Nothing but black screen

Found a bug? Great! Post about it here!

Nothing but black screen

Postby oneeyedjoe » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Not really a bug, more like malfunction, but my laptop crashed while I was playing Demon and now when I try to launch the game there is just a black screen after startup. (I am not blaming your game for giving my laptop a heart attack btw, it likes to crash every once in a while). I can't continue my run nor can I start a new one, pls halp.
oneeyedjoe

Re: Nothing but black screen

Postby Ferret » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Ooof.. if it happened to crash while it was trying to auto-save your game, you might be hosed. :( Send me the Save folder zipped up via e-mail ( ferretdev.org at gmail.com ) or via a link on Dropbox or something and I'll see if there's any salvaging it when I get home from work tonight.

Hmm.. maybe I can think of a way to secure against this better... but most of the easy ways I think of off the top of my head seem like they'd be a massive slow down for fighting a very rare occurrence.

If you get impatient, simply delete the Save folder and you should be able to start a new game. If that doesn't work, kill off Records too. :P

Edit: At the very least, I should probably have something to handle the case of corrupted data. :) Not sure it will make it into the current build, but I've added it to the list.
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Created and shared save folder on dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zebcfe7r0z9u ... XF_Ka?dl=0 I was on 12th tower when crash happened
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:42 pm

I get a "The Owner Hasn't Granted You Access To This Link" error at that page :(
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Ugh I thought I made it public, well I sent zip file on your email.
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:51 pm

That I got. :) Thank you!
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:53 pm

I hope you'll be able to fix it, it was very promising run :cry:
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:00 pm

Crap, I don't even have to check at home I think. :( Multiple files are entirely null characters (Messages.xml, and most alarmingly Tower_12_Data.xml); It is extremely unlikely I will be able to do anything to restore this level of corruption. :(

I'm forced to revert back to my secondary suggestion of just deleting the Save and Records folders and starting over. My sincere apologies, in particular since I realize your laptop's random crashing means this could well happen again. :(

For my part, I will see if I can think of a reasonable way to secure against this possibility in the future, but I admit it's somewhat out of my usual area of engineering expertise so a solution may not come as quick as I'd like.

Thank you for the report and for sending the save file, I appreciate it. I wish I could have done more to help.
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:04 pm

Aww, that sucks, but deleting save files helped
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:07 pm

It's lame, but you could do periodic manual backups of the Save and Records folders, of course. :(

I don't like to admit it publicly often, but Demon isn't very aggressive in defending against people using backups of save data, so at least in the current version, this won't cause you any problems other than the annoyance of having to do it. :P
Ferret

Return to Bug Reports