Linux x86_64 Build Crashing

Found a bug? Great! Post about it here!

Linux x86_64 Build Crashing

Postby nikheizen » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:59 pm

I downloaded the Linux release build yesterday to try out the new version on my new system.

After extracting it, it would run fine and I played the first few dungeon levels with no problems.

After turning off my computer and coming back today to continue my run, the game would start using huge amounts of CPU/Memory, then crash and prevent me from doing anything with my computer after crashing (when run in terminal via a shell script, the process would not exit, so even though I've lost the window, the game is still using resources).

I'm using Lubuntu Xenial 16.04 (64 bit). Is there anything I might be missing?

Of note is that the x86 build seems to work completely fine. I am certain that I used the x86_64 build yesterday when I ran it.
nikheizen

Re: Linux x86_64 Build Crashing

Postby Ferret » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:13 pm

Hey, thanks for playing, and sorry you're having trouble with it. :( Let's see if we can get it sorted out!

A couple of questions first. :D

1) Does the huge CPU/memory issue happen immediately on start up for the 64bit version, or after some time?

2) Can you put a .zip of Demon's Save directory up on Dropbox or GDrive for me to take a look at?

Thanks. :)
Ferret

Postby nikheizen » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:22 pm

The resource usage happens after 10-20 turns of play it seems. Not sure if its consistent in terms of time, I don't really like testing as I have to reboot my computer each time.

Is mega or zippyshare a fine upload service? I use neither google drive nor dropbox.
nikheizen

Postby Ferret » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:27 pm

zippyshare is fine. :D Throw me a link when you're ready.

So alright, it doesn't happen right away... that is definitely... odd.

I'll be up front on this point though: I don't actually have any access at all to a Linux box. I make them because with Unity they're about 99.8% or so likely to work anyway, but when something does go wrong, I have zero ability to test any potential fixes on this side. :( I will keep in mind the nature of the problem and try to limit how often I ask you to test something though. I'm actually more than a little horrified Demon is capable of causing problems *after* you've shut it down. :|
Ferret

Postby nikheizen » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:44 pm

Tested again, it seems to happen like so:

• Start a game.
  • Save.
  • Reboot system.
  • Start Demon.x86_64.
  • Some time after starting, the window will lose focus and freeze. Then the window will close and other windows will flash briefly on the screen. You can click on application shortcuts, windows etc., but it doesn't do anything.
  • After restarting again your progress is rolled back some.

Of note is the the game process does not close or exit even though the window is lost.

Simple workaround is just to run the x86 version.

Here's the save of my most recent test: http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/y1IbzAjG/file.html
nikheizen

Postby Ferret » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:04 pm

Cool, I'll check out the save file. :D Thanks!

I tried Googling for any answers a bit, before remembering Unity is, in Linux land, a desktop thingie or something, which makes searching for anything related to Unity games + Linux a singularly... difficult... experience. :P

I'm glad you at least have the 32 bit version to play though.

I'll let you know what I come up with from looking at the save file or, if nothing comes out of that, from further research. Thanks for helping me look into this. :D
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Hmm.. nothing unusual in the save file to help us, unfortunately. :(

I can make a development build that would post error messages when running, if you're willing to test it and see what it has to say. But I will confess I'm not optimistic: the fact that the 32 bit build works suggests the problem will prove to be something between Linux and Unity itself, rather than anything with Demon specifically.

That said, if you're willing to try the test, I'm willing to look at the results and see what we see. :)

Unless we get lucky there, my "fix" will probably be to add a readme file to the Linux versions indicating that compatibility may not be 100% for all versions of Linux.
Ferret

Postby nikheizen » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:02 am

Ferret wrote:the fact that the 32 bit build works suggests the problem will prove to be something between Linux and Unity itself, rather than anything with Demon specifically.

Don't worry because the 32 bit build's crashes are just as bad!
Approximately the same issue, although I don't get the slowdown and lose focus, my computer just crashes, destroying the error reports I should get in that circumstance (I think?). It only happens when loading a save file after closing the game.

I'm not super experienced with linux, but I'd be happy to run any debug builds you provide when I have time and then send you the stack traces etc.
nikheizen

Postby Ferret » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Well pooh. Let's see what happens with the debug build. :D

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

This includes 32 and 64 versions again. These builds have two functions that hopefully will help us find some answers.

1) They output error messages directly to the game window, sort of like this:

I added that "Hi!!" message, which will always get posted just after the title display, so you'd be able to see what it looks like in Linux right away just in case it is somehow/for some reason different from the Windows image there.

2) They send those, and a whole lot of other info, to a log file on your machine. Hopefully this will not be interfered with too much by the actual problems themselves, but we'll see. :P The location of the file on Linux machines is ~/.config/unity3d/CompanyName/ProductName/Player.log

In this case, Company Name is FerretDev.Org and ProductName is Demon, so you're looking for:

~/.config/unity3d/FerretDev.Org/Demon/Player.log

So, what to do? Fairly simple. :D Run the 32 bit version until it crashes, copy off the Player.log somewhere else. Run the 64 bit version until it crashes, copy off the Player.log again. Then, throw both Player.log copies you made up on zippy and throw me a link, and we'll see what we can see. :D Thanks, and good luck to both of us. :D
Ferret

Postby nikheizen » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:51 am

nikheizen

Next

Return to Bug Reports