Re: Linux x86_64 Build Crashing

Postby Ferret » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:12 pm

I'll take a look. :) Thanks!
Ferret

Postby Ferret » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:02 pm

Hmmm...

I've done a fair bit of digging. A brief summary of what I've found:

1) It is apparently not uncommon for some versions of Linux and Unity games to simply not get along. :( Part of what has made it difficult to research this problem is that there an awful lot of problems that come up when researching.
2) Based on the log and research based on the contents, my best guess is that something is going wrong with OpenGL.
3) However, since it seems to indicate you have the correct version installed, I'm not sure what to do about that...

I did find there is a way to force Unity to use different drivers, so let's try that.

Apparently if you run the game with the following command line options, you may get different results:

-force-opengl
-force-glcoreXY (where XY can be 32, 33, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, or 45.)

My recommendation would be to try three in this order:
-force-glcore32
-force-opengl
-force-glcore45

Though... oddly, while some of the Google research (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=96396) says these will work in Linux, Unity's own manual says they're Windows only. Well, if they really are Windows only, it will be a quick test. :P

Anyway, please continue using the version I sent, and copy out the logs for each of the three runs. You can use whichever of the 32 or 64 bit versions you prefer, based on the log, both are hitting the same problem anyway, just after different amounts of time.

I should stress again, with apologies, that this is guesswork. I wish I could be more certain of answers, but we're pretty deep in the weeds here in an OS I don't know much about. :P Good luck, and thank you for your patience and willingness to help out. :)
Ferret

Postby nikheizen » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:42 pm

Well unfortunately there were no logs.

Fortunately this was because the game didn't crash at all when any of these arguments were supplied to either version.

Putting a shell script in with the linux versions may help? I don't know if other people have had this error though.
Something like:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
./Demon.x86_64 --force-glcore32

Thanks for the help getting this running!
nikheizen

Postby Ferret » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:55 am

The heck? Literally any of the three work? What is this insanity? :P I would have expected at least one of those to just be the settings it was already trying to use, which begs the question what the heck settings IS it trying to use initially? :P

Ah, well. If the problem is well and truly fixed, I'm willing to let it go. :D

But, yes, I think I will add a readme file with some details on this bug. :) I have not heard of this crash before this, but... if we're being honest, based on my download stats, Linux players make up about 2% of the not exactly massive user base, soooo... :D

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to help you figure it out. :D Please let me know if anything else comes up. :D
Ferret

Previous

Return to Bug Reports