Itty Bitty Baby Bug

Found a bug? Great! Post about it here!

Itty Bitty Baby Bug

Postby wizzzargh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:25 pm

A PREDATOR ON THE VERGE OF DEATH
CLOSE TO ITS LAST BREATH

h'anyway, during the super long Ignite duration from failed Chaos links, once I reached some HP threshold, I could not move with the mouse at all- not even single steps.

I'm assuming this is because mouseclicks , even to adjacent squares are in 'safe autoexplore mode' so it won't walk you to your doom if you accidentally click the side of the screen while on fire. But since Chaos Ignite lasts long enough to burn you to death twice, I guess the game becomes overly concerned for your well being even if you aren't in any real danger?

It's a pretty incredibly niche UI thing but whatevs

Edit: I was being pursued by a Gi that's offscreen behind that corner, so it could be related to fake line of sight if the 'Verge Of Death' message stems from being 'in combat' maybe?
wizzzargh

Re: Itty Bitty Baby Bug

Postby Ferret » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:49 pm

This one looks tasty. :D Don't suppose you have the save file handy? :D

Either way, I'll look into it. :) Thanks for the report!

Edit: Oh wait: It was "cannot move with the mouse" not "cannot move at all". :D That I may not need a save file for, but I'll take it if you've got it. :D
Ferret

Postby wizzzargh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Welp, I've already forgotten how I delivered my save file to you last time, but I sent an email with the zipped save files to Ferretdev.org@gmail.com in case you need it :?:
wizzzargh

Postby Ferret » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:46 pm

That works. :D Thank you!
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:58 pm

Oh yeah, this one is really annoying. Same can happen with poison debuff. Thankfully, while you can't move in that state, you still can summon/desummon your allies to skip turns or, in case of crown of glory, attack empty slots or use items from your inventory. Also sometimes your allies decide to feel on the verge of death and game forces you to dismiss them, even if they still have some hp left and are not in immediate danger.
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:31 pm

It should still be possible to move with the keyboard controls at least: if this is not the case, please let me know. :D

The only reason mouse movement doesn't work is that, at the moment, all mouse movement commands outside of combat (in the current version) gets treated like auto-travel, and auto-travel isn't allowed when you have Poison/Ignite and lowish HP, for yourself or any ally.
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Can confirm moving with keyboard is possible.
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:50 pm

k. :) Don't worry, still plan to fix it for mouse... though, the fix is probably going to be "you get to move one step and then it complains". I'm a little hesitant to disable the protection entirely: dying because you clicked the map while Ignited/Poisoned is probably a "throw your computer out the window" moment :P
Ferret

Postby oneeyedjoe » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:11 pm

http://imgur.com/a/JWLwg just a friendly reminder on how annoying this is. Guess what, poison worn off as soon as I broke the link :D
oneeyedjoe

Postby Ferret » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:14 pm

:P I know, I know. As a rule, I usually only do new builds for bugs if the bug is massively, Massively gamebreakingly bad. Annoying and occasional doesn't rise to that level. :)

Though, still not sure how much of a fix I want to do here: I will definitely get it so you can move with mouse to some degree while Ignited/Poisoned at low HP... but it's probably going to have to stay a little annoying just to prevent people from clicking themselves to death by accident. :P I'm leaning towards the pattern being 1st Click -> "HEY YOUR GONNA DIE", 2nd Click -> Fine, 1 turn of movement, 3rd Click -> "HEY YOUR GONNA DIE", 4th Click = 1 turn of movement, etc. It's still going to be annoying if you're actively trying to ignore it, but I can live with an annoyance if it prevents "throw the computer out the window" moments like clicking the map and dying because it spends 7 turns immediately trying to move you there. :P
Ferret

Next

Return to Bug Reports