shift key

Found a bug? Great! Post about it here!

shift key

Postby jaredcorduan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:45 am

The game doesn't seem to notice my shift key. I first noticed it when I couldn't make capital letters in my character name. No big deal. But after clearing the first level I saw that I couldn't use the stairs...

I'm running the linux build.

I am really enjoying the game so far, great stuff!
jaredcorduan

Re: shift key

Postby Ferret » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:18 am

:( Hmm.

Unfortunately, while I do make Linux builds since they're easy to do w/ Unity, I don't actually have a Linux machine to test them on. That makes issues with it a little tricky to solve, but so far I've had reasonable luck getting them sorted out.

I have a fair number of Linux players and haven't heard of this before, so it may be something unique to your setup. Let's see if we can figure it out. :) Apologies of any of these questions seem "duh" flavored, I'm just going through the list of things that have come up before:

1) Are you using a Qwerty English keyboard, or some other type of keyboard?

2) Does Demon ignore both shift keys?

3) Are there any programs running that might be jumping in front for control of the shift keys?

4) Have the shift keys not worked in any other programs before?

5) Finally, could you tell me what Linux OS and version you're using too?

Thanks for the report, and I'm glad you're enjoying the game. :D Hopefully we can get this resolved ASAP, Tower:2-17 are much more exciting than Tower:1. :)
Ferret

Postby time » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:15 am

Hey, first of all congrats for the game! It looks really nice alredy :)

I have encountered a similar problem, i'm not sure its the same. When i press the > with or without shift, it opens the scoreboard for me. Also the ? key doesn't seem to work either, however i have no problem with capital letters.

I'm using the Windows build, a regular QWERTY keyboard. My keyboard layout is in Spanish (maybe that's the problem?) And i have tried running the game with no other programs on the background, and still got the same bug. I have also tryed both shift keys and nothing.

Thanks for your time, and let me know if i can help you somehow :)
time

Postby Ferret » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:26 pm

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

Yeah, your problem is one I've seen before. :) Try Shift + period or Shift + comma. :D Those should work for < or > on a Spanish keyboard layout. Let me know if they don't know though, and we'll work out something else. :)
Ferret

Postby jaredcorduan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:06 pm

Thank you for the reply! If I'm the only person to be having this trouble then perhaps it's something about my setup. I do have a mac book I can play on, I just figured I'd mention it in case others were having the issue.

1. I do use a qwerty keyboard, and in fact I've tested 3 and they all have the same issue.
2. It is both shift keys.
3. Maybe something is jumping in front of the shift key, but I don't know how I could find that out...
4. As far as I can remember, the shift keys have always worked.
5. I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu, 15.04.

I do type in dvorak, but I make the change in Ubuntu's system settings. I've tried playing Demon in qwerty and have the same issue.

Anyway, if a solution doesn't immediately show itself, I'd say it's not worth spending any time on if I'm the only person with this issue. You have much better things to do. :)

Thanks again!
jaredcorduan

Postby Ferret » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:33 pm

Hmm.. if the shift key is working for other things, that disqualifies everything Google was able to suggest for me, but if you want a look anyway, I've got those links here. Again, these all seem to be for cases where the shift key is being universally disabled, not just for Unity games, so I suspect their value will be limited.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/195982

http://askubuntu.com/questions/604466/r ... ot-working (the original thread doesn't really apply since it was about a hardware issue, but the 1 answer that was given mentions some Accessibility options that affect keyboard behavior?)

I'm glad you have another way to play at least. :D I'd still like to work on getting it fixed or figured out though, you may be the only one who's talking to me about it, but I could see "non functional shift key" as being an "uninstall immediately" level offense. Granted, if it is some kind of system specific thing, there may not be much I can do anyway. Bleh. :P
Ferret

Postby time » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Hey, thank you for your quick answer.

The shift + . and shift + , trick worked for me!
However, it would nice to 'fix' it, because i can see newer players getting stuck in the first floor and losing interest in the game, but i understand that this bug isn't a priority, just something to consider.

Again, thank you and good luck with your game :D
time

Postby Ferret » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:41 pm

Yeah, I definitely need to figure out what I'm going to do about this bug. :/ It is coming up more and more often, and so far always with Spanish layouts.

I'm hesitant to hack out a quick fix for that since I feel like this must either be happening often or I'm doing something wrong system-wide that makes Demon vulnerable. But, I may have to do the hack fix for now while I research the real one.
Ferret

Postby jaredcorduan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:30 am

I think I've found found a big piece of the puzzle, thanks to your suggestion #3. In fact my dvorak habit is a bit culpable. :oops:

In Ubuntu you can use key-combos to switch between keyboard layouts. I have it set so that R-Shift+L-Shift switches between dvorak an qwerty. If I instead use something without a shift key, like tab+caps, then the issue goes away. So it's probably a pretty rare situation: ubuntu users with multiple keyboard layouts.

I'll have to find another Unity game that makes use of shift and report back. I'm curious how I've never run into this before...
jaredcorduan

Postby Ferret » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:47 am

Don't be too hard on yourself. :) You took the time to investigate and help me figure it out, and that's awesome. :D Even if it turns out it's on your end, at least I know something to suggest next time. And if it turns out to be something I can fix, so much the better. :D
Ferret

Return to Bug Reports