That monthly thread where i report a bug

Found a bug? Great! Post about it here!

That monthly thread where i report a bug

Postby geminimax » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:39 am

Uhhh... this time it's a weird one.

I was just auto-exploring when i ran just past this, and i was like "wait, what". So i walked back and took the screenshot.
I also have the savefile, but after closing and opening the game it just went away so i don't know if it'll be of any help.

Oh, you should probably fix this little thing too: when i'm playing directly from the zip file, after closing the game, winrar asks if i want to overwrite the current file. This means that one could cheat death by just choosing to not overwrite the last save when he dies. This could become a problem should someone choose to abuse this to get unfairly high scores( and it doesn't even have a soul cooldown!).

Here's the savefile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jbhxb3h99w08 ... d.zip?dl=0
geminimax

Re: That monthly thread where i report a bug

Postby Ferret » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:13 am

That... is an odd bug. A UI element is apparently not being disabled and just... sort of hanging out in the world. :D

I just finished putting together the 2/12 candidate, so it won't be fixed in that, which I'm okay with, since it's fairly minor, just a bit ugly. :)

As for the other... yeah, I will go ahead and admit save scumming is to some degree possible. The scoreboard was frankly a mistake in this regard: there is no way to really secure such a thing when the game is played entirely on users' computers, and not a client-server sort of setup. I decided long ago that I probably will not fight very hard to keep the scoreboard if cheating becomes an issue: I have no way to win that battle, and I'd rather work on the game than spend the time fighting a battle I can only lose. In such an event, the scoreboard would probably become local characters only.
Ferret

Postby Sandman25 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:24 am

I wouldn't worry about cheating, it's a single player local game after all and there is no way to prove that a player is really the person he claims to be. For example, I might easily say that I used "Azalac" name in my last game (the person has the highest score for the latest version of demon currently).

I seriously considered using save/load to become better at tactics (it greatly speeded up my learning of DCSS since I was learning it in 0.11 which was not user-friendly at all) but Demon shows almost everything you need to know so loading is not that useful IMHO as there are very few consumables and abilities to choose from (cf. with DCSS where a character can have several weapons, several spells, multiple evocables/potions/scrolls/wands etc.)
Sandman25

Postby geminimax » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:01 pm

I have nothing against save scumming, i just think it wouldn't work in a semi-competitive environment such as demon. That being said, i don't think the scoreboard is that much of a essential feature, although i do think it's a nice addition. It would be just be lame if the scoreboard was filled with ridiculously high numbers that are unattainable without the use of cheating.
geminimax

Postby Sandman25 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:35 pm

I cannot say that I like scoreboard. Being able to play without mandatory report could be good IMHO.

Edit. To clarify, I tried a single-demon challenge and also quit several characters.
Sandman25

Postby wizzzargh » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:09 pm

I like the DCSS scoreboard because it lets you look at morgue files. But at this stage of development isn't the scoreboard basically just a way for Ferret to see where people are dying?
wizzzargh

Postby Sandman25 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Probably there are some plans for scoreboard, dump files are already created automatically after dying.
Sandman25

Postby Ferret » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:55 pm

Yeah, the scoreboard at this point is just me granting visibility to (some of) the data I would be collecting even without the scoreboard. :D It was barely any trouble to add once I already was adding the game data tracking, so I went ahead and did it.

The only plan for the scoreboard long term is that it will probably eventually be made local only once people start poking holes in it. :P DCSS is played on a server (when playing online, at least, rather than a downloaded client) which allows some measure of security. Demon's not server based, soo... it will never be secure enough where I can totally prevent possible methods of cheating. As a result, it isn't really worth investing in unfortunately because at some point when Demon gets more popular, I'm probably going to be forced to turn it off or spend too much of my time trying to defend it.

I have already been tempted to remove it several times just to solve the issue now while there aren't many people to miss it. :P I consider it almost every build, but I haven't done it yet because I admit I still do like posting screenshots of it various places when we have notable wins and what not.
Ferret

Return to Bug Reports