast it detoriates) and second a lot of processing time for pretty much useless effects.
---
It is just food for thought, opportunity to play with mechanics.
Bormoth

Postby 2tousent » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 am

I don't know if you want to avoid this but it would be cool to have abilities that trigger off different elements, not working mutually like dark/light or physical but more of a tool too open up party synergies.

The intention is for them to be sparce, like only a single ability, but to be nice to have if your demons have matching elements.

(don't mind the names too much)

1- Spark Up: Damages an enemy and has a chance of Igniting it for an unusually long duration if it is Shocked.

2- Frozen Conductor: Electricity attacks deal more damage to Chilled enemies. (i just realized this is a bad idea as ice is a not a good conductor, but it's just a way a similar mechanic could work)

3- Paralyzing Fear: Chance to Paralyze an enemy if it is in Panic.

4- Etc... (Thermic Shock, Poison Ignition, Aphrodisiac Venom...)
2tousent

Postby Ferret » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:22 am

:D This hits one of those things that'll probably be a bit frustrating.

There are certain mechanics I have come up with, but purposefully put in my pocket rather than using, so that I can introduce them later. :) Cross-elemental stuff is such a category. :D

That said, the Matter build will actually be adding a little of this...

Thanks for the suggestions. :)
Ferret

Previous

Return to Feedback and Suggestions