AI priority bug?

Found a bug? Great! Post about it here!

AI priority bug?

Postby Sandman25 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:19 pm

My Freybug applied Hinder to enemy Slime and then together with my own Slime was attacking it during several turns.
After getting heavily wounded the freybug was unsummoned and immediately summoned again 4 tiles away from the enemy to apply Hinder which timed out on the enemy slime.
And then this heavily wounded Freybug with 13/32 HP and 100 SP is moving to the enemy during several turns instead of applying Hinder. The enemy Slime is still attacked by my Slime.
Sandman25

Re: AI priority bug?

Postby Ferret » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:21 pm

Hmm... probably what happened here was the Freybug decided the Slime was near enough to death where it didn't want to bother reapplying the debuff at that late stage of the fight.

But, you do raise a good point that maybe when the caster is low health, even these actions should take priority over advancing. (Indeed, figuring out a good advancing and maybe a good retreating AI is probably one of the main gaps left in the current AI.)
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:37 pm

Also it was 4 tiles away from target. If it believes that the enemy will be dead next turn, it still should not advance to it.

Enemy slime had reshape, probably the decision should be reconsidered every turn (if it's not too costly).
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:58 pm

I was assuming it'd used Reshape already if it was at 13 HP and had already lost the Hinder debuff from earlier in the fight. :D

Even with a nearly dead enemy, the AI wants to do useful things. One of the base assumptions is that if you have a demon summoned, there is something you want it to be doing. :D I'll add a note to tweak how the AI behaves about low-priority debuffing vs. advancing when at iffy health though, that would make a wounded Freybug debuff (even if it things this isn't a strong move) rather than advance.
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:29 pm

It was the Freybug who had 13 HP, not the enemy slime. Though the Slime got almost killed at some point too.
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:34 pm

Oh, whoops. I misread that. :P But, assuming the other Slime was still injured to some degree, the rest of analysis would probably be accurate.
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:43 pm

It looks like the priority is random. I had exactly the same situation in next game (Freybug + Slime vs a Slime) and this time Freybug used Hinder immediately after resummoning and then stayed near me.
Sandman25

Return to Bug Reports