Debian segmentation fault

Found a bug? Great! Post about it here!

Debian segmentation fault

Postby Fingolfin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:40 am

Hi,
I wanted to try Demon after hearing some good things about it, but my computer runs Debian and I do not have access to a Windows machine. I tried to run the given executable and this is the output :
Code: Select all
$ ./Demon.x86_64
Set current directory to /home/pierre/Programs/demon/Demon_5_13_2018_Linux_Build
Found path: /home/pierre/Programs/demon/Demon_5_13_2018_Linux_Build/Demon.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/pierre/Programs/demon/Demon_5_13_2018_Linux_Build/Demon_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/pierre/Programs/demon/Demon_5_13_2018_Linux_Build/Demon_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/pierre/Programs/demon/Demon_5_13_2018_Linux_Build/Demon_Data/Mono/etc'
displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.4
client has 2 screens
displaymanager screen (0)(LVDS1): 1366 x 768
Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs
Segmentation fault

I tried to rm the Unity config files as suggested in the LinuxReadme.txt, but to no effect. What should I try next ?
Fingolfin

Re: Debian segmentation fault

Postby Ferret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:05 am

Hello Fingolfin, and thanks for trying Demon!

Unfortunately, I don't have a Linux box myself, so my ability to help with Linux-specific matters directly is pretty much limited to Googling, hoping a good answer is found, and adding it to the readme in hopes it helps someone else again later.

The only other answer I can usually offer in these cases is running it in a Windows emulator, but most folks aren't too excited about option (and to be honest, I don't blame them, I wish Unity's Linux support was less spotty myself.)

Some Googling seems to suggest that the -force-opengl, -force-glcore32, -force-glcore45 options I present as the answers to the 1st type of problem may actually also help with this one. Did you try those yet?

copypaste of relevant section from readme:

Fix: Try running Demon with one of the following command line options at a time until one works. Which one works for you will probably be system specific, so unfortunately, this trial and error approach is the best solution available:
-force-glcore32
-force-opengl
-force-glcore45
Ferret

Postby Fingolfin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:28 am

Yes the -force-opengl option did the trick, I had immediately dismissed it because it was under the heading "The game runs then crashes" whereas mine didn't run at all.Now it does, thank you very much for your help, I'm excited to try this game.
Fingolfin

Postby Ferret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Awesome. :D I will update the readme to indicate that that solution also works for the problem you ran into. :) Good luck in the Tower!
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 pm

Note: When adding the entry to the Linux readme file, I changed the output you provided slightly, replacing instances of "pierre" with "user" in the directory paths. I believe this strips them of any possible personal information without compromising the output example, but if there are any other changes I should make to that effect, or if you'd rather I not use the output text at all, please let me know. Thanks!
Ferret

Postby Fingolfin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 am

No problem :D
Fingolfin

Return to Bug Reports